Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/88757/nexstar-makes-bid-for-media-general

Reuters

WSJ ($$)

Nexstar offers $14.50/share, which is lower than a previously-rejected private bid they made for MG this year.

A few minor scrapes would exist if MG shareholders chose this deal: Green Bay, Terre Haute and Lafayette off the top of my head.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nexstar buying Media General would be a disaster. They may be able to swallow them financially, but they will run these stations into the ground. And I shudder to think of a barrage of "local" stations and worthless, bloated community portal web sites with awkward names....

Local 27 News and myvalleymatters.com for WKBN? NOOOOOOO!!!!!

If this deal were to happen, it would be a reverse reunion of WMBB and WCWJ with their sister stations.

...and it wouldn't surprise me if Nexstar played the "mission" card in Roanoke by sucking up WSLS and scraping up some pocket change to take WPGX off of Raycom's hands. As long as programming and sales are totally separate, Mission could emerge as a standalone operator just like WTAT did with Cunningham....

WGCL/CBS 46 would be a disaster if this would take place. Nexstar would have (3) shops in Phoenix. KRON 4, WISH TV in Indy and Media General has some good shops plus you have the overlapping over Meredith & MG stations in certain markets. Would Mission have control of KOIN, WHNS etc???

I hope Media General turns them down. These ownership wars are heating up, and Nexstar owning 200 TV channels would make Sinclair look like their on acid.

Before I got to the thread here, my first thought was that Nexstar was bluffing. From reading this, I'm hoping that Nexstar isn't serious about buying Media General.

And who'd have guessed we'd have seen so much upheaval over the last few years in terms of station ownership (such as seeing LIN, Allbritton or Belo get swallowed up)?

Local 27 News and myvalleymatters.com for WKBN? NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Or if they get WBAY and sell off WFRV, "noWEaregreenbayseriouslywewerejustplayingwiththatotherstation.com". :confused:

Honestly though, we don't need a whole bunch of stations controlled by the equivalent of Cumulus. There's way too much M&A going on that just seems driven by needs at the top rather than any organized plan.

Just so we are clear, Nexstar is only buying the Media General stations, NOT Meredith. I don't know where people think that WGCL or KPHO/KTVK are going to Nexstar. The only conflicts that will arise will be in Green Bay, Roanoke, Fort Wayne, Terre Haute, Lafayette, and the Quad Cities.

Before I got to the thread here, my first thought was that Nexstar was bluffing. From reading this, I'm hoping that Nexstar isn't serious about buying Media General.

And who'd have guessed we'd have seen so much upheaval over the last few years in terms of station ownership (such as seeing LIN, Allbritton or Belo get swallowed up)?

It was easy to conclude that Allbritton would be coming up for sale as soon as Joe died.

If you told someone three years ago that by now Belo and LIN would be no more, they would have thought you were crazy.

Wherever this all ends, and I promise you it will end...

The word "Bankruptcy" will be involved.

This cannot and will not sustain for much longer.

But that's ok. remember, "corporations are people too!" [sarcasm off]. Nothing will change until the sh*t hits the fan, and then the fat cats will simply walk away with a nice severance, while employees are left in limbo about their job situation.

From the presentation:

"Combined company would have 162 broadcast stations in 99 markets reaching 39% of U.S. households, the second most of any major affiliate group"

That seems quite low since Nexstar has 114 right now and Media General has 71. They would have to shed a lot of assets to make it work, not just in conflict markets. That means 23 stations would have to be divested. I figured it would add up to at least 185 after looking at the data, and there are only 7 conflict markets.

Archived