WISN Milwaukee gets new set for "Upfront"

LoadStar

Looks like WISN introduced a remodeled set today for the political show "Upfront with Mike Gousha," also seen on other ABC stations across the state. This was desperately needed as the set was *extremely* dated. I believe it was at one point (early to mid 90's, I think) used as a main news set. It really received only minor updates before becoming the Upfront set, and the updates it received were done extremely cheaply.

The new set makes heavy use of the Hearst diagrid combined with various types of stacked stone. You can see a little of the set here: http://www.wisn.com/news/matc-to-offer-free-tuition-to-some-students/35241548

I like it and think it looks good for the market (or any really as a side interview set/nook). I can't tell from the video but did they erect a real diagrid or was it part of the graphic in the background.

The lower thirds and the graphics on the monitor appear to try to tie the diagrid together but I think it looks a bit awkward especially in the lower thirds. They should have ditched the animating diagrid background in the lower thirds all together.

Those graphics have been in use for about two years now...

[GALLERY=media, 278]UpFront GuestSuper by Weeters posted Sep 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 280]UpFront MikeSuper by Weeters posted Sep 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 279]UpFront Titlecard by Weeters posted Sep 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM[/GALLERY]

The new set is a much needed improvement. I think the old set was assembled out of set pieces from their last few sets.

Looks kinda like an FX Group job.

I think the old set was assembled out of set pieces from their last few sets.

I'm pretty sure there's at least a portion of that set that dated back all the way to the "Channel 12 This Morning" era, back when David Davis worked for the station way back when.

Archived