KDKA Getting a New Set

lanman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best one I've seen all year. It looks like they turned their temp set and made it bigger and possibly, better for the permanent set.

I really do like KDKA's new set. KDKA or WPXI? Hmm... I have to give it to KDKA. I do like WPXI's new one too, but not as much as KDKA.

Best one I've seen all year. It looks like they turned their temp set and made it bigger and possibly, better for the permanent set.

I really do like KDKA's new set. KDKA or WPXI? Hmm... I have to give it to KDKA. I do like WPXI's new one too, but not as much as KDKA.

WPXI's set is nice too and is well deserved...but it has a strange layout to me. I'm not sure I care for the weather desk being part of the anchor desk. I haven't seen that anywhere else. KDKA definitely wins the battle of the studios, I think!

I can't believe how realistic they made the temporary set look with the evenly spaced columns to the real finished project.

Any word on if the news desk rotates/pivots on that circle? I hope they can also use those 90" monitors to display something other than a skyline.

This is easily the top set this year.

I occasionally like seeing a hardwood floor. This is one of them and it looks REALLY damn nice! Great choice in doing that and easily one of Devlin's best works ever. Man, they've really been putting out some great stuff lately.

Easily far superior over WPXI's for sure.

Whatever is powering them isn't at least taking one image/video and stretching it accross all 14. If they weren't a BroadcastPix shop, I would say they're using a Viz video wall controller - apparently they can take eight inputs (for live video) and output eight full HD images no matter what orientation.

I could see the monitors come in handy on election night where each person gets their own monitor.

They're monitors. They look really good. I wonder what system they have driving them...

Also it looks like the desk may rotate. In one of the pictures on their web gallery saw brightly colored gaffers tape marking where one corner is supposed to be.

Do you think the lack of any "hard" branding on KD's new set mean a new graphics package/logo is in the works?

I recall an article on TVNewsCheck where there was at least one other new set that's devoid of branding so that the studio can be used for a wide variety of productions. They could easily now perhaps produce different productions in the corner where the video wall meets with a different backdrop and lighting and most people may not notice a difference.

I recall an article on TVNewsCheck where there was at least one other new set that's devoid of branding so that the studio can be used for a wide variety of productions. They could easily now perhaps produce different productions in the corner where the video wall meets with a different backdrop and lighting and most people may not notice a difference.

WDJT-TV Milwaukee's old set was designed that way, so it could also be used by their sister station, a Telemundo affiliate. Their new set is clearly branded for CBS58, though.

This. This way the entire set can be branded for their different shows without much hassle and creating a new "set" for any potential new programs just involvea figuring out where the desk/couch/whatever goes. A new "infotainment" show with no connection to the news department? No problem, because there's not a single physical "KDKA 2 NEWS" logo on the set that they have to design around.

Archived