WBTW To Get New Set

Daybreak

WBTW is getting a new set in a couple of months. They have been in the now previous set since 2007 that eventually got a refresh in 2012. Below is the current set, and a rendering of new set from jhd group. I don't know if they are building the new set but we will see.

Current Set (pre 2012):

1997533332_Screenshot2015-11-15at5_58_40PM.png.e924ba285115b04732235c5c5f05354c.png

Set Tear Down:

[MEDIA=instagram]-EtZdGPTmz[/MEDIA]

Rendering from JHD Group:

1082379754_Screenshot2015-11-15at6_01_15PM.thumb.png.e9de0aedcd15340e221e5077213052e8.png

WBTW is getting a new set in a couple of months. They have been in the now previous set since 2007 that eventually got a refresh in 2012. Below is the current set, and a rendering of new set from jhd group. I don't know if they are building the new set but we will see.

Current Set (pre 2012):

[ATTACH=full]2450[/ATTACH]

Set Tear Down:

[MEDIA=instagram]-EtZdGPTmz[/MEDIA]

Rendering from JHD Group:

[ATTACH=full]2450[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2450[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]2451[/ATTACH]

Not a fan of the render, but are they certain WBTW is going to use the WNCN/WSPA graphics after? My guess is that they'll end up using WJTV or WATE's set of graphics.

I wouldn't trust JHD Group's website in terms of the kind of set WBTW might be getting since all of the renderings on the site (outside of WJZY's "lounge" set) are conceptual and were likely turned down by the stations they pitched to in favor of other designers (i.e., WAGA and WTVT went with Devlin; WLS went with Jack Morton PDG).

They are not getting a virtual set. If that was the case, they wouldn't need to take 2 months to debut it.

It actually took WKBN FOUR months to debut its virtual set. The set pictures were leaked out in November and didn't debut until February.

I wouldn't trust JHD Group's website in terms of the kind of set WBTW might be getting since all of the renderings on the site (outside of WJZY's "lounge" set) are conceptual and were likely turned down by the stations they pitched to in favor of other designers (i.e., WAGA and WTVT went with Devlin; WLS went with Jack Morton PDG).

I feel like this post needs more attention paid to it.

Set/graphic design companies would never release photos of a project yet to be finished.

Agreed! Media General probably did a three station deal with Devlin (WJTV, WTNH, and now most likely WBTW). The timing of the roll-out is about right, and given Media General's style of economizing that scenario would seem fit their MO...speaking of Media General and sets, I heard that their corporate set & graphics person was let go recently.

Why are people saying that this is going to be a virtual set. I haven't even heard that from the people at WBTW. Let's not get carry away like how people did When everybody thought the were going to change WFTS branding with the new set.

• 3 weeks later...

Devlin tweeted that they were on their way to the Palmetto state. So I'm assuming they are the one building the set. I guess the set will look like WJTV and WNHT sets. I do hope the anchors have a desk they can sit down to instead of standing. (I loath standing news desk)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's amazing that some people still don't get the corporate decision making model when it comes to all things creative. aka; Cheaper by the dozen or "economies of scale" I believe is the current corporate mantra. This has been happening for year's now with sets and graphics. If corporate could clone you they'd do it to save a buck and keep their year end bonus intact. I doubt the creative people like doing the same set over and over regardless of who they work for, but the station groups set the marketplace to a large degree now. Too many bean counters and not enough visionaries left in this business. Almost all set projects have to be approved at the corporate level these days, and while WBTW's set may not be an original on a countrywide scale, it will most likely kick ass in Myrtle Beach. That's the primary benefit that corporate is hoping for with the multi-set approach. I've seen this set in action and I'd take it over the FX set we have now in a heartbeat. Better to climb off the high horse and try to understand the beast we all work for, you might then be able to have a better appreciation for some of the more positive nuances in television. Just saying.

It's amazing that some people still don't get the corporate decision making model when it comes to all things creative. aka; Cheaper by the dozen or "economies of scale" I believe is the current corporate mantra. This has been happening for year's now with sets and graphics. If corporate could clone you they'd do it to save a buck and keep their year end bonus intact. I doubt the creative people like doing the same set over and over regardless of who they work for, but the station groups set the marketplace to a large degree now. Too many bean counters and not enough visionaries left in this business. Almost all set projects have to be approved at the corporate level these days, and while WBTW's set may not be an original on a countrywide scale, it will most likely kick ass in Myrtle Beach. That's the primary benefit that corporate is hoping for with the multi-set approach. I've seen this set in action and I'd take it over the FX set we have now in a heartbeat. Better to climb off the high horse and try to understand the beast we all work for, you might then be able to have a better appreciation for some of the more positive nuances in television. Just saying.

You're totally right. I was watching the news with some friends and they love the set. To them, its the best in the market. I know we seen way better and innovative, but for MB/Florence it works. My only problem is like I stated numerous times, I hare the standing news anchor trend. Its so odd but many people love it.

You're totally right. I was watching the news with some friends and they love the set. To them, its the best in the market. I know we seen way better and innovative, but for MB/Florence it works. My only problem is like I stated numerous times, I hare the standing news anchor trend. Its so odd but many people love it.

I have heard that anchor stand-up area referred to as "The Booty Wall".

Everything is there on display there for that male (14-83) demo.

Surely we can all agree that it is a VAST IMPROVEMENT over what they had before with those simple, boring, 00s duratrans. In that regard, yes, the set is state of the art, especially when you consider a market the size of Myrtle Beach. Hell the thing looks better than the Scripps station in KC.

Archived