WTMJs Future?

jrh1985

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to TitanTV, The Now Milwaukee will debut next Thursday at 6:30PM. Wisconsin Tonight will air it's last show Monday.

I'm guessing they didn't want to premiere it on Monday, and then miss Tuesday and Wednesday due to Packers programming.

My TiVo guide is showing a Monday premiere, but of course it might be pushed a week if the Packers win on Saturday with a whole bunch of Packers Extra 'specials' that don't get Nielsen-counted.

Well, it did premiere on Thursday (though without an open, right to the airport standup for the flight delays from the snowstorm), and it pretty much seems like they don't have the most terrible parts of the Now template. It worked well for what a pre-primetime show should be, though the 'hey, we're doing this show totally casual with rolled-up sleeves and sneaks!' thing was kind of awkward. And the GFX they have for it don't work with the regular package; there were plenty of times they hid wording. And a panel that was obviously improvised only to be used during The Now looked really out of place.

One thing I sadly expect to go pretty quickly thanks to the Facebook cranks; the all-16:9 presentation, including the time and temp bug. They've managed to have the cable companies stick to 4:3 framing on the analog signal even though everyone but WITI flags 16:9 all the time with their complaints, but it's good to see at least one half-hour on the station move into the 2010's graphics-wise.

Well, it did premiere on Thursday (though without an open, right to the airport standup for the flight delays from the snowstorm), and it pretty much seems like they don't have the most terrible parts of the Now template. It worked well for what a pre-primetime show should be, though the 'hey, we're doing this show totally casual with rolled-up sleeves and sneaks!' thing was kind of awkward. And the GFX they have for it don't work with the regular package; there were plenty of times they hid wording. And a panel that was obviously improvised only to be used during The Now looked really out of place.

One thing I sadly expect to go pretty quickly thanks to the Facebook cranks; the all-16:9 presentation, including the time and temp bug. They've managed to have the cable companies stick to 4:3 framing on the analog signal even though everyone but WITI flags 16:9 all the time with their complaints, but it's good to see at least one half-hour on the station move into the 2010's graphics-wise.

The "casual" thing was played up a little too hard which made it weird. John Malan looked like he just had a bar fight with his undone sleeve cuffs. The graphics inconsistencies are understandable (for now...) since they're designed to function with the Scripps package, not the Journal one. The Journal package also doesn't account for lower thirds being in all the time.

As for the 16:9 thing, I think they're stuck with it whether they like it or not. With stations in Florida and Phoenix (the classic retiree destinations), Scripps has probably gotten used to listening to old people complain about the graphics getting cut off on older sets.

It's a heck of a lot better than Wisconsin Tonight ever was, that's for sure. At least it no longer pretends to be a primarily local show. I was getting quite tired of hearing "Tonight on Wisconsin Tonight..." followed by a tease for a story that took place halfway across the country. The question is, how long can they keep it up before they abandon the format and it becomes another... well... Wisconsin Tonight?

The "casual" thing was played up a little too hard which made it weird. John Malan looked like he just had a bar fight with his undone sleeve cuffs. The graphics inconsistencies are understandable (for now...) since they're designed to function with the Scripps package, not the Journal one. The Journal package also doesn't account for lower thirds being in all the time.

As for the 16:9 thing, I think they're stuck with it whether they like it or not. With stations in Florida and Phoenix (the classic retiree destinations), Scripps has probably gotten used to listening to old people complain about the graphics getting cut off on older sets.

It's a heck of a lot better than Wisconsin Tonight ever was, that's for sure. At least it no longer pretends to be a primarily local show. I was getting quite tired of hearing "Tonight on Wisconsin Tonight..." followed by a tease for a story that took place halfway across the country. The question is, how long can they keep it up before they abandon the format and it becomes another... well... Wisconsin Tonight?

What graphics are they using that work with the Scripps package? The NOW doesn't use graphics anywhere else that resemble or look related to the main package...

What graphics are they using that work with the Scripps package? The NOW doesn't use graphics anywhere else that resemble or look related to the main package...

All I'm saying is if you put, say, a regular Scripps news fullscreen quote graphic underneath a The Now L3, you probably wouldn't end up with parts of the fullscreen covered up. They work together by following the same design principles, not looking the same.

All I'm saying is if you put, say, a regular Scripps news fullscreen quote graphic underneath a The Now L3, you probably wouldn't end up with parts of the fullscreen covered up. They work together by following the same design principles, not looking the same.

They might... I've never seen it done because The NOW's package has a function for that already... All I see of the regular package on that show is the weather stuff and it seems incredibly out of place...

A few random thoughts:

- The set seems really cluttered and claustrophobic. I don't have a problem with any of the individual set pieces, they just need to space them out a bit, and align them with the rest of the set a bit better.

- If they're going to brand "The Now" as something different than the normal newscast, they need The Now mic flags, like their national reporter had from the live shot in DC.

- Similarly, they need to figure out if they're going to end their reports with "The Now Milwaukee" or "Today's TMJ4." (I vote "The Now Milwaukee.")

