New Set for WSB Coming Soon?

toxictwister00

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NewsHound
So basically, no new set. This thread should be closed then.

Well not necessarily, maintenance could mean a slight set refresh. Maybe not a totally new set, but definitely a possibility they are refreshing elements on the old one. There has to be a reason why they are not broadcasting on the main set all this time, they could easily do "maintenance" between newscasts. To actually put them in the newsroom means something bigger is happening in the studio, maybe some new monitors, fresh coat of paint, maybe a new desk.

Is it a completely new studio? No absolutely not, it would take weeks to gut it and build something new. I do have a feeling that it's getting refreshed though, and if i'm wrong, then WSB is absolutely stupid to move them out of the studio for something they can do between newscasts.

I'm still guessing that WSB will be receiving a new set. Although it appears that as of last night that newscasts are taking place on the regular set, it looks as though it's a temporary set. The set lighting seems different, slightly harsh to me. Lighting during the weather segments looks different as well. Also, rather than cut to the meteorologist in the Severe Weather Center 2 set, they continue to cut to the weather personality standing in front of the chroma key at the start of each segment. Which leads me to believe that broadcasts are not taking place in the normal studio. Just my observations that leads me to believe that changes are coming. So technically the response from WSB on Facebook is correct. They are back in place, but it's a temporary set.

WFTV in Orlando (which is owned by Cox) made a similar move over the summer by temporarily reconstructing their "old" set in a different studio while a new set was being built. The new set for WFTV looks great. KIRO in Seattle (also owned by Cox) did the same earlier this fall. With WSB being the flagship for Cox, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new set early next year.

Well, maybe they are. I just read Brandon's post and, maybe they rebuilt their set somewhere else to make room for a new one just like all other Cox stations who got a new set did. They were probably in the newsroom over the weekend because they can't be in the studio while it is being destroyed. We'll have to see.

WSB set has to be on the same wave link as WFTV, and since WAGA has that nice set. Something tells me that WSB has to go big or go home. WAGA has the best set in the market, followed by WSB, WXIA then WGCL. Being the market leader you have to do it big, and I'm hoping they do, and not give us WPXI set.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anybody have any information on when this set will debut? It's been about a month now.

Why does everyone assume a set needs to be done in a month???? I feel at some point people on here collectively decided the timeframe for set installs should be based on the average it took to install some FX set-in-a-can back in 2007, back when sets were some duratrans and lightboxes with a RP screen or two. That's certainly not the case for most sets today and definitely not the case with Devlin's sets.

Striking the set takes a few days. Maybe you paint or epoxy the floor.. that takes a couple days. Maybe you need to rip up the tile floor and replace that - that takes a few more days than just painting. The pieces arrive and start going in. You need to run new electrical. You need to run dozens of video, audio, and data cables... New equipment (Monitor wall controllers, routers, KVM switches, etc) needs to be installed and configured. A vendor needs to install something and maybe they're not going to travel around the holidays... This all takes time, and it takes more time as sets get larger and more complex, which tends to describe a Devlin set.

Also, it's December and most people are off. Believe me, Management rather the set debut a bit later than have Engineering come in on Christmas for triple overtime.

Sweeps don't start until February 4th, so there you have a rough estimate of the latest possible date for debut.

I didn't say it had to be built in a month. I meant that they should be making decent progress because it has been a month, and I haven't heard anything about it in a month. There is no way a 2 semi set from Devlin could be built in a month! :)

I have yet to find any pictures or anything online giving the slightest information on any progress or a debut. This is, as most of us expected, a very secret project. WSB is getting exactly what they want from the public -- excitement and anticipation.

Also, the slightest ounce of common sense would let any of us know that two 53' truckloads of materials would NOT be erected in a month, two weeks or two days; however, many of us are looking for updates. This thread is for that very purpose, after all. This is probably going to be one of the biggest projects for 2016. WSB and Cox is going to make sure every detail is 100% perfect.

If they went to great lengths to replicate the temp set to look like the old one, and have not made any mention of getting a new set then don't expect much in the way of leaks.

Archived