New Set for WSB Coming Soon?

toxictwister00

Other than old habits, how are they number 1? Am I missing something?

Newspaper roots (AJC) and talent continuity have historically kept WSB #1. However, with the retirement of long-time talent (Monica Pearson, John Pruitt, Chuck Dowdle,) and a spirited challenge from WAGA, I feel that WSB's dominance is going to slip sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, this newscast is unpleasant to watch. I've seen cardboard cut-outs with better delivery and presence. The flow of the newscast is just weird, too. Despite the hype, they're making very little effort to show off the new set (which looks very good), outside of a few panning shots.

Other than old habits, how are they number 1? Am I missing something?

They needed to rehearse a while longer with some of the shots. People need to understand that with anything new it takes some time to get fully adjusted. Personally, I like the set. It suits WSB. It has a warm, classy feeling that I think most viewers enjoy. Who would want it to look so similar to the others anyway?

I found a video today of Brad Nitz showing off the new set to 4th graders.

(It's weird seeing the weather center on the left side instead of the right side where it's always been)

Well to be fair it is on the right, that is house right. :cool:

Although the reviews seem mixed on this forum, the set appears to be well received based on viewers social media comments. If you haven't read Rodney Ho's AJC blog post, you should. It will more insight about the intent of this new set. I know it's frustrating for some, but remember the set design wasn't intended to jar viewers. Again, this is how WSB has worked for a long time. It is inviting, warm, and feels intimate (which is key for this station). We'll see small elements and changes being included as time progresses ( such as the touch screen). As mentioned in the blog, they'll evolve into it. The set received the update it needed, but familiarity is what keeps this station going. You could definitely tell there were some hiccups during the 5 and 6pm broadcast, but things will get better as the talent become more comfortable with the technology and set.

On a side note...Glenn Burns should probably invest some slightly more tailored slacks now that we have full length shots of the meteorologists at times.

Why do people expect stations to show off every single new shot/feature of the set on its first day? Everyone at WSB involved with each newscast is trying to keep their head above water...from Production learning everything (camera blocking/effects) to the Producers in how they showcase a story, to the Anchors knowing where to stand and when they need to be in place...it's better to have a clean show on your first day than it is to have a show that crashes and burns. At least they're not blowing cues like WLS does with the "Live Shot in Big Wall Over Talent's Shoulder" effect.

Newspaper roots (AJC) and talent continuity have historically kept WSB #1. However, with the retirement of long-time talent (Monica Pearson, John Pruitt, Chuck Dowdle,) and a spirited challenge from WAGA, I feel that WSB's dominance is going to slip sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

Another factor is that the controlling family and a good chunk of the board of directors live in metro Atlanta, some of whom prolly have the hotline number to the GM's office and the newsroom.

Tim McVay, WSB's GM seems very happy with the new set. Stations should make a big deal about a new look internally in addition to all of the external promotion. It's great for morale and celebrates all the hard work done by all. Nicely done Mr. McVay, you are a class act! http://www.wsbtv.com/gallery/news/local/celebrating-new-set-channel-2-action-news/gCY99/#8621222

Out of all the sets Cox have build this past year I'd put WSB at #3, it's a modern simple look but isn't highly technical. Number 1 would be WFTV and WHIO at number 2 due to both being flashy and having video screens on the desk and backdrop.

It amazes me, and is a little bit beyond comprehension, to hear people wail & moan about this set being conventional - and fitting to the station's "tradition. "

Unsurprisingly, it's a lot of the same folks who are quick to defend WPVI and WJZ on the basis of ..."tradition."

Do you think "tradition" only exists in those two markets, exclusively? That somehow Philly & Bmore exist in their own little world where progress doesn't apply?

And just because "Station A" got a state of the art studio revamp doesn't mean "Station B" has to top it just, well, because.

Trust me, the people who are running these tv stations know a helluva lot more about what works at their station, in their market, than a bunch of fanboys (myself included) on a forum.

It amazes me, and is a little bit beyond comprehension, to hear people wail & moan about this set being conventional - and fitting to the station's "tradition. "

Unsurprisingly, it's a lot of the same folks who are quick to defend WPVI and WJZ on the basis of ..."tradition."

Do you think "tradition" only exists in those two markets, exclusively? That somehow Philly & Bmore exist in their own little world where progress doesn't apply?

And just because "Station A" got a state of the art studio revamp doesn't mean "Station B" has to top it just, well, because.

Trust me, the people who are running these tv stations know a helluva lot more about what works at their station, in their market, than a bunch of fanboys (myself included) on a forum.

Well said!

Hardly, WSB still get 50% of the audience compare to the other three stations in the market. I'm fan of the WSB-TV but it would be nice to see the competition challenge the market leader. However, WSB always looks at the competition as "less than" in their book. I read that WSB looks at WPVI & WABC as their competition.

Archived