KETV getting a new building

Breaking News

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel like rewriting something else I wrote on TVForum.co.uk. So here it is in its full unedited form:

Having trouble editing but I commend KETV for turning an eyesore and a piece of Omaha history into the 21st century. I like the video wall and the different vertical stand up positions. I don't care for the desk or the weather center. The weather center in my opinion just looks out of place and I wish that stations would get rid of standing news desks - they're fine for a small area for a report but most be difficult for a long newscast.

I don't get how the blue rectangles reflect train tracks on the ground. If I designed it I would make it a solid blue curve but with either the grey ish or black line protruding from each side akin to a rail road tie.

One other thing I love is that they didn't take the move as a turn to automate. From the looks of it the cameras are still operated by humans and the production gallery is fully staffed. Hearst is one of those companies where no matter the size of the market none of their newscasts are automated (if I recall correctly Hearst de-automated their two most recent purchases) and they are providing jobs to the local economy.

Nicely put. They need to sit down. SIT DOWN PEOPLE. Who decided that anchors should stand? Special report? Fine. Breaking news with need for visual aide? Great! I'll stand with you in front of my TV. But the reality is it is intimidating and clunky, it loosens rapport and makes you think the entire time "are their legs tired?" There is a very pregnant AM anchor on KETV- I don't know how i am going to feel about turning the news tomorrow morning and seeing that gal stand from 4-7 AM.

The set looks incomplete. Nothing to border or "tie" elements together. Honestly, the home-viewing experience could have been accomplished with a green wall.

Ehhhhhh... I think a lot of the $22 million probably went in to new technology.

I mean, that lobby had the least amount of work done to it as possible. I know the goal wasn't a "restoration", but that brickwork in the lobby was never ever meant to be exposed and it looks as such. It makes it look less like "We moved into this historic old train station!" and more like "We moved into this old train station that was abandoned and run down for decades, and boy does it show!".

Remember this is what the lobby looked like in the 30's:

6zlDd0b.jpg

The set isn't bad, but it's not good either. I think the weird round floor design is supposed to represent a Roundhouse. Which has little to do with the station itself???

Ehhhhhh... I think a lot of the $22 million probably went in to new technology.

I mean, that lobby had the least amount of work done to it as possible. I know the goal wasn't a "restoration", but that brickwork in the lobby was never ever meant to be exposed and it looks as such. It makes it look less like "We moved into this historic old train station!" and more like "We moved into this old train station that was abandoned and run down for decades, and boy does it show!".

Remember this is what the lobby looked like in the 30's:

6zlDd0b.jpg

The set isn't bad, but it's not good either. I think the weird round floor design is supposed to represent a Roundhouse. Which has little to do with the station itself???

I completely understand the cost. "Repurposing" a century-old building was waaaaaaaaaay more expensive than what Hearst could have spent.Kudos to them for doing what they did.

My point was simply that if you're going to have a one of a kind; century old repurposed, heavily publicized, $22-million dollar TV station, it better have a studio that fits. Not saying anything about technology, I am saying "splurge" a little more than you normally would to ensure you're massive investment is showcased properly. The set modifications, differently executed design-wise would have been peanuts relative to project cost.

Hearst should have gone with a little higher end design firm perhaps for this one or given DDG a more suitable budget. But I've been impressed with DDG latest work and see what they're capable of.

Nicely put. They need to sit down. SIT DOWN PEOPLE. Who decided that anchors should stand? Special report? Fine. Breaking news with need for visual aide? Great! I'll stand with you in front of my TV. But the reality is it is intimidating and clunky, it loosens rapport and makes you think the entire time "are their legs tired?" There is a very pregnant AM anchor on KETV- I don't know how i am going to feel about turning the news tomorrow morning and seeing that gal stand from 4-7 AM.

The set looks incomplete. Nothing to border or "tie" elements together. Honestly, the home-viewing experience could have been accomplished with a green wall.

It looks like Alex & John are sitting....

AVTLnHR.png

They are HD now- started broadcasting news in HD yesterday. Maybe they're ashamed it took so long and they're the last in the market to broadcast news in HD and didn't want to draw attention to that fact? I don't know.

They are HD now- started broadcasting news in HD yesterday. Maybe they're ashamed it took so long and they're the last in the market to broadcast news in HD and didn't want to draw attention to that fact? I don't know.

