NWA_TV_guy

Media General's WJTV in Jackson, Miss. launched new graphics, ditching the "curved" graphics that many of the MG stations put into commission since 2012-2013.

NOTE: WJTV 12 has completely ditched the "News Channel" branding, which was in the works since the new set debuted several months ago. The station is still using Canvas by Stephen Arnold Music.

1783165815_wjtvnewgraphics.JPG.6745d0480dd4d4b9cf4b5173a791960a.JPG

1629852162_wjtvnewgraphics2.JPG.7e9ebcd8c5b4ca6c41eea7c450f59ffb.JPG

NOTE: WJTV 12 has completely ditched the "News Channel" branding, which was in the works since the new set debuted several months ago. The station is still using Canvas by Stephen Arnold Music.

Then how come in the opens, they still say "WJTV NewsChannel 12" ?

Then how come in the opens, they still say "WJTV NewsChannel 12" ?

They've been in a period of transition for many months. About the only time you'll hear the word NewsChannel is in that VO you referenced. Mostly their branding is spoken as WJTV and visually it's tagged as WJTV 12.

I heard directly from a credible inside source that the calls have taken prominence due to a change in how credit is now given to a station for the ratings and that this should help them. Personally I liked their JTV 12 branding from years ago. Research showed that it was extremely popular, but Media General killed that off in the late 90's for the NewsChannel branding.

All in all this new look is miles ahead of the cheap, blue MG graphics they were using.

They've been in a period of transition for many months. About the only time you'll hear the word NewsChannel is in that VO you referenced. Mostly their branding is spoken as WJTV and visually it's tagged as WJTV 12.

I heard directly from a credible inside source that the calls have taken prominence due to a change in how credit is now given to a station for the ratings and that this should help them. Personally I liked their JTV 12 branding from years ago. Research showed that it was extremely popular, but Media General killed that off in the late 90's for the NewsChannel branding.

All in all this new look is miles ahead of the cheap, blue MG graphics they were using.

I don't understand why it's still NC12 in the opening V/O, but as promoguy98 mentioned, that's the only place you'll hear it. I figure they didn't update it with a new V/O for the graphics switch for whatever reason.

I just realized that WLNS also has these graphics. How recent is this?

http://wlns.com/2015/11/02/governor-snyder-talks-solutions-to-costly-higher-education/

I had just noticed that myself.. Had to have been recently.. Their overall logo got a refresh too.. Looks much better than it did...

The only bad thing about these graphics are they are not 4:3 friendly. WJTV has the time/temp bug in a box on the right and the box on the left with the various images that zoom forward. Both are pretty much cut in half.

The open is bad...Millennium News is a totally out-there and unexpected choice. Would not have been the first package I'd have guessed would be resurrected from the Package Graveyard.

Then again...who saw the WGEM Custom Package ever coming back in any form? (on KOLR of all stations)

WHLT in Hattiesburg, a satellite of WJTV, is using these graphics. For those of you who do not know, WJTV produces WHLT's only newscast at 10:00 p.m. weeknights.

Does WHLT use Canvas now? I remember seeing a clip from that station, and they were using the old JDK package with the last graphics package, even after WJTV switched its music.

I"m not too sure about the wider rollout of this Scripps-esque package. It's good on a station or two, but seeing it make it's way onto a legacy station could spell the future.....

In the past, it's been the smaller companies that have been emulating the larger ones. Now that Media General has eclipsed Scripps (and others....), these ripoffs are going to be much more noticeable.

I have to wonder who at Media General has an unhealthy obsession with Scripps....

Remember the "Now" ripoff from WTHI I dug up a few months back?

Archived