2015 NFL Season

Thundershock MN

The 2015 NFL regular season begins tomorrow. Since the thread last year was well received last year I figured why not do it again this year.

With start of another season year here is a quick review of the broadcasting agreements between the league and their broadcast partners.

ESPN: MNF Package is for 7 more years (running through the 2021-22 season.)

NBC: SNF Package is for 8 more years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

CBS: TNF Package was renewed for for 1 year (and, again comes with a league option for a second year.)

CBS: "AFC Package" is for 8 more years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

FOX: "NFC Package" is for 8 more years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

Yahoo!: One year deal for rights to one game. Deal is estimated to be between 10-20 million dollars.

Verizon: In Market Mobile Phone streaming is for 3 more years (running through the 2017-18 season.)

DirecTV: NFL Sunday Ticket Package was renewed last year for additional 8 years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

Here are some of the changes or "highlights" related to NFL broadcasting headed into the new season:

NFL on Yahoo!:

Thursday Night Football:

Saturday Night Football:

• As part of the “TNF package” late season Saturday Night football is back for another season with games in weeks 15 and 16.

• Both games will be shown exclusively on NFL Network (with OTA simulcasts in local markets.)

Sunday afternoon "Cross Flexing":

Sunday Night Football "Flex Scheduling":

• As part of the new SNF deal "flex scheduling" was expanded last year so that games between Weeks 5 and 17 could be affected by "flex scheduling." However, only two games may be flexed into Sunday Night between Week 5 and 10.

• The rest of the flexible scheduling procedures remain the same.

Postseason football:

Sunday Morning Football:

NFL International Series:

Streaming Options:

• Broadcasters were granted "TV Everywhere" rights (except via mobile phones) as part of their new deals. Mobile phone rights continue to be held by Verizon (through the 2017-18 season.) So, as at least as I understand it here is a quick breakdown of Streaming/Mobile rights:

Sunday Night Football:

Phones: Verizon (NFL Mobile)

All Other Devices: NBC (NBC Sports Live Extra)

Monday Night Football:

All Other Devices: ESPN (WatchESPN)

Thursday Night Football:

All Other Devices: NFL (Watch NFL Network)*

CBS Package (In Market):

All Other Devices: CBS (cbssports.com)**

FOX Package (In Market):

All Other Devices: FOX (FOX Sports Go)

CBS Package (Out Of Market):

Phones: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

All Other Devices: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

FOX Package (Out Of Market):

Phones: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

All Other Devices: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

NFL RedZone:

All Other Devices: NFL (Watch NFL Network)

*I don't believe the league extended CBS "TV Everywhere" or digital rights for TNF.

. CBS games do NOT require authentication.

***Also available via the standalone "online-only" NFL Sunday Ticket.tv service.

Other Notes:

Blackout Rule Lifted.

FOX NFL Kickoff moves to FOX.

Gold Everywhere.

NFL Now.

NFL Game Pass.

[Enjoy the season and happy discussion.

EDIT: (9/13) Added long breakdown of changes and hightlights

Guest Former Member 207

Don't forget too for those who have DirecTV, but don't have the Sunday Ticket, there's a free preview this weekend of the games and its Red Zone channel.

Also, on another note, the NFL has eliminated home game blackouts for this season. There were no home blackouts in 2014, with some of the teams using the NFL's "85-percent capacity" rule, where of course teams had to sell-out at least 85 percent of general admission seating to allow the local telecasts of home games.

Looking at the maps from 506sports, I'm kinda surprised that most of the country is getting KC @ Houston game (although it should be a pretty competitive game, and J.J. Watt is an absolute beast) as CBS's main 1pm ET game. I would have thought that Indianapolis-Buffalo would have gotten more distribution at least in more of the central part of the country.

Don't forget too for those who have DirecTV, but don't have the Sunday Ticket, there's a free preview this weekend of the games and its Red Zone channel.

Also, on another note, the NFL has eliminated home game blackouts for this season. There were no home blackouts in 2014, with some of the teams using the NFL's "85-percent capacity" rule, where of course teams had to sell-out at least 85 percent of general admission seating to allow the local telecasts of home games.

Looking at the maps from 506sports, I'm kinda surprised that most of the country is getting KC @ Houston game (although it should be a pretty competitive game, and J.J. Watt is an absolute beast) as CBS's main 1pm ET game. I would have thought that Indianapolis-Buffalo would have gotten more distribution at least in more of the central part of the country.

That's the game I'm keeping my eye on this Sunday Chiefs vs Texans

• 1 month later...

As expected, it's a CBS production (and using the TNF music; not that it's bad, but this matchup sort of screams Thursday Night Football to begin with).

BBC and Sky Sports are also showing this game in the UK. Sky's feed is suspiciously missing something, and the BBC has its own scoreboard that matches up with its usual look and its graphics for the other football (though it also seems Preseason-quality, and very glitchy according to our de facto British counterpart in TVForum)

[MEDIA=twitter]658288558202056705[/MEDIA]

(though I wouldn't mind seeing the "Football-style" score notation used more often)

• 2 weeks later...
I am surprised that next week, CBS has Nantz and Simms at the Patriots Giants game when Manning could break the record against the Chiefs. maybe because the Patriots Giants is the bigger game?

1. The Patriots are 8-0.
  2. Both teams are big media markets.
  3. Both teams have history with each other. Game 16 of the '07 season, Super Bowl XLII, Super Bowl XLVI
  4. Brady vs Eli

I know it is a stupid question but why did CBS take the Steelers game off for Dolphins Eagles?

If a network feels a game is a blowout, then they have the authorization to switch to a "better" game in that timeslot on the network.

The exception is in the home or secondary markets of the teams involved, or if a station requests an un-interuptible feed if the game is of interest to the region. In this scenario, the game is shown to completion no matter the score.

