FTV rumor regarding FOX O&O

TheRob

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically FOX wants WVUE and is willing to trade WOFL for it. Guess they're willing to go through all the hoops (Benson, Raycom) to get it. They really must be desperate...

Also, going back to a previous rumor: FOX wants KCPQ. Nothing to substantiate that rumor, but FTV Live points out that FOX has KRIV to trade. Not too sure FOX will be willing to break up their Texas cluster, but stranger things have happened...

Did you read the part about " Fox is hoping that Raycom can help grease the wheels to make this deal go through.

FOX seems to be out for blood, but hey that got KTVU in Oakland/San Fran market, but if Cox said no to FOX about selling the station. KTVU would have lost it FOX affiliation and went back to Indy outlet and FOX would have bought KRON and invested in the station. They got Charlotte, so you have to wonder what next for FOX?

Would FOX ever go back to St. Louis and could FOX make a deal with Sinclair for Green Bay?

If the deal goes through Raycom owning FOX 35 in Orlando. Any thoughts on that?

Did you read the part about " Fox is hoping that Raycom can help grease the wheels to make this deal go through.

FOX seems to be out for blood, but hey that got KTVU in Oakland/San Fran market, but if Cox said no to FOX about selling the station. KTVU would have lost it FOX affiliation and went back to Indy outlet and FOX would have bought KRON and invested in the station. They got Charlotte, so you have to wonder what next for FOX?

Would FOX ever go back to St. Louis and could FOX make a deal with Sinclair for Green Bay?

If the deal goes through Raycom owning FOX 35 in Orlando. Any thoughts on that?

They may be looking to wait until the Rams/Chargers/Raiders situation is settled first before they decide if they want back in St.Louis.

First off, let me just state that I think Fox's strategy of acquiring stations in all the NFC markets is stupid, especially when they're talking about trading away bigger market stations (Houston, Orlando, Chicago). In both proposals, Fox would be trading down to a lesser DMA. Stupid and short-sighted in my opinion! (What if Fox loses the NFC package next time!?!)

That being said, wouldn't it make more sense to trade Orlando's WOFL/WRBW to Tribune for WGNO/WNOL? What's the point of trading WOFL and keeping WRBW?

I agree with the analysis in St. Louis. They are probably waiting until the dust settles with the L.A. situation. Don't forget, they have KTBC (Austin) as trade bate to use.

As for Green Bay, I think the more likely situation is that they go after a station in Milwaukee and not Green Bay.

Lastly, in Seattle, I think Plan B should be KSTW. I'm also surprised that there are not more O&Os in Seattle.

Shouldn't this all be under "Speculation 9000" ? After all, its just rumors for now.

I'd say it's a little bit more than rumors. There is some credible information to back this up (such as Fox wanting stations in NFC markets). And we have an article/link stating the information, not just us making up "what if"'s. Stop trying to play moderator and let the real moderators take care of that.

On a side note, I wonder when the Speculatron 9000 will be upgraded to the Speculatron 10000!!

I'd say it's a little bit more than rumors. There is some credible information to back this up (such as Fox wanting stations in NFC markets). And we have an article/link stating the information, not just us making up "what if"'s. Stop trying to play moderator and let the real moderators take care of that.

On a side note, I wonder when the Speculatron 9000 will be upgraded to the Speculatron 10000!!

My apologies. And, yeah... Speculatron 10000. That's appropriate now, considering the recent mergers of the last year or two.

Fox's strategy of owning stations with NFC teams is stupid. They are going to give up a top 20 station in political ad heavy Florida and a market that will probably continue to grow, for a sub 50 station in a state that doesn't see much in terms of political spending and a market that will probably shrink or stay flat . Even though the Saints get good ratings in NO (though if the team reverts to the Aints days of old I don't think that will last) I don't think that WVUE come close to the revenue that WOFL makes. Because WVUE in owned by Benson and because he hasn't sold to Raycom yet I doubt that he will sell to Fox. Now when Benson dies, he's in his 80s, then it will become interesting. I know he is in an estate battle right now with his children (the kids accuse the current wife of manipulating Benson to lock his children out of his estate). So maybe then after he passes (and depending on who gets his estate) then maybe WVUE will be sold.

