KDKA Getting a New Set

lanman

Miss the Autocam peds. Say what you want about those heavy beasts they are much superior to those newer peds that appear to be much cheaper and break easily.

Their new CamBot camera pedestals are NOISY. When KD was on the temp set, you could hear them quite audibly when they were moving.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their new CamBot camera pedestals are NOISY. When KD was on the temp set, you could hear them quite audibly when they were moving.

I've never heard any noises on the cam bots at WJZ because they do nothing fancy. They have three parked at the news desk, one at the weather center and the other at the green screen. The only movement those pedestals do are the occasional tweaks and the open of the show where they start out with a wide shot of the desk then immediately zoom in on one of the two anchors.

Edit: This is WJZ's default camera setup:

[MEDIA=instagram]1t-yfaN5Ad[/MEDIA]

I've never heard any noises on the cam bots at WJZ because they do nothing fancy. They have three parked at the news desk, one at the weather center and the other at the green screen. The only movement those pedestals do are the occasional tweaks and the open of the show where they start out with a wide shot of the desk then immediately zoom in on one of the two anchors.

Edit: This is WJZ's default camera setup:

[MEDIA=instagram]1t-yfaN5Ad[/MEDIA]

That looks like a CBS logo that came from the late 90s to me, but who am I kidding, that set is '98! That set has been around so long that my sister has the same age as the set = 17 years old.

That looks like a CBS logo that came from the late 90s to me, but who am I kidding, that set is '98! That set has been around so long that my sister has the same age as the set = 17 years old.

If I recall correctly it was their WJZ logo with Eyewitness News underneath.

You can see it at 7:27 in the video. That area with the logo never appears on screen.

KDKA and Devlin have outdone themselves!! WPXI must be reeling at the poor showing after probably spending a ton of money with Clickspring, those guys are not cheap. Just goes to show you a bigger budget doesn't guarantee you success, it still comes down to a vision and the talent to execute the vision.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what Hometown High Q will look like on the new set:

[MEDIA=twitter]665560410062475264[/MEDIA]

The anchor desk can be cleanly removed from the studio.

It's no different from other Devlin-designed sets where they have several movable parts including the desk area, though I have to wonder if those game show podiums were also built by them or if it was an in-house job by KDKA.

Wow. I never thought the set would be even more impressive than that, but I guess it just did.

It's no different from other Devlin-designed sets where they have several movable parts including the desk area, though I have to wonder if those game show podiums were also built by them or if it was an in-house job by KDKA.

They've been using the same podiums for years, but they've been tweaked a bit in the photo.

I am only one that think it looks cheap?

See this from WGAL Brain Busters and tell me if that looks cheap. LMAO.

IMG-0750-jpg.jpg

IMG-0753-JPG--1-.jpg

cropped-Unknown14.jpeg

IMG-0749-jpg.jpg

Yeah, so that's Brain Busters ... been on WGAL since 2000. Host is Rich Rosen ... he's a piece of work. Haha.

The set is at WGAL ... Studio A. Main news studio is Studio B. They make a big production out of the season finale each year, held at Harrisburg's Whitaker Center ... That is the biggest science museum in the HLLY market.

-- Matt

My money is on the guy in the middle! Nice transformation work by Devlin, the producers and directors of the show have to be thrilled over the on-air look. I've never seen a kids show look that good even on national shows!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved the look, also :) Many of you seem curious about it! So, here's what made that temp set...

The two desk models:

http://tvsetdesigns.com/products/news-desks/monolith-news-desk/

http://tvsetdesigns.com/products/news-desks/modular-news-desk/

The walls are a minimal/LED lit version of these Straight Frames:

http://tvsetdesigns.com/products/broadcast-set-frames/straight-frames/

(with a big duratran behind them)

And the 'wave wall' is just MDF that went through a particular CNC process, and then was lacquered white.

Our contact, Greg Loscar, was absolutely great to work with on this project. He was a huge part in the final aesthetic of it.

I wish I could get something like that as a PERMANENT set here!!! Ours dates back to 2004!

Don't get me started on WJZ. It's 1998 every day there. Terrible, predictable mess if colors and same old music... You would think being beaten continuously by WBAL would tell them to change...

Meanwhile here on my turf in SD we still have the same set when we first went on air here at XETV back in 1999.

But at KUSI they found old Indian arrowheads and bones under their desk...used by John Colemen's ancestors.

Don't get me started on WJZ. It's 1998 every day there. Terrible, predictable mess if colors and same old music... You would think being beaten continuously by WBAL would tell them to change...

They're still beating WMAR and WBFF, so that's good enough for them, I assume.

• 7 months later...

Archived