Philadelphia Papal Coverage

Guest Newshound

Guest Newshound

Hey guys. This is the official Philadelphia pope coverage thread. Feel free to chime in about any coverage from local stations about the pope from this point forward. I think this warrants it's own thread, because this is historic with the pope's visit.

Jim Gardner mentioned tonight that Cathy Gandolfo will return to Action News to cover the Pope's visit to Philadelphia. I was just thinking the other day how Cathy had always been the go-to correspondent for papal events, and it would be strange not having her there covering this historic event.

I like that CBS Philly has the Popecast for updates on information relating to the papal visit. In DFW however, only NBC 5, and by extension, it's sister station, Telemundo 39, were broadcasting the multireligious ceremony. I was kind of disappointed that neither WFAA, Fox 4, nor CBS 11 were airing it at all. As much as I wanted to see the entire ceremony on NBC 5, they've had to cut it off in favor of their 11:00 pm newscast, so I changed the channel to Telemundo 39 because I figured out that whenever NBC has a special report, most of the time, it'll also be on Telemundo (because NBC and Telemundo are network siblings). Not sure if Univision broadcasted it because I didn't check, but I'm willing to bet they did air the ceremony.

Jim Gardner mentioned tonight that Cathy Gandolfo will return to Action News to cover the Pope's visit to Philadelphia. I was just thinking the other day how Cathy had always been the go-to correspondent for papal events, and it would be strange not having her there covering this historic event.

Wow, neat that Cathy is returning for pope coverage!

I have to wonder ... has there been this much hype/build up over the Pope in NYC and DC?

Wow, neat that Cathy is returning for pope coverage!

I have to wonder ... has there been this much hype/build up over the Pope in NYC and DC?

In New York, yes. Big story with lots of special programming and pre-emptions to cover arrivals, addresses, processions, motorcades and masses. It was nice to see tons of coverage of a positive story.

Guest Newshound

Ok, now it's working on my end. Cbs3 is doing a great job -- I love Pat Cirocci and Jim Donovan -- could this be an anchor team moving forward? It's interesting that he is anchoring, they could have had natasha brown and pat co-anchor, but, they like Jim. Also, What do we think of 10's coverage? Are the photographers and tech people still on strike? They seem to struggle at times, they even had drew smith live on the phone -- which is weird. Thoughts on nbc10, and the other stations coverage?

Did 62 (10's sister) have better coverage of the papal visit than 10?

I'm guessing not given the strike. I'd imagine most of their photographers and techs are unionized too. Telemundo 62's news has a seperate team (including an assistant news director) but they fall under NBC 10's management structure.

I think 6 is doing a great job, they have people spread out all over the place covering various angles. Excited to see what the parade coverage looks like.

I know WPVI has awesome coverage, but do FOX 29 and CBS 3 (and by extension, CBS Philly) have good coverage of the papal visit as well?

Guest Newshound

Ok, so, What do you guys think of how 10 is doing? I like tracy, vai, and terry ruggles as a good team -- a three anchor team, a co-anchor team. really good. Their reporters are spread all over -- it took them a little while, but, they figured it out. do you guys notice any technical issue with 10? I have, a few times, one big thing was terry and vai were talking, but the feed of the music that was going on on the parkway-- it was drowning them out. I also find it weird they are broadcasting in a studio, and that they don't have anchors live on a parkway set, like 3 and 6 do. This is most likely because of the strike. Are they still on strike? I don't know, but, i'm guessjng yes.

Guest Newshound

10's coverage is bad. they're all anchoring from a studio. 3 and 6 are out on the parkway, getting a great team of reporters_/ anchors for coverage. this strike really is hurting them. have you guys watched 10 at all? 3 and 6 are killing it -- and 10 is bad -- and I'm a big 10 viewer and fan. disappointed to put it nicely.

Guest Newshound

agreed. What do you guys think is bad about wcau's coverage? Not having a set for the anchors on the parkway is a big problem -- plus, the anchors just seem confused in general. 10 does not seem to be on their game at all -- beyond that it's hard for me to explain. Do you guys get what i'm saying? Chime in. 6 and 3 are doing great -- and I love 10, but they just fell off a cliff, as far as their caoverage goes. Earlier tonight, when they went to break, the control room didn't pull away fast enough and you could hear Jim and Jacqueline having a private conversation. Can we get any insite on here from other nbc10 viewers? get what i'm saying.

I can't believe 10 just cut to boxing... The quality of their broadcast is just downright embarassing. So many mistakes. 3 and 6 are doing great, I really have liked 3's anchor teams especially, Pat and Jim and now Ukee and Jessica, all seem to have great chemistry and are providing good commentary.

I can't believe 10 just cut to boxing... The quality of their broadcast is just downright embarassing. So many mistakes. 3 and 6 are doing great, I really have liked 3's anchor teams especially, Pat and Jim and now Ukee and Jessica, all seem to have great chemistry and are providing good commentary.

Yeah. I've been really enjoying KYW's coverage too.

The team-up of Pat and Jim Donovan was surprising, but was great in turnout. Their chemistry was really nice.

And same with Ukee and Jessica. Such perfect viewing.

And I didn't get to watch WPVI's coverage, but I know it was just as extensively great and watcheble.

Guest Newshound

i'll be watching 6 and 3 from now on, 10 really dropped the ball. Even though they say count on it, well, you can't. lol. do you guys agree _/ disagree? Guys, is 10 still on strike? how long could this last?

Considering all the resources Comcast has poured into WCAU and all the talk here about it in ways supplanting WNBC as NBC's flagship, it's a shame to see them dropping the ball so hard.
I like to think of Philly and NYC as bros considering how close (metaphorically and literally) they are to each other. I don't think WCAU will supplant WNBC as NBC's flagship and neither will WWSI do it to WNJU. In fact, they'll make WCAU NBC's tertiary flagship and WWSI as Telemundo's quaternary flagship.

i'll be watching 6 and 3 from now on, 10 really dropped the ball. Even though they say count on it, well, you can't. lol. do you guys agree _/ disagree? Guys, is 10 still on strike? how long could this last?
They aired the live stream on NBC10's website. Not sure if they're still on strike though. Here in DFW however, I'm really dissappointed that neither WFAA, NBC 5, Fox 4 (or Fox News Sunday in that matter), CBS 11, or even Telemundo 39 aired the Pope's visit in Philly. Only Univision aired it nationally. Really disappointed that none of the networks (except CBS via CBSN and CBS Philly) broadcast it live. A missed opportunity for most of the networks on a once in a lifetime experience.

I have been watching the coverage all this week and I have to say I'm very impressed with the coverage from Philly. I caught a glimpse of all of the local stations' coverage through their live stream. WPVI and KYW are doing great. I've seen more of KYW via CBSN. WCAU doesn't seem as engaged as the former two. I wasn't that impressed with FOX 29's presentation. But overall go Philadelphia.

Very interesting to see WPHL airing NBC college sports programming yesterday as 10 was mostly doublerunning their coverage on 10.1 and 10.2 (when 10.1 didn't bail for golf). WPHL is also apparently airing their own production of coverage of today's mass starting with a pre-show at 3:30.

Archived