WTMJs Future?

jrh1985

Jacobs notwithstanding, do they have their weekday team anchor Sunday nights?

Usually they do, yes.

I think that was in error. It came on at the exact same time the EAS scroll did, and that story doesn't sound like something they've teased before that appeared. My guess is the button to trigger the EAS is right next to the button to trigger the snipe.

I'm beginning to think that too, it doesn't seem to match up with their package as it evolved and there hasn't been any 'stupid teen death game' story in the news this weekend, so it was probably a lingering leftover L3 stuck in memory since the last Amber Alert from March. Plus you usually never see local L3's during NFL action.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update; Scripps has finally put the Journal station's DoApp-provided 'apps' which were just fancy website overlays out of their misery; TMJ and WGBA just updated to a much better app experience and I'm sure the rest of the former Journal stations will follow (they still use the full logos for each station in their app icons). It's still different than the standard Scripps app experience (and for some reason has an option to have the godawful ShopSmart push alerts to your device), but it's leagues better now.

• 3 weeks later...

right before christmas, tmj announced some changes at the anchor desk... putting charles benson and shannon sims on the desk for 4pm and 6pm... guessing he ain't getting the 10pm...

you may be wondering if that pairing at 6 transfers over to "wisconsin tonight" at 6:30... well my friends... i am told that wisconsin tonight will soon be put out of its misery... but thats a story for a different day...

Scripps awful "The Now" is going at 630... at least is not going at 4pm, killing the 5 and 6pm ratings. Scripps is going to wait as long as they can until they name a 10pm anchor because they want to reduce the former journal stations budgets severely... they want to use fill-ins so they don't have to pay the 10pm salary.

right before christmas, tmj announced some changes at the anchor desk... putting charles benson and shannon sims on the desk for 4pm and 6pm... guessing he ain't getting the 10pm...

you may be wondering if that pairing at 6 transfers over to "wisconsin tonight" at 6:30... well my friends... i am told that wisconsin tonight will soon be put out of its misery... but thats a story for a different day...

The station has noted that his naming to the 6 was mainly because Benson is their main political reporter; he already has a large enough workload, especially with the elections coming up that 10 p.m. would be adding too much to his schedule. For Shannon Sims though, a definitely well-deserved promotion as her weekend shows are professionally delivered and sensible compared to the weekday shows.

As for The Now, it's pretty much just applying a new name to a show which has never really been about "Wisconsin Tonight", but a place to throw wire stories and keep the lights on into NBC primetime on non-Packers show nights since the old management bungled the Sony game shows to WDJT. "WT" is also on WGBA but there it's not going to be easy in a smaller market to apply a branding unless the new studio suggests a complete reset for their news in every way.

The station has noted that his naming to the 6 was mainly because Benson is their main political reporter; he already has a large enough workload, especially with the elections coming up that 10 p.m. would be adding too much to his schedule. For Shannon Sims though, a definitely well-deserved promotion as her weekend shows are professionally delivered and sensible compared to the weekday shows.

As for The Now, it's pretty much just applying a new name to a show which has never really been about "Wisconsin Tonight", but a place to throw wire stories and keep the lights on into NBC primetime on non-Packers show nights since the old management bungled the Sony game shows to WDJT. "WT" is also on WGBA but there it's not going to be easy in a smaller market to apply a branding unless the new studio suggests a complete reset for their news in every way.

Unless Scripps is changing its mind their 4pm will become The NOW Milwaukee not the 630. It would be a little bizarre if they didn't follow their pattern in literally every other market they run it on... 4-5pm. I imagine Wisconsin Tonight will become "The List" if they stick a Scripps show there...

Unless Scripps is changing its mind their 4pm will become The NOW Milwaukee not the 630. It would be a little bizarre if they didn't follow their pattern in literally every other market they run it on... 4-5pm. I imagine Wisconsin Tonight will become "The List" if they stick a Scripps show there...

That's what you'd think they would do... However I too have heard the plan is to stick it at 6:30.

I think they may just be eager to replace the "Wisconsin Tonight" branding ASAP. It's always possible they could move The Now to 4 in the future.

That's what you'd think they would do... However I too have heard the plan is to stick it at 6:30.

I think they may just be eager to replace the "Wisconsin Tonight" branding ASAP. It's always possible they could move The Now to 4 in the future.

Word is that show is kinda "cheesy".

Happy News Year Weeters!

