NFL reportedly selling the Thursday Night Football Package

oklahomanewsman

http://www.businessinsider.com/nbc-universal-has-made-the-thursday-night-package-a-priority-2015-11

CBS, Fox, NBC and Turner all expressing interest in the Thursday games.

Surprised ESPN is not interested in them for ABC.

Reportedly, they also want to sell part of the NFL Network to one of these guys: http://nypost.com/2015/11/23/nfl-aims-to-rescue-network-with-thursday-night-football-bidding-war/

Surprised ESPN is not interested in them for ABC.

Reportedly, they also want to sell part of the NFL Network to one of these guys: http://nypost.com/2015/11/23/nfl-aims-to-rescue-network-with-thursday-night-football-bidding-war/

Since the last time ESPN reportedly bid, ABC has managed a real stronghold on Thursdays with TGIT. I doubt they want to fix an unbroken thing.

Since the last time ESPN reportedly bid, ABC has managed a real stronghold on Thursdays with TGIT. I doubt they want to fix an unbroken thing.

Bad timing. Same thing happened with the Sunday Night package, they had a strong Sunday lineup at the time. They could hold the TGIT shows to January and run strictly new episodes.

ESPN has had to tighten its belt, and Disney is not interested in putting NFL football back on ABC. I think they want to invest in the network as little as possible, seeing as how no one wants to buy it off of them.

ESPN has had to tighten its belt, and Disney is not interested in putting NFL football back on ABC. I think they want to invest in the network as little as possible, seeing as how no one wants to buy it off of them.

Yeah that's probably why ESPN isn't bidding for the TNF package. They're losing subscribers left and right and they're trying to retain as many subscribers as they can. Problem for ESPN is if someone like Apple comes in and outbids everybody for that package that subscriber base for ESPN will go down the tubes. Now the likelihood of someone like Apple getting TNF Package is next to 0.

Also if Fox or NBC gets it would they be inclined to place some of the games on their OTA Channels or on FS1 (should Fox get it) or NBCSN (Should NBC get it)?

I think in the end it's going to be either NBC or CBS. NBC has recently shown that when they want something - they will get it. Look at their recent deals extending the Olympics out of the blue and the long term contract for the Premiere League. CBS on the other hand is already teamed up with the NFL Network for the Thursday night games and have already got a contract extension for this season.

I think in the end it's going to be either NBC or CBS. NBC has recently shown that when they want something - they will get it. Look at their recent deals extending the Olympics out of the blue and the long term contract for the Premiere League. CBS on the other hand is already teamed up with the NFL Network for the Thursday night games and have already got a contract extension for this season.

My question is if NBC gets it would they be more inclined to place those games on NBC itself or on NBCSN?

Yeah that's probably why ESPN isn't bidding for the TNF package. They're losing subscribers left and right and they're trying to retain as many subscribers as they can. Problem for ESPN is if someone like Apple comes in and outbids everybody for that package that subscriber base for ESPN will go down the tubes. Now the likelihood of someone like Apple getting TNF Package is next to 0.

The death of ESPN is greatly exaggerated. With that said they likely won't bid. They put forth a half-hearted bid 2 years ago on behalf of ABC that was dismissed early on in the bidding process. And, in the grand scheme of things would the TNF package really increase the value of ESPN? Plus, you have the whole NFLN simulcast issue as well.

Would Yahoo be interested?

Yahoo! has their own issues right now. I think the NFL is focused more on the 9:30am ET slot being something they can eventually sell to a digital outlet like Yahoo! long-term. That slot has much more appeal for a digital outlet as they would be broadcasting to a global audience and that timeslot is during "daytime hours" in NA, SA, Europe, Africa and I believe some western parts of Asia.

The NFL has been on the record as preferring an OTA outlet to simulcast the games, so if NBC gets the package, the games will likely be on NBC.

To expand on that “Taking the biggest check has never been the driving force in using this package,” said Brian Rolapp, the NFL’s executive vice president of media. “We want to use it for more than that. We also want to use it for strategic purposes.” Which is why I think TNF will stay on CBS.

I think it's safe to rule out Turner and ESPN. As elaborated above I don't think ESPN will bid on ABC's behalf this time. So, that leaves two cable outlets which is a check in the wrong column. And, again unless they split the package they'd have to deal with the NFLN simulcast. As "cable only" bidders the simulcast negates some of the value to both Turner and ESPN.