With regards to the Seattle situation I don't think Fox has much leverage. All of the stations there are owned by large companies with no plans to sell at anytime. The only realistic options available to Fox are KSTW (which CBS has shown no signs of wanting to sell), ION stations KWPX (which again ION has shown no signs of wanting to sell and is probably spectrum bait), and spectrum bait KFFV. If the best leverage Fox could get last time was KBCB then the likelihood of Fox getting any of the aforementioned stations is slim to none.

The only oter NFC markets left to cover are St. Louis and Green Bay. They are probably going to wait and see with regards to the situation involving the Rams and a possible move back to LA but again they are in a situation where all of the stations have entrenched owners who are unwilling to sell. The same goes with Green Bay (and Milwaukee). Entrenched owners with no intention of selling.

The likelihood of Fox being able to get stations in any is low.

Seeing that congress or the supreme court could make a ruling or pass a law that regulates and limits super-pacs at any time.....thus cutting off a lot of ad money....

I would go with football.

That is HIGHLY unlikely. The Supreme Court is the one that made unlimited super-pac spending possible in the Citizen's United decision. It reaffirmed that money is free speech and that it can't be capped. Because it is a Supreme Court ruling that means that it is final and can't be undone. The only way to undo that ruling is for a constitutional amendment saying that money isn't free speech and that super-pacs aren't allowed to spend unlimited amounts of money on political campaigns. That requires a 2/3rds vote in congress, plus 34 states ratifying it. Considering that (at the moment) the GOP largely agrees with the court's decision and controls both chambers of congress and a large majority of statehouses the likelihood of campaign finance reform of any kind happening anytime soon is extremely low.

My point is not political but the political ad windfall could be over and done kaput after Nov 2016. That is why we are seeing all the movement now.

Football can tank also....so you diversify.

These are not baseball cards being traded...and the money being generated by all these ads are prime targets for taxes, regulations and all that bs stuff that happens when billions of dollars get traded and the govt. want it's big cut.

Fox's strategy of owning stations with NFC teams is stupid. They are going to give up a top 20 station in political ad heavy Florida and a market that will probably continue to grow, for a sub 50 station in a state that doesn't see much in terms of political spending and a market that will probably shrink or stay flat . Even though the Saints get good ratings in NO (though if the team reverts to the Aints days of old I don't think that will last) I don't think that WVUE come close to the revenue that WOFL makes. Because WVUE in owned by Benson and because he hasn't sold to Raycom yet I doubt that he will sell to Fox. Now when Benson dies, he's in his 80s, then it will become interesting. I know he is in an estate battle right now with his children (the kids accuse the current wife of manipulating Benson to lock his children out of his estate). So maybe then after he passes (and depending on who gets his estate) then maybe WVUE will be sold.

With regards to the Seattle situation I don't think Fox has much leverage. All of the stations there are owned by large companies with no plans to sell at anytime. The only realistic options available to Fox are KSTW (which CBS has shown no signs of wanting to sell), ION stations KWPX (which again ION has shown no signs of wanting to sell and is probably spectrum bait), and spectrum bait KFFV. If the best leverage Fox could get last time was KBCB then the likelihood of Fox getting any of the aforementioned stations is slim to none.

The only oter NFC markets left to cover are St. Louis and Green Bay. They are probably going to wait and see with regards to the situation involving the Rams and a possible move back to LA but again they are in a situation where all of the stations have entrenched owners who are unwilling to sell. The same goes with Green Bay (and Milwaukee). Entrenched owners with no intention of selling.

The likelihood of Fox being able to get stations in any is low.

The other possibility is if the NFL makes the Dallas Cowboys an AFC team in exchange for the Houston Texans being an NFC Team so that both CBS 11 (official station of the Cowboys), and Fox 26 can broadcast their football teams on their stations.

And you're right about how stupid Fox's strategy of owning stations in NFC markets. Next thing you know, Fox News capitalizes on that because they sometimes report on certain NFC football teams (most notably the Seattle Seahawks).

The other possibility is if the NFL makes the Dallas Cowboys an AFC team in exchange for the Houston Texans being an NFC Team so that both CBS 11 (official station of the Cowboys), and Fox 26 can broadcast their football teams on their stations.

And you're right about how stupid Fox's strategy of owning stations in NFC markets. Next thing you know, Fox News capitalizes on that because they sometimes report on certain NFC football teams (most notably the Seattle Seahawks).

Dallas and Houston switching conferences has exactly 0% chance of happening.