If a network feels a game is a blowout, then they have the authorization to switch to a "better" game in that timeslot on the network.

The exception is in the home or secondary markets of the teams involved, or if a station requests an un-interuptible feed if the game is of interest to the region. In this scenario, the game is shown to completion no matter the score.

Jim Nantz just said to some viewers hello from those watching KC vs. Denver, even though as of this post, the game is still not finished. KC leading Denver 29-0 in the 4th Q as of this post with Peyton Manning as 5/20 for 39 yds and 4 INT's and already benched for the rest of the game.

Jim Nantz just said to some viewers hello from those watching KC vs. Denver, even though as of this post, the game is still not finished. KC leading Denver 29-0 in the 4th Q as of this post with Peyton Manning as 5/20 for 39 yds and 4 INT's and already benched for the rest of the game.

So that likely means that those that most of those that were getting the Denver-KC game (save for home and and secondary markets of those teams) got switched to a more competitive game.

then why did FOX stick with Saints Redskins in New York when it could have switched to Dallas Tampa Bay or Detroit Green Bay? maybe because Saints Redskins was not the main game(that didn't stop CBS from cutting away from Broncos Chiefs though)

then why did FOX stick with Saints Redskins in New York when it could have switched to Dallas Tampa Bay or Detroit Green Bay? maybe because Saints Redskins was not the main game(that didn't stop CBS from cutting away from Broncos Chiefs though)

From what I gather, Fox only has the capability to cut to one game, which Fox decides before they start, and the swich to game (GB/DET) wasn't at the same point as the NO-WAS game.

Another thing is that your affiliate may have requested the "constant" feed of the game, since WAS is an NFC East Rival. In this scenario, the affiliate is given the same game, no matter if the game is a blowout.

CBS, on the other hand, has the capability to cut to any game they feel is more competitive, but they also follow the "constant feed" -protocol.

So that likely means that those that most of those that were getting the Denver-KC game (save for home and and secondary markets of those teams) got switched to a more competitive game.

Yep. Every game on Fox or CBS has a "constant feed" available. However, some games on Fox or CBS also have a "flex feed" available. The "constant feed" games remain with the same game until completion. The "flex feed" games can be switched to another game in the event of a blowout. All primary and secondary markets receive the "constant feed". Any other affiliates may request the "constant feed" or the "flex feed", if available.

So, using the example of the DEN/KC game there was a "flex feed" made available in addition to the "constant feed." So, when the game got out of hand viewers watching on affiliates that were using the "flex feed" left for NE/NYG. Thereby leaving the DEN/KC game's audience consisting only of the affiliates receiving the "constant feed." Ditto for last weeks CLE/PIT game as well...the viewers watching via affiliates using the "flex feed" dumped out for MIA/PHI leaving those watching on an affiliate using the "constant feed" as the remaining audience.

Fox only has the capability to provide one "flex feed" in each time slot. And, It's (almost) always the "A Game" in each slot that receives the "flex feed". GB/DET was the "A Game" last week. So, if your affiliate had NO/WSH (or any other Fox game, except GB/DET) you were stuck with it to the bitter end as the only feed available was a "constant feed."

From what I gather, Fox only has the capability to cut to one game, which Fox decides before they start, and the swich to game (GB/DET) wasn't at the same point as the NO-WAS game.

Another thing is that your affiliate may have requested the "constant" feed of the game, since WAS is an NFC East Rival. In this scenario, the affiliate is given the same game, no matter if the game is a blowout.

CBS, on the other hand, has the capability to cut to any game they feel is more competitive, but they also follow the "constant feed" -protocol.

Your on the right track. But, Fox can only cut out of one game in each time slot.

WRT to CBS they have more capacity available and as a result are able to have more games with a "flex feed." However, they rarely designate more than two in a time slot...and, really in the grand scheme of things anything more than that on most Sundays is overkill and a waste of transponder space.

first time this year that CBS has had to cut a show form the lineup because of a overrun

Yep. CSI: Cyber won't be shown tonight and Jim Nantz said that the program will be shown next week, when in reality it won't because of a Sinatra/Grammy special. The program will actually return in 2 weeks from tonight.

although I notice that FOX and CBS will switch to a late running game is it to sync up primetime because i remember NBC did it quite a bit in the 90s and CBS would do it too back then

CBS rarely syncs up the network prior to primetime. The only time they sync up is if the late afternoon games end prior to the normally scheduled start of primetime, either 7pm ET or 7:30pm ET...which is pretty rare. However, If your getting a late afternoon game that runs past 7pm ET (or, 7:30pm ET) primetime is delayed in those markets only. In Week 2 (September 20th) this season the ET/CT time zones were split three ways for primetime...Most markets started on time at 7pm ET, Markets that received MIA/JAX started primetime at 7:26pm ET & Markets that received BAL/OAK started primetime at 7:34pm ET.

FOX pretty much takes the opposite approach. They almost always sync up prior to primetime. However, they either use The OT or re-runs in the 7pm ET hour as a buffer.

WRT, Bonus Coverage. The networks do it because they pay a butt load of money for NFL rights and they need to fill the time with something. The alternative is just using the talking heads in the studio to fill time. And, bonus coverage in the late afternoon slot is somewhat rare for a host of reasons. So, it is kind of indirect if/when it is used to sync up the network.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it has happened twice but the Panthers were so good that FOX(outside my area in NC) switched to the Redskins Bears game Sunday because sometimes people on Facebook don't like it when the network switches games I remember one time when the Dolphins were beating a team so badly that NBC(this was when they had the AFC) cut to the Chargers-Chiefs game before Halftime in 1992 they were playing the hapless Colts(before Manning) and it was a 4pm game

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived