WTMJs Future?

jrh1985

As an outsider, I'm gathering that Detroit's version of the program is the exception, not the rule, and the viewers should consider themselves lucky.

Probably so... The downside is that nobody knows what to make of the program's title so the fact that it's identical to everything else gets kind of lost and the ratings suffer. "First At 4" works much better for WDIV (yeah they still call it that even if they aren't the only 4pm in town)... Using the original social media format for 7 months also hurt big time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This news is a much-needed relief; despite all the issues with WTMJ on the air, at least Scripps restored sanity to one section; retransmission consent. Scripps and Time Warner came to an extension very quietly (and for the Journal stations, seven months in advance), assuring we won't see a repeat of 2013 during the Rio Olympics, when Journal management pretty much was killed in the most one-sided RC negotiations ever when they pulled their channels and ended up losing their real channel numbers to the Game Show Network out of extreme hubris.

This news is a much-needed relief; despite all the issues with WTMJ on the air, at least Scripps restored sanity to one section; retransmission consent. Scripps and Time Warner came to an extension very quietly (and for the Journal stations, seven months in advance), assuring we won't see a repeat of 2013 during the Rio Olympics, when Journal management pretty much was killed in the most one-sided RC negotiations ever when they pulled their channels and ended up losing their real channel numbers to the Game Show Network out of extreme hubris.

Time Warner lost big time too. That was the same they where fighting with CBS and Showtime and combined with that they lost alot of customers in Eastern Wisconisn. Then in the end CBS and Journal got the money they wanted anyways.

Came across this image of the morning team using what appears to be a new "RIGHT NOW" graphic. At least it appears to be new, as it doesn't really match any other Journal graphics.

1471849_10153933715863200_1609171909600481230_n.jpg?oh=c5ec587cc66580b90c9ede15b1c6afb1&oe=57251A4C

They've been using graphics like that in the big monitor wall (for Daybreak only) for at least a year, I think. Also note the "cube" background that is the base of the Journal graphics.

[MEDIA=instagram]072KqnI4yc[/MEDIA]

Best picture I could find.

In other news, FTVLive is reporting that Steve Chamraz might possibly leave the station due to the drama surrounding the main anchor role after Mike Jacobs left. I-Team reporter Jermont Terry is also leaving to Detroit.

Came across this image of the morning team using what appears to be a new "RIGHT NOW" graphic. At least it appears to be new, as it doesn't really match any other Journal graphics.

1471849_10153933715863200_1609171909600481230_n.jpg?oh=c5ec587cc66580b90c9ede15b1c6afb1&oe=57251A4C

Looks like all those T shaped floor markings (think it's called a spike) could get confusing.

Don't be surprised if more people leave WTMJ very soon and at least one or two big names. Morale has been in the toilet ever since Scripps took over.

Scripps causes low morale in everything they touch quite frankly...

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd post this here as there FINALLY appears to be movement on filling the main anchor role. FTVLive is reporting that former WTMJ anchor George Mallet is the frontrunner for Mike Jacobs' still-unfilled position.

Mallet left WTMJ in December 2010 for the main anchor gig at WPTZ in Burlington, VT, which he left last week. In addition to the tweet in the FTVLive article, he made a tweet yesterday saying he was "pursuing a position in the Midwest":

[MEDIA=twitter]718282817046712320[/MEDIA]

Amusingly, at this rate he may be returning to a station that still has the same graphics as

Figured I'd post this here as there FINALLY appears to be movement on filling the main anchor role. FTVLive is reporting that former WTMJ anchor George Mallet is the frontrunner for Mike Jacobs' still-unfilled position.

Mallet left WTMJ in December 2010 for the main anchor gig at WPTZ in Burlington, VT, which he left last week. In addition to the tweet in the FTVLive article, he made a tweet yesterday saying he was "pursuing a position in the Midwest":

[MEDIA=twitter]718282817046712320[/MEDIA]

Amusingly, at this rate he may be returning to a station that still has the same graphics as

I don't remember, does he have family in WI? Could he be here by May's sweeps and could new graphics be timed with it?

I don't remember, does he have family in WI? Could he be here by May's sweeps and could new graphics be timed with it?

Or this is the guy whose contract they've been waiting out like I thought about Paul Piaskowski (and obviously whiffed on). He was very good on TMJ during his time there, but he left on great terms when there was an over-glut of anchors on the station. Can't be bad to get a comfy five-year break from the big city to find the big chair open for you when you get back.