From the FTV story:

Word is that Fox may also be looking acquired (sic) KCPQ in Seattle. They still could trade KRIV in Houston. While the Houston Texans are an NFL team, they play in the AFC and Fox is in interested in NFC cities, since Fox has the NFC broadcasting contract to carry the NFC games.

Was this writer asleep at the switch when Fox tried and failed to get KCPQ, because Tribune held firm and refused their offer of WPWR for KCPQ? Fox has no leverage whatsoever... wishful thinking at its finest.

Even if the Rams somehow manage to stay put in St. Louis, the chances that Fox will get KTVI back are next to none. And I'm being very generous here.

Just thought I clarify who gets what from CBS and AFC:

WCBS 2 (Jets)

KCBS 2 (Raiders)

KPIX 5 (Raiders)

WBZ 4 (Patriots)

WFOR 4 (Dolphins)

KCNC 4 (Broncos)

KDKA 2 (Steelers)

WJZ 13 (Ravens)

CBS and AFC doesn't have WCCO 4 (Vikings on KMSP 9), WWJ 62 (Lions on WJBK 2), WBBM 2 (Bears on WFLD 32), KTVT 11 (Cowboys on KDFW 4), WCBS 2 (already have Jets; Giants on WNYW 5), KYW 3 (Eagles on WTXF 29) and KPIX 5 (already have Raiders; 49ers on KTVU 2).

For the football fans among us, where do Orlandoans pledge their allegiance? I mean, they are geographically closest to Tampa (NFC), and if Orlando is Buc country, then this whole move might be kinda silly.

Wow. Never thought of that.

But if this trade was to happen, here's the end result:

WOFL 35/WRBW 65/WOGX 51 from FOX to Raycom.

WVUE 8 from LA Media Comp./Raycom to LA Media Comp./FOX.

KCPQ 13/KJZO 22 from Tribune to FOX.

KRIV 26/KTXH 20 from FOX to Tribune and forms a triopoly between KRIV 26, KTXH 20 and KIAH 39, in which Tribune already owns, unless if Tribune is willing to give up either KTXH 20 or KIAH 39 to keep KRIV 26.

Milwaukee is technically the home market for the Packers, and FOX already had an O&O there and sold it. I don't think they're coming back anytime soon. WITI doesn't even have the rights to preseason games.

Also let's try to keep the wild speculation to a minimum thank U.

Wow. Never thought of that.

But if this trade was to happen, here's the end result:

WOFL 35/WRBW 65/WOGX 51 from FOX to Raycom.

WVUE 8 from LA Media Comp./Raycom to LA Media Comp./FOX.

KCPQ 13/KJZO 22 from Tribune to FOX.

KRIV 26/KTXH 20 from FOX to Tribune and forms a triopoly between KRIV 26, KTXH 20 and KIAH 39, in which Tribune already owns, unless if Tribune is willing to give up either KTXH 20 or KIAH 39 to keep KRIV 26.

See... Tribune has taken a hard line regarding KCPQ. They don't want to give it up. And purportedly, negotiations got very toxic between the two entities (to the point where Fox actually agreed to purchase a small border station with a rimshot signal into the Seattle market, because Cox wasn't giving KIRO up, and CBS wasn't giving KSTW up) before Fox gave in and admitted defeat.

The other thing to remember about Raycom is... it's employee-owned and controlled by the Retirement Systems of Alabama. It's a conservatively run company that just doesn't buy stations with wild abandon.

If Fox is thinking that going to Raycom is going to "speed things up," then they really don't stand much of a chance at getting WVUE.

If this trade would go through, the only way I could see it happening is that Raycom would have to buy Tom Benson out, and then Raycom could trade the station to Fox for WOFL and WOGX, while Fox gets WVUE and another NFC market.

As for Fox getting into Seattle, I think it will be quite a while because of what happened last year, and I think Fox needs time to come up with a successful strategy to get KCPQ. However, I think it wouldn't make sense for Fox to sell WOFL just to get WVUE because New Orleans isn't even a top 50 market, so I think the reason why they would trade WOFL is so they can get into more NFC markets such as Green Bay, or even St.Louis when the Rams situation with L.A gets settled. I think the reason why they are trading WOFL is so Fox can get more room under the cap in case they decide to go after WITI or KTVI down the road.

Archived