Wtmj didn't want the now at 4 because they knew it would get awful ratings, and you have to remember after the Journal takeover/ merger they promoted some journal people and they wanted to keep the taditional newscasts that gets good ratings. The Now has failed for most Scripps stations, The Scripps station in Kansas City was number 1 in the ratings until they put the now at 4pm, now they are 4th place at 5 and 6pm. As for 6:30, Packers programming makes a lot of money for WTMJ and WGBA and syndicators wanted their programming on 5 nights a week, also WDJT was willing to over pay for the rights for the game shows. You won't see top tier syndicated programming on Scripps stations anyways, they been shedding it away for the last several years.

Wtmj didn't want the now at 4 because they knew it would get awful ratings, and you have to remember after the Journal takeover/ merger they promoted some journal people and they wanted to keep regular newscasts that gets very good ratings. The Now has failed for most Scripps stations, The Scripps station in Kansas City was number 1 in the ratings until they put the now at 4pm now they are 4th place at 5 and 6pm. As for 6:30, Packers programming makes a lot of money for WTMJ and WGBA and syndicators wanted their programming on 5 nights a week, also WDJT was willing to over pay for the rights for the game shows. You won't see top tier syndicated programming on Scripps stations anyways, they been shedding it away for the last several years.

Theres so much non logical stuff in this post I don't know where to start...

The problem is viewer loyalty to the 4pm, which has run since 1993 when Hearst got Oprah for WISN (It should be noted the 4:30 was branded as TMJ4 News Now from then until the 2004 reimaging away from the "Sailboat 4" and everything became "Live at"), which is pretty much evergreen for a 4pm show at this point. Judging by viewer reaction alone to the end of the 3pm show for FABLife, it's probably best to drift their usual 4pm format away before dropping NOW on the viewers and by that time, it may just be a quickly-dispensed brand that eventually melts easily into NOW at 4.

The problem is viewer loyalty to the 4pm, which has run since 1993 when Hearst got Oprah for WISN (It should be noted the 4:30 was branded as TMJ4 News Now from then until the 2004 reimaging away from the "Sailboat 4" and everything became "Live at"), which is pretty much evergreen for a 4pm show at this point. Judging by viewer reaction alone to the end of the 3pm show for FABLife, it's probably best to drift their usual 4pm format away before dropping NOW on the viewers and by that time, it may just be a quickly-dispensed brand that eventually melts easily into NOW at 4.

4:00pm: First 4 News

4:30pm: TMJ 4 News NOW

5:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 5:00 O'Clock Report

6:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 6:00 O'Clock Report

10:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 10:00 O'Clock Report

Were these the names back then? Correct me if I'm wrong.

the real question is what will become of fablife now that tyra banks is on her way out... if the show's ratings fall and it gets canned, i could see tmj4 moving the now to 3pm and recapturing that hour of ad revenue programming and putting one of scripps' syndicated shows at 6:30 (something like right this minute or the list that wouldn't be missed during packers season when those two awful packers shows air)...

When will Scripps ever get rid of this stupid idea? Even on #1 stations, the program is failing. Again, the only good program they got is Right This Minute and I hope they keep that one.

As for The NOW, I will rejoice the day the format is dead. To me, I don't think it's working.

When will Scripps ever get rid of this stupid idea? Even on #1 stations, the program is failing. Again, the only good program they got is Right This Minute and I hope they keep that one.

As for The NOW, I will rejoice the day the format is dead. To me, I don't think it's working.

It'd work if they stopped avoiding the term "Newscast"... At least here it's no different than anything else but it's being marketed as something it's not...

4:00pm: First 4 News

4:30pm: TMJ 4 News NOW

5:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 5:00 O'Clock Report

6:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 6:00 O'Clock Report

10:00pm: Today's TMJ 4 - The 10:00 O'Clock Report

Were these the names back then? Correct me if I'm wrong.

All correct; morning was just plain Today's TMJ4 at Daybreak or Daybreak alone.

Any new timeline for new graphics at TMJ4?

the goalposts keep moving on that... maybe in a few months? it won't happen when the now launches, that's for sure...

the current graphics will probably live to see their 7th birthday (april)... no one seems to know why they're getting the now graphics but not the news graphics... something is wrong somewhere... it sounds like there are some workflow differences that the graphics hub needs to work through...

the goalposts keep moving on that... maybe in a few months? it won't happen when the now launches, that's for sure...

the current graphics will probably live to see their 7th birthday (april)... no one seems to know why they're getting the now graphics but not the news graphics... something is wrong somewhere... it sounds like there are some workflow differences that the graphics hub needs to work through...

When you have 34 stations or whatever it is redoing the first 18 or 19 you had over to VizRT is a factor then you have to design the customized parts of the Scripps package for the new 13... That's a hell of a lot of work. The NOW stuff consists of typing "Milwaukee" below the name and creating the open...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived