Severe Weather, how your station handles it.

FirstNews8

Hurricanes obviously get Wall to Wall coverage.

cfif: you know I am right and not exaggerating when I say, some stations in Tampa are trying to hype the storm when it is a cloud belch off of the coast of Africa or somewhere around the ITCZ.

Basically, all the stations of Tampa, WWSB excluded in this comment, try to show how their technologies are the best, the most pinpointed, detailed, etc. which does not matter when your power has gone out.

The afternoon storms??? they still can't accurately forecast how strong a storm will be. Some locally may remember the storm of Jan. 2006? We received a summer of rain in 2 hours. - Bed Bath and Beyond's oof caved, along with some other small stores. - local media screwed upthe forecasting as to how strong the storm would be. That was 10am in a slow part of the season.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorta lucky, i get two markets. Terre Haute, and Indianapolis.

Here's the Break Down...

Terre Haute

WTHI WTHI will break in if a tornado is present on the Indiana side of the market, or close to the ILLIANA boarder (Indiana Illinois state line).

WTWO WTWO doesn't really care. They supposedly got a new radar, but they hardly ever break in for anything.

Indianapolis

WISH WISH is on the ball when severe weather comes to town. They usually update every half hour on severe thunderstorm warnings (just one or two) when a tornado warning is issued they come on the air as quick as possible. They also have LWS (local weather station), which they use during snow coverage. Also during snow coverage they use LWS, no matter what time it is. They usually start "24 Hour News 8 @ 5" at 4, and usually start "24 Hour News 8's Daybreak" at 4 in the morning instead of it's normal 5.

WTHR WTHR and WISH are always competing in Weather Coverage. Once WTHR notices WISH is on (or vis versa) they come on.

WRTV "RTV 6" is usually on last. Once they come on they usually get the facts out, and then sign off.

WXIN usually has a crawl and that's it.

• 3 months later...

I must say that in Cleveland, WEWS has the best coverage. In fact today when severe storms ripped through the area, NewsChannel 5 provided 4 hours of coverage from to the last GMA local news cut-in (8:55) to the end of their hour-long noon news (12-1pm.)

These storms were bad, causing heavy flooding.

Archived