WSAZ 'Charleston Split' question

mvcg66b3r

WILM in Wilmington NC simulcasts WRAL's morning, noon, 6p, and 11p newscasts, along with inserting a quick Wilmington weather outlook that doesn't air on WRAL. I don't recall if they air any specific issues related to the city, as it's been years since I've been there, but I do recall the weather forecasts.

WILM in Wilmington NC simulcasts WRAL's morning, noon, 6p, and 11p newscasts, along with inserting a quick Wilmington weather outlook that doesn't air on WRAL. I don't recall if they air any specific issues related to the city, as it's been years since I've been there, but I do recall the weather forecasts.

Plus all weekend newscasts (minus the 10pm from WRAZ).

Used to until January 5th, 2015 when they stopped doing it. Now, its just a simulcast of KXXV 25's morning (4:30-7:00am), midday (11:00-11:30am) and 5:00pm newscasts on weekdays.

I think KWTX 10/KBTX 3 has always been separate but actually (DISCLAMER - following information from Wikipedia), KCEN 6/KAGS 23 was like one from 2003-2011 when KAGS was KMAY-LP and simulcasted KCEN with no local programming. London then relaunched KMAY as KAGS-LD in 2011 with a small scale news department.

So to answer your question... KWTX/KBTX? No. KCEN/KAGS? Yes.

KAGS goes back even further than KMAY : K76CL > K63DL > KMAY > KAGS (K76CL and K63DL were how we could get NBC in the dorm at Texas A&M in the 80s without cable) - without cable, you had KBTX, KAMU, and (if the antenna was pointed just right) K76CL/K63DL. No ABC, no Fox, no independents...

Also, IIRC, sometime during the late 90s/early 2000s, KBTX and KWTX ran some shared local news programming - I believe it was noon, but could have been 5pm. Not sure if I have something on tape...

Jim

Also, IIRC, sometime during the late 90s/early 2000s, KBTX and KWTX ran some shared local news programming - I believe it was noon, but could have been 5pm. Not sure if I have something on tape...

Jim

The NMSA has a sample for a combined noon open.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I read on another thread that WSAZ no longer does a Charleston Split. The two anchors based in Charleston and Huntington appear side by side at the open and throughout the newscast; they both say good night at the end. Also, W16CE may be silent.

I'll just add for a comparison from up here;

CFRN Edmonton (CTV) produces 5-minute inserts for several markets in Northern Alberta.  They're seen on cable/transmitters.  CFCN Calgary produces a separate 5pm show for the Lethbridge area before taking the 6pm show.

CTV Saskatchewan does something similar with stations in Yorkton/Regina and Prince Albert/Saskatoon.  Unlike the above stations, these stations are all separately licensed but the smaller stations take their news from larger nearby markets and have done so for many years.

The Atlantic and Northern Ontario stations for CTV air the same newscasts with no inserts/opt-outs.

9 minutes ago, mvcg66b3r said:

Do they air separate advertising?

They can - technically the 3 Atlantic and 4 Northern Ontario stations are licensed separately (their own call letters) with small local sales teams, creative staff and news reporters sending reports to one central location - Halifax for the Atlantic and North Bay in Ontario.

The master controls are hubbed out however to Toronto.

1 hour ago, mvcg66b3r said:

I read on another thread that WSAZ no longer does a Charleston Split. The two anchors based in Charleston and Huntington appear side by side at the open and throughout the newscast; they both say good night at the end. Also, W16CE may be silent.

FCC did greenlight the silent STA for W16CE last month (after they turned it on for a couple of days, I guess to keep the license intact).

But they filed to convert the signal into digital on channel 27 (W27EF-D), And the FCC granted that last month.

It remains to be seen if they're going to light this up. after conversion.

• 1 year later...
On 12/30/2018 at 11:41 PM, CircleSeven said:

FCC did greenlight the silent STA for W16CE last month (after they turned it on for a couple of days, I guess to keep the license intact).

But they filed to convert the signal into digital on channel 27 (W27EF-D), And the FCC granted that last month.

It remains to be seen if they're going to light this up. after conversion.

It went live on November 25.

Even WOWK tried a split-screen newscast in the final days of their ownership by Gateway.  When they were sold to SJL, that went away and the news was anchored solely in Huntington, until the station itself packed up and moved to Charleston in 2012.

Another reason the split screen may have fizzled out too was when Tom McGee was fired, again.  Unlike the time before and the time after which were DUI related, this one was related to his newsroom antics.

Archived