I think they're beginning to finally turn the corner now, especially now with the JS being Gannett's problem (and man, their TV/radio coverage is down the tubes) and the momentum of "Stop You-Know-Who" giving a good differentiation to the radio side that didn't affect the TV side too badly like it did in the past; having Charles Benson's coverage during the primary showed that at least there's no worries on the political side.

• 2 weeks later...

This was just forwarded to me from a source at the station:

TODAY’S TMJ4 grows its news team with return of veteran journalist, George Mallet

April 19, 2016

MILWAUKEE — If you live in the Milwaukee area and recognize the name George Mallet, it is because he has already spent several years as an anchor and reporter for TODAY’S TMJ4 (WTMJ- TV). Mallet is rejoining the NBC affiliate, owned by The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP), on April 20th.

Mallet reunites with former colleagues Carole Meekins and Charles Benson and joins Shannon Sims and Steve Chamraz to round out the station’s seasoned team of weeknight evening anchors. Mallet was a respected and steady presence on TODAY’S TMJ4 from 2007-2011.

Mallet returns to Milwaukee by way of WPTZ-TV which serves parts of Upstate New York and Northern Vermont. He was anchor of the station’s evening newscasts since 2011. While in New York, George returned regularly to Milwaukee and feels the move back is meant to be. “I still own a home in the Milwaukee area,” Mallet says. “I guess I always knew that if the opportunity arose, I would find my way back. It’s a community I know and care about.”

“George and I have a long history,” said TODAY’S TMJ4 News Director Janet Hundley. “We worked together in North Carolina and I learned so much from him. He’s a great writer and journalist. I’m already so proud of our team here at TMJ4. It’s great to have George back home to be part of our future.”

TODAY’S TMJ4 Vice President and General Manager Joe Poss said, “We are so pleased to welcome George back. He understands the community we serve and the sense of responsibility we feel to tell important, meaningful local stories. He’s a great fit for Milwaukee.”

In addition to his work in Milwaukee and New York, Mallet has served as an anchor and reporter in Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina as well as Washington, North Carolina. His work as a journalist has been honored by The Associated Press as well as the Television Academy of Arts & Sciences. He is a graduate of the University of Delaware.

Interesting that they just call him part of the "team of weeknight evening anchors." A rotating schedule, perhaps?

Nope.

George Mallet at 5:00 and 10:00pm

Charles Benson at 4:00, 4:30 and 6:00pm

Steve Chamraz with "The NOW Milwaukee" at 6:30pm

From The Dudek Abides: http://www.duanedudek.com/blog/2016/04/18/wtmj-tv-expected-to-name-george-mallet-anchor/

Nope.

George Mallet at 5:00 and 10:00pm

Charles Benson at 4:00, 4:30 and 6:00pm

Steve Chamraz with "The NOW Milwaukee" at 6:30pm

From The Dudek Abides: http://www.duanedudek.com/blog/2016/04/18/wtmj-tv-expected-to-name-george-mallet-anchor/

I gotta believe Chamraz might be on his way out then. Going from the presumed front-runner for the 10pm job to reporter/anchor of "The NOW"? I don't see him sticking around.

I gotta believe Chamraz might be on his way out then. Going from the presumed front-runner for the 10pm job to reporter/anchor of "The NOW"? I don't see him sticking around.

Just out of curiosity, what's the current line-up of anchors there? Who anchors what shows? (Both males and females)

steve is better than "the now" but he's wanted his own show for a long time. one of the early concepts for "wisconsin tonight" was to have him host it.

i think giving him the now was a way to keep him around when it became obvious he wasn't getting mike jacobs' seat.

Well, well, well! What do we have here?

Also curious how the thumbnail for this video isn't even a part of the video itself...

Pretty darned obvious the change is coming now...the weather system is using the common Scripps font as of this morning for conditions/cities mixed with the older banners. Either tonight or Thursday I would assume.

Pretty darned obvious the change is coming now...the weather system is using the common Scripps font as of this morning for conditions/cities mixed with the older banners. Either tonight or Thursday I would assume.

I think I've seen that font all week from Storm Team 4, so who knows? Any more clues, please share!

It's not really that exciting... We've all seen it a thousand times...

Exactly, same font Scripps, MG and CBS O&O uses. It seems to be only in the radar system so far, but not the general conditions or day planner templates.

Archived