KTLA Begins new "Problem Solvers" franchise

FiveNews

I saw a promo this morning with 6pm/10pm/11pm anchors Micah Ohlman and Cher Calvin for their new "Problem Solvers" franchise. It looks like the Problem Solvers stories will start airing on Monday 9/14. I find it interesting that KTLA is going this route since their newscasts get pretty good ratings. Plus, these Problem Solvers stories are usually in middle to smaller markets (no disrespect to mid/smaller TV markets). I have followed local LA TV since the mid 1980s, so I think I am pretty well versed. I can only recall something similar from KABC and the 7 On Your Side reports in the late 90s/early 00s... and of course the infamous Mike "Bogey" Boguslawski on KCBS during the "Station of the People" era.

Coming up with snazzy branding for what's otherwise just the investigative/special projects team is nothing new regardless of market size. Though I do think it's interesting that sister Tribune station KDVR also just switched their investigative brand over to "Problem Solvers" as well.

Archived