WXYZ Getting Set Updates

ns8401

Over the next few weeks WXYZ is receiving updates to it's 2011 FX Group designed set.

Here's what they have done so far:

In July they installed a new monitor array duratrans that used the existing duratrans image but was calibrated so that the circle 7 fit within the camera shot instead of being cut off:

In August they experimented with a new duratrans image for their evening newscasts:

The Main set received a monitor array to do standups in front of, this is also being used on The NOW Detroit:

Here's how they are using it for The NOW:

They also debuted the final versions of their evening duratrans image:

And their new 11pm duratrans image (skip through to 20 seconds):

I'm really happy they aren't replacing the wrap-around set with one of the sets in a box.

What will they be updating? New desk, new standup area?

So far the new Duratrans and monitor array wall stand up area is it. That's why I put all those links up showing what's been done so far. I'd imagine a new desk is coming too since the current one matches the old graphics. One of their reporters posts on another forum I'm on and only gave the cryptic "things are getting tweaked on set before some cool new stuff debuts in the fall". That was about 3 weeks ago. I waited till they did something to it before I mentioned it here. I'm sure there will be more and I'll share it when it debuts.

Just FYI... "Duratrans" usually refer to printed backlit set elements ("Duratrans" is actually a trademark of Kodak). Monitor arrays/video walls/etc are called just that, but sometimes stations come up with their own terms (i.e. "Big Monitor Wall")

Just want to put that out there so people don't get confused as to what's going on.

Just FYI... "Duratrans" usually refer to printed backlit set elements ("Duratrans" is actually a trademark of Kodak). Monitor arrays/video walls/etc are called just that, but sometimes stations come up with their own terms (i.e. "Big Monitor Wall")

Just want to put that out there so people don't get confused as to what's going on.

Thanks for clarifying Weeters... I wasn't sure what to call it so I went with what I've always known the image back there to be. This is actually the first monitor array I've seen that replaced a normal Duratrans. I expected them just to throw a new printed image up there...

Originally when this set was installed in 2003 and for about 6 years after the set had a backlit projecter instead of a Duratrans and it was capable of changing images on the fly. I think that's what they were trying to recapture with the monitor array. I haven't seen them use it for putting any video behind the anchors or anything yet. The large array had a camera pointing at it while they showed various tower cam shots on it this morning though.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple more minor modifications have been made to their anchor area:

First is some new monitor's for their desk. They have had the same black monitors with circle 7 stickers on the desk since 2010 from their old set. The new monitors are all white and look like something Apple would make. The video below shows when they had only installed one monitor so you can see the old vs. new:

Next they have changed the circle 7 logo on their monitor array images. The new one is slightly thinner, much shinier and it slowly turns side to side. I don't know if that means the logo is changing in general of if it's just to make it look better behind the anchors.

Evening version:

Night version:

Archived