Gray TV acquiring Schurz

TheRob

It appears that Gray is interested in continuing their expansion, and they have an interest in strong stations in larger markets from size 30 to 50, but mention that not many stations are for sale in those markets. That would very well change if the Media General/Meredith merger pushes through.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/88467/gray-interested-in-continued-tv-expansion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few take aways:

Springfield, MO is now served by Nexstar and Gray. For some reason that just feels disappointing for that market but imagine more markets will be like that as more station groups consolidate. Plus I'm interested in seeing how they run KY3 because Schruz put a lot of investment into that station like they did with their other stations and eventually the LMA they have with KSPR.

It will also be interesting to see how much KOTA and KEVN combine their operations in Rapid City because they're the two dominant stations in that market. I'm surprised that hasn't raised any red flags yet.

I wonder if that LMA with KSPR will change once Gray assumes ownership of KY3?

It appears that Gray is interested in continuing their expansion, and they have an interest in strong stations in larger markets from size 30 to 50, but mention that not many stations are for sale in those markets. That would very well change if the Media General/Meredith merger pushes through.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/88467/gray-interested-in-continued-tv-expansion

This could make WALA a contender for Gray since Mobile/Pensacola has leaped slightly ahead of Knoxville in terms of market rank and size. They need to watch out for the pratfall of acquiring stations that are too big for them to handle, like what happened with Media General and the former NBC O&Os. The result was a financial disaster coupled with the great recession that tanked both WVTM and WCMH in the ratings, and led to a selloff of smaller, weaker assets.

Gray seems like an under the radar broadcaster that is perfectly fine below the top 50 markets, but if they get any bigger, their focus may change and get lost in the process.

WNDU IIRC rates higher and has Notre Dame football. Regardless whomever divested has (M)MG written all over them.

KAKE is a tossup. Scripps does have radio in Wichita so they'd be logical, ditto Hearst.

It's a sad day in broadcasting when a decent operator like Schurz gets sucked up by an inferior one (Gray).

Here's hoping they don't destroy WDBJ and KYTV....

As for the Augusta situation, WAGT is WELL situated within WJBF....their new Television Park was built specifically to run both stations. Trying to do the same with WRDW may force them to move to a larger facility. It's an underhanded move that could cause layoffs and a much more inferior product on WAGT.

Keeping WNDU is a no-brainer, since it's the dominant station in the market owing to it's long past as a part of Notre Dame before they sold it off to Gray. Media General could be a good swap partner for WSBT, perhaps to even out the loss of WAGT's operation. Weigel could be another suitor since they could put their low-powered operation on a full-powered signal and be well within their right to do so.

Interesting that KWCH is being kept.....before Schurz owned it, it was a Media General station. Now that KSN is a part of them, that rules them out of getting KAKE. Maybe Sinclair would want to trade up KSAS...

The article states that WSBT is #1 in South Bend.

It would be strange if they had to abandon Schurz's "flagship" in South Bend.

But it's happened before with Gray. Due to the then-regulations forbidding stations from having ovelapping signal contours, Gray sold off their "flagship" WALB to Liberty so they could acquire WCTV from the Phipps family. They came back to Albany in 2004 when WVAG was sold and rechristened as WCTV semi-satellite WSWG.

WNDU IIRC rates higher and has Notre Dame football. Regardless whomever divested has (M)MG written all over them.

Outside of the idiotic foot-shooting MG did to lose CBS in Indianapolis on WISH last year and Louisville/Kentuckiana being covered by WLKY/Hearst, MG runs CBS in all the markets in Indiana. WSBT would be a natural fit for MG.

Gray filed this document with the FCC. Gray intends to surrender or sell the license of KOTA-TV and move programming to a subchannel and satellites. On page 20/21, Gray is requesting KDUH-TV in Scottsbluff, Neb., become a satellite of KNOP-TV.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101687178&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Gray filed this document with the FCC. Gray intends to surrender or sell the license of KOTA-TV and move programming to a subchannel and satellites. On page 20/21, Gray is requesting KDUH-TV in Scottsbluff, Neb., become a satellite of KNOP-TV.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101687178&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

That sounds rather bizarre, especially considering KOTA's footprint is four stations and two or three states wide versus KEVN's two station footprint in one state. Also, it seems Gray is intent on expanding NBC Nebraska westward, could it be time to collapse Scottsbluff and North Platte into Lincoln/Hastings and render Cheyenne a separate market, perhaps pairing it with Fort Collins?

That sounds rather bizarre, especially considering KOTA's footprint is four stations and two or three states wide versus KEVN's two station footprint in one state. Also, it seems Gray is intent on expanding NBC Nebraska westward, could it be time to collapse Scottsbluff and North Platte into Lincoln/Hastings and render Cheyenne a separate market, perhaps pairing it with Fort Collins?

They're still going to use KOTA's two other satellites (KHSD and KSGW), it's just the main signal in Rapid City that's going to be replaced by an LPTV.

I can see Gray making a play for KTVF in Fairbanks (making them sister station to KTUU), with KFXF and K13XD being sold to Nexstar.

Not likely since the back office operations of the three stations have been merged. Much more likely to see one company take control of all three by turning off one of the full powers and moving the programming to the other.

That doesn't make sense. Scottsbluff also has KSTF, which is a satellite of KGWN in Cheyenne, and that station has a KCWY rebroadcast on its .2. If KDUH goes from being a KOTA satellite to a KNOP satellite, how would 'Bluff get ABC? Gray doesn't own any other nearby ABC affils (NTV and KTWO instantly come to mind)

That doesn't make sense. Scottsbluff also has KSTF, which is a satellite of KGWN in Cheyenne, and that station has a KCWY rebroadcast on its .2. If KDUH goes from being a KOTA satellite to a KNOP satellite, how would 'Bluff get ABC? Gray doesn't own any other nearby ABC affils (NTV and KTWO instantly come to mind)

It has less to do with ABC and more to do with the fact that there are no stations in Scottsbluff that provide Nebraska news. Everything comes from Denver, Cheyenne, Casper or Rapid City. By making KDUH a repeater of KNOP, the region will at least have one station that covers news in their state.