I think the real reason why it took so long was because the "Newsplex" wasn't equipped for KETV to go HD. My question is there any other Hearst-owned Stations that hasn't switched to HD as of yet? I know KETV was one of them.

k

I think the real reason why it took so long was because the "Newsplex" wasn't equipped for KETV to go HD. My question is there any other Hearst-owned Stations that hasn't switched to HD as of yet? I know KETV was one of them.
KOAT and WDSU off the top of my head and I think one or two in the New England cluster.

Yeah, you're right - I get the reason for no HD at Newsplex, I was giving a sarcastic opinion as to why they aren't branding anything "HD", though they've mentioned they are in HD.

Last opinion on this from me-

With regard to the panel display: I think the set would be less odd if they could maybe have a skyline shot (day/night) and the story graphics pop between them. The moving of "slashes" and "diamonds" make it look like a green screen and, at moments, makes the set look very cheap. I want some wood in that desk- and other places to soften the blue-orange empty box feeling. Also, the newsroom desk shot, with the view of the newsroom behind glass, could use a little better branding. "KETV NEWSWATCH 7 NEWS ROOM" in the glass - like a boarder or something.

I don't think WLKY is either.

WMTW and WPTZ too.

Wow! It's 2015 and yet not all of the stations in the Hearst portfolio has switched to HD? That's just outright ridiculous if you ask me.

You'd think they would be in HD by now. I can understand why KETV wasn't in HD (due to their old building not equipped to allow KETV to switch to HD) but as for WLKY, WPTZ and WMTW? Inexcusable for not being in HD. Can somebody please explain to me why WLKY, WPTZ and WMTW are not in HD?

Wow! It's 2015 and yet not all of the stations in the Hearst portfolio has switched to HD? That's just outright ridiculous if you ask me.

You'd think they would be in HD by now. I can understand why KETV wasn't in HD (due to their old building not equipped to allow KETV to switch to HD) but as for WLKY, WPTZ and WMTW? Inexcusable for not being in HD. Can somebody please explain to me why WLKY, WPTZ and WMTW are not in HD?

I don't get WLKY's situation, since they were able to get a new set, but not new cameras. WPTZ, I'm not really sure. And WMTW, they moved into a brand new building and still... no news in HD. This is confusing to say the least.

So according to people on here WDSU, KOAT, WMTW, WPTZ, WLKY, aren't in HD.

I also don't think that KHBS/KHOG, KSBW, and WAPT are in HD.

That's a lot of stations that aren't in HD. Pretty ridiculous considering it's 2015 and that these aren't small market stations.

That's a lot of stations that aren't in HD. Pretty ridiculous considering it's 2015 and that these aren't small market stations.

I almost wonder if Hearst's reluctance is because of their stance against automation. Possibly costs a bit more installing individual equipment than one of those that are cheaper in a box.

I almost wonder if Hearst's reluctance is because of their stance against automation. Possibly costs a bit more installing individual equipment than one of those that are cheaper in a box.

OverDrive isn't an automation system "in a box". It uses a physical switcher, audio board, CGs, etc. I believe Sony ELC does as well.

What a

OverDrive isn't an automation system "in a box". It uses a physical switcher, audio board, CGs, etc. I believe Sony ELC does as well.

What about ignite? I thought you could set it up and have the server replace, the switcher, audio and other items.

What a

What about ignite? I thought you could set it up and have the server replace, the switcher, audio and other items.

Not sure about that.

In any case, they could do HD way cheaper without automation compared to with automation. A Ross Carbonite and a few ENG cameras (without CCUs) to replace the studio cameras, and a server upgrade could be done relatively cheap. However, I'm sure Hearst does their installs well and wants to go with all top of the line equipment.

After looking at Ignite it looks like they take the processing engine of the standard switcher but don't use the panel saving money. It also seems ignite can replace most studio equipment.

Not sure about that.

In any case, they could do HD way cheaper without automation compared to with automation. A Ross Carbonite and a few ENG cameras (without CCUs) to replace the studio cameras, and a server upgrade could be done relatively cheap. However, I'm sure Hearst does their installs well and wants to go with all top of the line equipment.

From past installs I've read they've aimed for network quality equipment - Sony MVS-8000G and the HDC-1000 series cameras too name a few of the equipment.

Back to KETV I think they're doing a good job. One thing I think they should add to their opens given how they love to mention "7 Burlington Station" would be of trains passing by for dramatic effect.

That's what I'm saying. Gotta keep up with the times

Archived