Should Voice Over Announcers Use Their Same Voice for Ads Airing on Their Channel

rkolsen

Should Voice Over Announcers Use Their Same Voice for Ads Airing on Their Channel  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should Voice Over Announcers Use Their Same Voice for Ads Airing on Their Channel

• Yes
    • No

I've noticed recently in the past year or so there have been several instances of commercials that (I assume) to be produced by WJZ have used the same voice over artist. Now I understand voice over artists have different "voices" but these advertisements sound just like make voice that does most of there work. These companies that advertise appear to have no "editorial" connection to WJZ's newscasts. So it's not like an extension of product placement.

WJZ is the only station in Baltimore that airs advertisements like those.

I've noticed recently in the past year or so there have been several instances of commercials that (I assume) to be produced by WJZ have used the same voice over artist. Now I understand voice over artists have different "voices" but these advertisements sound just like make voice that does most of there work. These companies that advertise appear to have no "editorial" connection to WJZ's newscasts. So it's not like an extension of product placement.

I completely agree. While it would obviously cost more, I would advocate for having an exclusive arrangement for news voiceovers.

It's just a voice reading copy... I'm the early days the talent themselves pitched a product for a sponsor of a show by holding it up... Things have evolved but not grown out of that. Those ads are produced by the stations ad department... It's not terribly unusual...

Is it the Station VO reading car dealership ads, or a voice that you have heard in several different local ads? I don't think either is a huge deal, especially the latter.

It's the former. It's the exact same voice that's used in the news opens, talent rejoins and certain promos. The same voice being used for different commercials (not things like "closed captioning provided by" type of announcements) within the newscast.

To me I just thought it was strange and using the same voice over artist implies a connection/endorsement to a product in my mind.

• 1 month later...

WKRG is a major offender of this. One second, you'll hear his voice on a promo advocating the station, and the next, you'll hear him on a furniture store ad (that happens to run on all the OTHER local stations!)

I don't think it's intentional....it's just cheap and short-sighted. What if the furniture store was a subject of an ACTUAL news story?

There are coincidences.....like with MeTV. Richard Malmos does VO work for them on behalf of the network (WKRG has MeTV) while Richard is the main station voice for WEAR (on behalf of Sinclair.)

Then again, Richard leverages his voice for Ring of Honor too....(imagine going from a station promo focusing on government accountability to a ROH promo about Bonecrusher taking on the champion Tableslammer!!!!)

The moral of the story.....stations get what they pay for.

They underpay for a voice that could go ANYWHERE, and not invest in someone who will only focus their voice on a particular product.

WKRG is a major offender of this. One second, you'll hear his voice on a promo advocating the station, and the next, you'll hear him on a furniture store ad (that happens to run on all the OTHER local stations!)

I don't think it's intentional....it's just cheap and short-sighted. What if the furniture store was a subject of an ACTUAL news story?

There are coincidences.....like with MeTV. Richard Malmos does VO work for them on behalf of the network (WKRG has MeTV) while Richard is the main station voice for WEAR (on behalf of Sinclair.)

Then again, Richard leverages his voice for Ring of Honor too....(imagine going from a station promo focusing on government accountability to a ROH promo about Bonecrusher taking on the champion Tableslammer!!!!)

The moral of the story.....stations get what they pay for.

They underpay for a voice that could go ANYWHERE, and not invest in someone who will only focus their voice on a particular product.

Do people need to be reminded of the good old fashion "Booth Announcer" at most stations...way long ago.

They read just about everything for the station.

The real good announcers could read "in color".

Back in the 1990's in Pittsburgh, while KDKA-TV utilized Bill Hamilton for their News related announcing*, at the same time Mr. Hamilton was the voice in spots on radio and tv for the Pittsburgh-based Kaufmann's department stores.

*non news related announcing was handled by Larry Richert

Archived