New Set for WSB Coming Soon?

toxictwister00

I for one love that nothing has leaked out yet. It shows that everyone there is dedicated to getting the project done while surprising viewers and competitors.

I personally never get excited to see a leaked set photo. There are so many LED curtains and monitor walls on sets these days, you absolutely can't tell how the finished product will look on air when you're looking at a dark, incomplete set.

Patience.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see when this debuts. I have feeling this will be a big and beautiful new set. Probably better than WFTV's. They should also get new graphics/logo. I don't care for WSB that much. WAGA FOX 5 is my favorite in Atlanta.

Sweeps don't start until February 4th, so there you have a rough estimate of the latest possible date for debut.

I thought the February sweeps period started earlier than that.

I don't blame WSB for keeping things hush-hush with the new set, especially if their intent is to "one-up" everybody else in Atlanta (including WAGA's set, which Devlin also designed). For all we know, it may wind up being similar to KIRO's new set, but done on a much grander scale (though not to ESPN-esque levels like SportsCenter's).

• 2 weeks later...
[MEDIA=instagram]BAakVFgC0Im[/MEDIA]

Here is sneak peek at their new set on Instagram posted today.

Looks like they might be using those vertical, moving LCD screens ESPN uses. Maybe, but it's hard to tell from that pic.

Guest NewsHound
Here is a 30-second time lapse video of the set strike posted to the WSB facebook page. The video also announces that the new set will be revealed this month.

Am I the only one who thinks the music they used in this video sounds oddly like This is Home? Quite ironic. I know it isn't, but WXIA does use a cut that sounds awfully similar.

Here is a 30-second time lapse video of the set strike posted to the WSB facebook page. The video also announces that the new set will be revealed this month.

One more short clip to add. Reactions from some of the on-air talent walking into the studio for the first time (including a cameo by John Pruitt and Monica Pearson). Sounds like it's going to be a winner...hopefully! Can't wait to see it soon.

^ They actually made your second video you posted into a promo. I just saw it on TV about a couple of minutes ago. Just as it's been already said, it will be unveiled this month.

Cool! I'll have to look for it! I'm sure it will be unveiled sometime during the last week of January to lead into February sweeps.

Wow. I am in love with this set.

It's dark, warm and vibrant, but with nice peeks of color everywhere via the lighting across the set-up. And the camera track above and the "storytelling wall" are genius elements to it, and the screens at the weather center are also great ideas.

This set was made for WSB.

I thought DDG couldn't top themselves with their set for WAGA, but they did!

Great job to everyone involved at DDG.

Wow. I am in love with this set.

It's dark, warm and vibrant, but with nice peeks of color everywhere via the lighting across the set-up. And the camera track above and the "storytelling wall" are genius elements to it, and the screens at the weather center are also great ideas.

This set was made for WSB.

I thought DDG couldn't top themselves with their set for WAGA, but they did!

Great job to everyone involved at DDG.

I agree, this set definitely fits WSB's style. A good (or bad depending on how you feel about it) it gives off a KIRO vibe, only as you said more warm and vibrant. I really like the set up for the weather center, tracking camera and storytelling wall. I can't wait to see how it all flows together once the final touches are done and ready!

Guest NewsHound
Not a fan so far. Expected a little more from WSB.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The set is very nice and warm and contemporary. However, this is Atlanta. I may have to actually see it on the air to appreciate it, but it doesn't feel very big market. It reminds me of a cross between KIRO and WBTV, and its a shame when your station in Orlando has a 2 story massive gorgeous set and your flagship in a larger market isn't getting anything mind-blowing, except maybe the track camera thing is cool...

Will it beat WAGA for best set in the market? Yes it will. Will it be the biggest and best set that this market deserves? Not really.

Interesting. It's a nice set, but a little underwhelming for WSB. I just have to see it in action. Does anybody know if they will get new graphics too? The backgrounds on the screens make it look like they might. They could use some new, fresher graphics.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The set is very nice and warm and contemporary. However, this is Atlanta. I may have to actually see it on the air to appreciate it, but it doesn't feel very big market. It reminds me of a cross between KIRO and WBTV, and its a shame when your station in Orlando has a 2 story massive gorgeous set and your flagship in a larger market isn't getting anything mind-blowing, except maybe the track camera thing is cool...

Will it beat WAGA for best set in the market? Yes it will. Will it be the biggest and best set that this market deserves? Not really.

Honestly, I've always felt the previous set was very underwhelming for all the same reasons you mentioned, it always looked generic and boring to me. Before WAGA, WXIA, and WGCL upgraded I felt all their sets were way better than WSB. I guess I'm more impressed (so far) because my expectations was set very low for this new set to begin with. I agree that opinions may change once we actually see the whole set in action live on air. I used to think WXIA and WGCL's current sets looked respectable for them, now not so much.

EDIT: I do also like how it's much more spacious for the anchors/meteorologists to move around. That will be a nice change of pace.

Keep in mind that WSB has always had ok sets....never any game changers when it came to sets, however they have always invested in other tools such as personnel, live trucks, they have two choppers.

I really like this set and can't wait to see it on the air

The story-telling wall is an interesting part of their new set. Can't wait to see how they fully utilize it as a whole.

While the new set isn't as great as I thought it would be, it is a workable design for a top 10 market, and actually has a lot of innovative stuff that could actually put the other stations to shame (BTW, I think WXIA's set looks like shit compared to the rest, but that's just me).

Archived