WTMJs Future?

jrh1985

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can find the discussion of what's going on with WTMJ and the rest of the Scripps stations located here.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/scripps-general-discussion.14026/

However, I don't think anyone picked up on the new logo at the bottom of the page. Could NBC 4 be on its way?

If the web address is sticking to TMJ4.com, it's doubtful they'd drop that branding for something as "NBC 4". Maybe at most "TMJ4-NBC", but with 23 years of branding that's stuck and it being the only consistent thing WTMJ has stuck to, there's no need to change something that isn't broken for "NBC Milwaukee Action News" or something which would be as equally generic/convoluted on the URL bar.

I'm just glad the dreadful Journal web interface has gone away and I'm looking very forward to the app Scripps comes out with being more than a glorified ad-heavy wrapper around m.tmj4.com as the Journal/DoApp one has been.

TMJ4's future? I doubt that they would change the branding because of what one of the other posters said, the only things I would see changing are either Charles Benson or Steve Chamraz becoming the permanent co-anchor of the evening newscasts, and WTMJ getting the Scripps graphics a few months down the road.

I personally would love to see the "News 4 Milwaukee" branding return.

I'd also be fine with just dropping the "TODAY'S" part of the current logo, which should have been done about a decade ago.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that's just an app logo.

I'm not sure how you're watching TMJ4 Plus online, as I don't see any reference to it on the new Scripps template site.

I'd bet it's gone for good, given that it's disappeared from the website, and the fact that Time Warner Cable hasn't carried it since the retransmission snafu with Journal a while ago. No loss, really.

I'm not sure how you're watching TMJ4 Plus online, as I don't see any reference to it on the new Scripps template site.

I'd bet it's gone for good, given that it's disappeared from the website, and the fact that Time Warner Cable hasn't carried it since the retransmission snafu with Journal a while ago. No loss, really.

I had it bookmarked along with TMJ4's livestream from the old site. Wonder how long the old site will be up?

I had it bookmarked along with TMJ4's livestream from the old site. Wonder how long the old site will be up?

Not long apparently; it now redirects right to tmj4.com without any notice. Just tried it from the regular web and mobile and it's gone. 4.4 eventually will get Escape and there's no way they launch a 4.5 for automated weather.

They launched Plus with fanfare only a few months ago, but it was botched to begin with thanks to the 0% cable penetration because of Wexler's idiocy two years back. That they use 4.2 with a straight face to move pre-empted NBC programming to save their infomercial slots (if you're a Hannibal fan with pay TV you hated them the last few weeks thanks to Packers pre-emptions) is galling. It doesn't help that their main sponsor has switched from Hydroxytone a few years back to those annoying NuMale ads, which looped forever on Plus more than even on 4.1.

They launched Plus with fanfare only a few months ago, but it was botched to begin with thanks to the 0% cable penetration because of Wexler's idiocy two years back. That they use 4.2 with a straight face to move pre-empted NBC programming to save their infomercial slots (if you're a Hannibal fan with pay TV you hated them the last few weeks thanks to Packers pre-emptions) is galling. It doesn't help that their main sponsor has switched from Hydroxytone a few years back to those annoying NuMale ads, which looped forever on Plus more than even on 4.1.

Well, all I can say is "good riddance" to that last iteration of 4.2 as a 24/7 weather channel. It was glitchy as hell (when the various elements would change, they'd blink off for a few frames) and the news ticker at the bottom just ran random headlines culled from their website, which meant you'd get "Find out how much it snowed in YOUR area, click here" as a "top story" or whatever they called them. There was no rhyme or reason to the packages and news clips that played out and for some reason they'd brand the traffic camera loop as "TMJ4.com LIVE" despite that loop not being available on tmj4.com.

Someone told me early on that it was being operated by the Journal "interactive" department and they wanted to add original programming to it, but once the Scripps merger was announced most of those people made a quick exit.

Well, all I can say is "good riddance" to that last iteration of 4.2 as a 24/7 weather channel. It was glitchy as hell (when the various elements would change, they'd blink off for a few frames) and the news ticker at the bottom just ran random headlines culled from their website, which meant you'd get "Find out how much it snowed in YOUR area, click here" as a "top story" or whatever they called them. There was no rhyme or reason to the packages and news clips that played out and for some reason they'd brand the traffic camera loop as "TMJ4.com LIVE" despite that loop not being available on tmj4.com.

Someone told me early on that it was being operated by the Journal "interactive" department and they wanted to add original programming to it, but once the Scripps merger was announced most of those people made a quick exit.

So basically, WMVS' 24/7 weather channel on 10.4 is the only local weather channel left in Milwaukee?

So basically, WMVS' 24/7 weather channel on 10.4 is the only local weather channel left in Milwaukee?

Yep, Still not happy about 68-1 losing WeatherNation!!!! I knew the TMJ4's changes were coming, I was hoping TMJ4 would save TMJ4 Plus some way, but I guess not.

That makes sense about why it was so chaotic and just felt random. You look at WBAY 2.2 up in Green Bay and that has an established wheel schedule that you can count on (forecast, long-range, short-range, travel and then esoteric information capped at the end). I never got that sense with TMJ4+ the few times I watched; their 4-day weather on the bottom jumped all over the place (one moment Kenosha, then all the sudden Fond du Lac? Couldn't check off the 'A to Z' option in the program?), the maps were often zoomed out to the point of uselessness, and the news segments were pretty much whatever the person who uploaded them onto the system felt was good, even if it was just inane fluff, along with Morning Blend segments nobody cared about. Then you could tell the effort just petered out with minutes of random trivia where that original programming would have gone.

Did they ever find a main male anchor yet, or waiting their orders from Cincinnati?

I'm beginning to think they're waiting out Paul Piaskoski's non-compete to bring him in there in some way, which would probably be a sterling hire, but going into the new TV season without a new permanent anchor just seems to be something you see in market 136, not market 36.

I'm beginning to think they're waiting out Paul Piaskoski's non-compete to bring him in there in some way, which would probably be a sterling hire, but going into the new TV season without a new permanent anchor just seems to be something you see in market 136, not market 36.

Welcome to Scripps...

• 1 month later...
This popped up on the screen during Sunday Night Football tonight; apparently some poor soul in the graphics department still thinks Mike Jacobs is on a really long break and is coming back any day now.

CT6G5uMUwAA53ZQ.jpg

I think that was in error. It came on at the exact same time the EAS scroll did, and that story doesn't sound like something they've teased before that appeared. My guess is the button to trigger the EAS is right next to the button to trigger the snipe.

Archived