KFMB Radio stations in JOA with Local Media San Diego radio stations

A3N

TVNT member SanDiegoSFTV mentioned it in the "Struggling CBS O&O's thread", so I thought it deserved it's own discussion...

But, some pretty big news out of San Diego radio came out today. SDRadio is reporting that the KFMB radio stations are partnering up in a Joint Operating Agreement with Local Media San Diego. KFMB has two radio stations (100.7 Jack FM--KFMB FM and 760 KFMB-AM) and Local Media San Diego operates three stations (Magic 92.5 XHRM-FM, Z90 XHTZ-FM, and 91X XTRA FM).

I don't know who will be in charge of this new entity or what it means for the future of KFMB's radio stations, but it's an interesting move nonetheless. This joining of forces provides a new competitor to the market's iHeartMedia cluster.

There is no mention of what happens to KFMB-TV, as that is also a part of the KFMB Stations group. It has been mentioned on this site several times that KFMB's affiliation with CBS runs out this year. Whether its owner is setting up to sell the station is unknown at this point, but this re-structuring of the radio stations leads to speculation as to what the future holds for the KFMB stations.

TVNT member SanDiegoSFTV mentioned it in the "Struggling CBS O&O's thread", so I thought it deserved it's own discussion...

But, some pretty big news out of San Diego radio came out today. SDRadio is reporting that the KFMB radio stations are partnering up in a Joint Operating Agreement with Local Media San Diego. KFMB has two radio stations (100.7 Jack FM--KFMB FM and 760 KFMB-AM) and Local Media San Diego operates three stations (Magic 92.5 XHRM-FM, Z90 XHTZ-FM, and 91X XTRA FM).

I don't know who will be in charge of this new entity or what it means for the future of KFMB's radio stations, but it's an interesting move nonetheless. This joining of forces provides a new competitor to the market's iHeartMedia cluster.

There is no mention of what happens to KFMB-TV, as that is also a part of the KFMB Stations group. It has been mentioned on this site several times that KFMB's affiliation with CBS runs out this year. Whether its owner is setting up to sell the station is unknown at this point, but this re-structuring of the radio stations leads to speculation as to what the future holds for the KFMB stations.

KFMB renewed its affiliation with CBS last year.

The three stations entering into the JOA are all licenses south of the border, and were previously managed by Clear Channel (along with the current XEWW/690, the former XETRA) before ownership limits were actually enforced. It's a different ownership structure, but that's about it. Very little else is changing.

I highly doubt that this will lead to a sale of KFMB-TV. Furthermore, CBS wants to sell their two FM signals (only that no logical buyer has surfaced yet) so they can't be in the conversation for a theoretical buyer.

From the comments section of the article:

The TV station is not part of this deal. The LMSD management will be running this operation. Employees of each entity will remain their employees. There will still be separate facilities.

I wouldn't have given it much thought had KFMB's owners were the ones managing the operation, but apparently that will not be the case. To me, It just seems like they could unload the stations much more easily this way. But that's just me.

Archived