KOMO Building brand new set

wac_suyaru

Thank goodness Sinclair is providing KOMO4 with something good. The logo is so so. I knew this day would come when KOMO4 would loose the current graphics and "Battery". This set looks 1000 times better than the crap one at WJLA.

Why was KOMO given a decent set by Sinclair and WJLA gets a mediocre set? Last I checked, DC is a top-10 market and Seattle is 15th.

I know. Maybe its because KOMO is more iconic and a ratings leader in their market more so than WJLA but don't qoute me on that. hahaha

I know. Maybe its because KOMO is more iconic and a ratings leader in their market more so than WJLA but don't qoute me on that. hahaha

I think you're right though (although I was under the impression that KING was the ratings leader and KOMO was the perennial #2). Especially since Sinclair seems to be basing their web department out of Fisher Plaza because I think the new website redesigns are based from the Seattle team (one of the smartest decision Sinclair has ever made because their Baltimore team was terrible). So I do think that they're wanting to treat it like they treat their icon stations (WSYX, etc.) But the odd thing is that WJLA was supposed to be Sinclair's new crown jewel but it looks like the station has been getting shoddy treatment ever since Allbritton sold the station to them.

The set does look nice but that logo looks too clunky. Trying to figure out how they're going to fit that big logo in the bug for their newscasts. I think if you took out the "NEWS" part of the logo, you might actually have a decent logo.

Why was KOMO given a decent set by Sinclair and WJLA gets a mediocre set? Last I checked, DC is a top-10 market and Seattle is 15th.

There could be a variety of reasons, most of them boring and finance-related and not worth discussing. Market size really doesn't have much to do with it.

Sets are expensive (we're talking amounts that you can use "quarter(s) of a million" to describe even in midsize markets)... Just because it looks mediocre and cheap doesn't mean it was.

I think you're right though (although I was under the impression that KING was the ratings leader and KOMO was the perennial #2). Especially since Sinclair seems to be basing their web department out of Fisher Plaza because I think the new website redesigns are based from the Seattle team (one of the smartest decision Sinclair has ever made because their Baltimore team was terrible). So I do think that they're wanting to treat it like they treat their icon stations (WSYX, etc.) But the odd thing is that WJLA was supposed to be Sinclair's new crown jewel but it looks like the station has been getting shoddy treatment ever since Allbritton sold the station to them.

The set does look nice but that logo looks too clunky. Trying to figure out how they're going to fit that big logo in the bug for their newscasts. I think if you took out the "NEWS" part of the logo, you might actually have a decent logo.

So are Sinclair graphics in-house produce or commission by a firm? Did Baltimore create their website, but it moved to Seattle? I can tell you that in the 90s Sinclair was super horrible with cheap graphics, set, but seems like there pouring $$$ into their stations. Now, remember Sinclair has always been cheaper & lean. Their products of stations that been in their fold for a long time have always been a cookie- cutter product.

With Seattle & D.C. being bigger markets to own I think they would have their A game in full force for big market. WJLA looks cookie cutter, but that the look they might be going for. Seems like Scripps & TEGNA are in the same boat as well [or at least moving that way]

So are Sinclair graphics in-house produce or commission by a firm? Did Baltimore create their website, but it moved to Seattle? I can tell you that in the 90s Sinclair was super horrible with cheap graphics, set, but seems like there pouring $$$ into their stations. Now, remember Sinclair has always been cheaper & lean. Their products of stations that been in their fold for a long time have always been a cookie- cutter product.

With Seattle & D.C. being bigger markets to own I think they would have their A game in full force for big market. WJLA looks cookie cutter, but that the look they might be going for. Seems like Scripps & TEGNA are in the same boat as well [or at least moving that way]

Sinclair's graphics were commissioned by a firm in Iceland of all places. It does kind of explain the simplistic look to them.

[MEDIA=vimeo]102639583[/MEDIA]

https://vimeo.com/sitrus

As far as their web department. I recall that it's split between Baltimore and Seattle which was the web department left over from the Fisher days. I could be wrong but I think the last few versions of the Sinclair website layouts were based out of the Baltimore group and now it seems to be based out of Seattle.

http://sinclairconnected.com/

WJLA definitely looks cookie cutter as they wasted no time in bringing in all the Sinclair mandated segments and programming the moment. But even considering all of that, they decided to go the cheap route with their set which looks very out of place for a market the size of Washington. I will give Sinclair credit in bringing in Devlin to build the new KOMO set but now I'm wondering why they just didn't do the same for WJLA. Programming and content wise, it seems that KOMO is pretty much the opposite of cookie cutter even under the ownership of Sinclair which is another smart move on Sinclair's part.

Archived