KLWY, the Fox station in Cheyenne, runs KTWO on its .2. It won't be over the air, but it will probably be made available on cable and satellite.

It has less to do with ABC and more to do with the fact that there are no stations in Scottsbluff that provide Nebraska news. Everything comes from Denver, Cheyenne, Casper or Rapid City. By making KDUH a repeater of KNOP, the region will at least have one station that covers news in their state.

The idea is to basically take that asset and put it into its NBC Nebraska state network. KSTF has its own studios.

There is also an LPTV K09YH-D in Scottsbluff, co-owned with KDUH. It is actually a Class A but relays KDUH. They could leave K09YH with the ABC service.

Update: Gray will sell KAKE/Wichita to Lockwood Broadcasting for $11.2 million and the assets of WBXX/Knoxville (Gray owns WVLT already).

Gray will swap WSBT/South Bend to Sinclair for WLUC/Marquette

Legacy Broadcasting will buy the KOTA assets/license in Rapid City. The ABC programming will move to a KEVN subchannel as we discussed.

Also, Gray is buying KYES (MyNet) in Anchorage to pair with KTUU.

Edit to add news release: http://gray.tv/index.php?page=press-releases&releaseid=2092306

That WSBT/WLUC swap seems a bit lopsided especially since Sinclair has stations in most directions surrounding Marquette and there is a bit of a market rank gap.

I would assume that WKNX would get the WATE newscasts that WBXX airs now once all that closes.

Update: Gray will sell KAKE/Wichita to Lockwood Broadcasting for $11.2 million and the assets of WBXX/Knoxville (Gray owns WVLT already).

Legacy Broadcasting will buy the KOTA assets/license in Rapid City. The ABC programming will move to a KEVN subchannel as we discussed.

Edit to add news release: http://gray.tv/index.php?page=press-releases&releaseid=2092306

So basically, KAKE to Lockwood and Gray gets WBXX for a WVLT/WBXX duopoly, which means that, yet again, WATE's newscasts will soon move to WKNX, which is still owned by Lockwood.

WSBT goes to Sinclair while Gray gets WLUC, with no duopolies there.

KOTA goes to Legacy, shuts down and goes to KEVN 7.2 while their repeaters will remain ABC on their man channels, except KDUH which will become semi-satellite to KNOP.

KTUU buys KYES and creates a duopoly. That means more local news is coming there soon, I just know it.

Please tell me I got this all correct. Trying to understand what's going on now.

So basically, KAKE to Lockwood and Gray gets WBXX for a WVLT/WBXX duopoly, which means that, yet again, WATE's newscasts will soon move to WKNX, which is still owned by Lockwood.

WSBT goes to Sinclair while Gray gets WLUC, with no duopolies there.

KOTA goes to Legacy, shuts down and goes to KEVN 7.2 while their repeaters will remain ABC on their man channels, except KDUH which will become semi-satellite to KNOP.

KTUU buys KYES and creates a duopoly. That means more local news is coming there soon, I just know it.

Please tell me I got this all correct. Trying to understand what's going on now.

KOTA won't be shut down per se. Legacy gets all of the station's assets as well as its programming agreements with This TV and Me-TV, effectively converting into an affiliate of both networks, which are already carried on the station's subchannels.

If ABC programming is moved to a KEVN subchannel, instead of its main channel though, it would create a situation similar to that which exists with KECY and WGXA, where Fox is the primary affiliation and ABC (a Big Three network) is available through a .2.

If ABC programming is moved to a KEVN subchannel, instead of its main channel though, it would create a situation similar to that which exists with KECY and WGXA, where Fox is the primary affiliation and ABC (a Big Three network) is available through a .2.

Basically, yes.

In South Bend:

The South Bend Tribune (in which WSBT was named for) goes to Schurz Comm.

WSBT Television - Channel 22 goes to Sinclair Broadcast Group.

960 WSBT Radio goes to Gray Television.

A very sad mess in South Bend, indeed. And unfortunately, no grandfathered clause in this duopoly, breaking the way for breaking up the three properties together.

That price seems a little low for KAKE. I'm surprised that it didn't go to a larger company. Does Lockwood have the resources/finances to keep KAKE competitive? Their only news producing station is KTEN in Sherman, Texas. I would be concerned if I was a KAKE employee.

Sad to see WSBT go to Sinclair. I was hoping that another company will take it. This swap seem one sided to me. It seems that Sinclair is getting something of greater value than what Gray is getting. If WPBN was thrown in alongside with WLUC then I would see it as a fair trade.

Can Gray create a legal duopoly in Anchorage? I didn't think that there would be enough stations there to do that.

That price seems a little low for KAKE. I'm surprised that it didn't go to a larger company. Does Lockwood have the resources/finances to keep KAKE competitive? Their only news producing station is KTEN in Sherman, Texas. I would be concerned if I was a KAKE employee.

Sad to see WSBT go to Sinclair. I was hoping that another company will take it. This swap seem one sided to me. It seems that Sinclair is getting something of greater value than what Gray is getting. If WPBN was thrown in alongside with WLUC then I would see it as a fair trade.

Can Gray create a legal duopoly in Anchorage? I didn't think that there would be enough stations there to do that.

That is why Gray is asking for a failed station waiver to acquire KYES.

Archived