- The whole thing so far seems rather low-key. It feels like they could use something to pick up the pace, make it feel more upbeat and less like a traditional newscast.

A few random thoughts:

- The set seems really cluttered and claustrophobic. I don't have a problem with any of the individual set pieces, they just need to space them out a bit, and align them with the rest of the set a bit better.

- If they're going to brand "The Now" as something different than the normal newscast, they need The Now mic flags, like their national reporter had from the live shot in DC.

- Similarly, they need to figure out if they're going to end their reports with "The Now Milwaukee" or "Today's TMJ4." (I vote "The Now Milwaukee.")

- The whole thing so far seems rather low-key. It feels like they could use something to pick up the pace, make it feel more upbeat and less like a traditional newscast.

Nobody else is using different mic flags.. Why start now?

This. The setup is just... weird. They've spilled over onto The Morning Blend set as well. The bright colors of the LED walls and graphics clash poorly with the dark colored wood of the set itself.

I feel like there'd be more to fixing this than moving monitors around. I really think they've just exhausted their options when it comes to ways to use this set. Hopefully Scripps finances a refresh of the set soon.

This. The setup is just... weird. They've spilled over onto The Morning Blend set as well. The bright colors of the LED walls and graphics clash poorly with the dark colored wood of the set itself.

I feel like there'd be more to fixing this than moving monitors around. I really think they've just exhausted their options when it comes to ways to use this set. Hopefully Scripps finances a refresh of the set soon.

Its very unlikely Scripps would spend any money to redo the set. WTMJ could do what other Scripps stations do and use the newsroom and handheld cameras...yuck. It would look way better if they use the "Wisconsin Tonight" setup but change the LED wall colors. The causal dressing came right from Cincinnati.

When will Scripps ever get rid of this stupid idea? Even on #1 stations, the program is failing. Again, the only good program they got is Right This Minute and I hope they keep that one.

As for The NOW, I will rejoice the day the format is dead. To me, I don't think it's working.

They'll be revamping it soon according to my inside sources.

Ugh... I rather see/have the name Denver 7 News at 4:00 or 9 On Your Side at 4:00 or 7 Action News at 4:00 than The NOW.

I feel so bad for KC with those news since KSHB's The NOW really ruined the station and their new husband/wife team (who came from my home market) is, unfortunately, isn't working because they are still dead last compared to WDAF.

The 30 minute version that WTMJ has aired so far been ok, the local stuff has been good but the national stuff was poor. The only thing is resources at WTMJ are incredibly thin especially since Scripps took over, will they spend all this time and energy like they have for the first two shows? Everyone knows that "The Now" is not going to do well in the ratings.

Ugh... I rather see/have the name Denver 7 News at 4:00 or 9 On Your Side at 4:00 or 7 Action News at 4:00 than The NOW.

I feel so bad for KC with those news since KSHB's The NOW really ruined the station and their new husband/wife team (who came from my home market) is, unfortunately, isn't working because they are still dead last compared to WDAF.

If done correctly those titles you prefer is exactly what the show is with a handheld camera and different name... It makes one wonder what the point is...

If done correctly those titles you prefer is exactly what the show is with a handheld camera and different name... It makes one wonder what the point is...

The point is... the format should be more traditional and be called under different names instead of the stupid The NOW format.

The point is... the format should be more traditional and be called under different names instead of the stupid The NOW format.

My point is that it really is traditional except for the camera work... Lack of a tie and being in a newsroom... Otherwise it's fluff less if they execute it right... The content of "The NOW Detroit" is exactly the same as "7 Action News At 4".

My point is that it really is traditional except for the camera work... Lack of a tie and being in a newsroom... Otherwise it's fluff less if they execute it right... The content of "The NOW Detroit" is exactly the same as "7 Action News At 4".

The style is nothing new. Thirty years ago stations called that a "pre-show" format.

Everything old...is new again.

A very small number of people not employed by the station shared their opinion about the new show using it's hashtag. The interesting thing is they're all positive.

[MEDIA=twitter]690701066879430656[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]690696912735989762[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]690337780711424001[/MEDIA]

'The Now' feels so much like a local version of 'Inside Edition', while 'The List' feels like a local version of 'What Went Down'.

'The Now' feels so much like a local version of 'Inside Edition', while 'The List' feels like a local version of 'What Went Down'.

Inside edition?!? What I'm getting here in Detroit is just another newscast... It's got no fluff... No social media junk or viral videos to clog up the works... It's just... Normal.

Inside edition?!? What I'm getting here in Detroit is just another newscast... It's got no fluff... No social media junk or viral videos to clog up the works... It's just... Normal.

And what I'm getting in Denver is all social media and viral videos with a smattering of weather. It's terrible!

The one day I managed to watch here in Milwaukee had a live report from the east coast blizzard, a story on a new BBQ joint opening, a story on a gallery event in the third ward, a weather report, and a story on some sort of a charity event the station was doing at a local grocery. So... mostly "light news" if you will, stuff you might also find on WITI's "Real Milwaukee."

Archived