That brings us to FOX and NBC. I truly think both parties would prefer to have the games on FS1 & NBCSN respectively. However, both will willingly put them on the OTA network to get the package. First, scheduling issues in October with MLB playoffs make FOX less than ideal. They could take the back half of the package. But, then you are loosing some of the "build-up" at the beginning of the season that OTA brings. And, the TNF matchups are set in stone so, the games could be a bunch of stinkers by the latter half of the season. Second, NBC could likely handle TNF just fine. The only issue is would NBC give TNF the same promotion CBS has? In other words would NBC be willing to promote the hell out of TNF and possibility have it overshadow SNF? I have my doubts. So, where does that leave us...

CBS. Of all the bidders they are the only one that can really do all the following: Put the games on an OTA network, Promote the hell out of the TNF package, be willing to simulcast with NFLN, etc. The TNF package has really only been around for a decade or so. And, in the last two years CBS has turn TNF package/franchise from an afterthought into something you could argue the is the NFL's second most important game of the week/package after SNF. And, their promotion and production has helped make TNF a big deal and in turn that has helped drive viewers to the NFLN-only games in the second half of the year. CBS checks all of the NFL's boxes for what they are trying to accomplish with TNF. I expect TNF to remain status quo on CBS and NFLN for the long-term. However, CBS will kick in more coin this time around...and, they will gladly do so.

WRT, the NFLN equity stake. I'm not 100% sure it will be tied to a deal for TNF. It's possible...even likely it could happen at some point. It's just another asset the NFL is looking to further monetize. NFLN is close to if not already at the highest point it can achieve under 100% NFL ownership. Can the league really extract much more from NFLN? If they brought aboard an equity partner with other cable outlets they could likely extract some more incremental revenue from carriage fees. Plus, the league would get a lump sum check for the equity stake as well. In some was it's the same dilemma MLB has had with BAM Tech and the some of the various team owned RSNs the past few years. You can only go so far going it alone.

On a somewhat related note I wish they would dump this "Color Rush" nonsense for TNF. It's not going to happen but, I can wish. And, based on this years "Color Rush" games I'm afraid of the eyesores that will likely be gracing the field next year.

On a somewhat related note I wish they would dump this "Color Rush" nonsense for TNF. It's not going to happen but, I can wish. And, based on this years "Color Rush" games I'm afraid of the eyesores that will likely be gracing the field next year.

I want to see an all-blue Bears getup, and THEN they can burn the whole thing to the ground. That is all.

I want to see an all-blue Bears getup, and THEN they can burn the whole thing to the ground. That is all.

HA HA HA, while were at they should allow the throwbacks! but atleast they did dallas' "color rush" uni right but watching them get blasted on thanksgiving was not fun!

HA HA HA, while were at they should allow the throwbacks! but atleast they did dallas' "color rush" uni right but watching them get blasted on thanksgiving was not fun!

The Carolina unis in that game were pretty bad-ass, too.

Anyway...

The death of ESPN is greatly exaggerated. With that said they likely won't bid. They put forth a half-hearted bid 2 years ago on behalf of ABC that was dismissed early on in the bidding process. And, in the grand scheme of things would the TNF package really increase the value of ESPN? Plus, you have the whole NFLN simulcast issue as well.

To me if ESPN can keep up with the ever changing consumer habits and perhaps start being offered directly to consumers (which is still long ways off from even being materialized) then ESPN will be just fine if they don't do something about the changing habits of the consumers that's where the problems for ESPN will come in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FIXED.

On a different note, CBS lost the NFL after the 1993 season, and quickly learned that they benefited best by getting back in, and regained an NFL package in 1998. NBC lost the NFL after the 1997 season, and regained it in 2006. Fox learned what a big boost the NFL would provide and joined in 1994. ABC has been without the NFL since the end of the 2005 season, and other than simulcasting ESPN's wild card game this year, hasn't had an NFL game since then. While they don't seem to be in the running for the Thursday Night package (although that would be perfect for them if they didn't have TGIT hits - oddly enough they didn't go after the SNF package because they had their hit shows on Sundays at that time), I was wondering if there has been any thought of them simulcasting Monday Night Football (ESPN). It wouldn't be a bad idea, ABC gets back the NFL and NFL/ESPN get more ratings.

Archived