TWC cancels Sam Champion's AMHQ

Andrew2016

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/weather-channel-sam-champion/index.html

The Weather Channel is canceling Sam Champion's morning newscast, replacing reality shows with more weather coverage, cutting TV production costs and laying off some staffers in a sweeping adjustment to changes in the cable business.

The channel shared a detailed plan with staffers on Wednesday morning. About 50 of the channel's 1,400 employees will be leaving. That means paring back its original programming investments (shows like "Prospectors" and "Fat Guys in the Woods") and lifestyle coverage. The priority is essential, live weather coverage -- particularly during periods of severe weather -- and local information. A replacement morning show will focus on straight-forward weather storytelling. The company is also prioritizing a localized weather, traffic and news channel it is calling Local Now. It wants to sell the channel to streaming cable-like services like Sling TV."

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/layoffs-programming-changes-at-weather-channel/271433

"The remainder of this memo covers the major changes we are making at The Weather Channel:

Migrate Away from Non-Weather Original Programming.

Refocus Entire Morning to Only Weather.

Prioritize Weather Expertise Over Production.

Market and Program to our Loyal Core Audience.

Streamline HR, Finance, and Communications Support"

Here is some good news:

"We will continue to invest in finding creative ways to explain the weather, but we will no longer greenlight any long-form shows. Over the next year, we expect to add more live hours back to our schedule after airing some great shows currently in development"

It's about damn time they finally realized this! I loved TWC particularly in the late 90's and early 2000's when they had great non-stop weather day-part shows like Your Weather Today, Evening Edition, Overnight outlook, etc. When they introduced above said programs they lost their touch of the weather. Bring back Your Weather Today!

The story I read said Sam is going to work on mainline stories primarily during the evening hours. Stephanie Abrahms is supposed to return to ATL and join AMHQ. Not sure who else will be on AMHQ like Cantore.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/09/09/weather-channels-sam-champion-moving-to-primetime-stephanie-abrams-joining-amhq/

WOW!!! This is GREAT news. They're finally wising up to what their audience obviously wants. It's about damn time.

I like seeing Abrams returning to Atlanta, I just wish they'd put her with Mike Bettes again. I too hope they'll bring back the "Morning Rush" brand. As for Sam, I think he's toast. Primetime specials? He's probably going to leave when his contract is up.

AMHQ is to be cancelled Nov. 2 according to the Capital Weather Gang. Champion will move to prime time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/09/09/reeling-weather-channel-trims-fat-to-focus-on-weather-sam-champion-show-cancelled/

No, the article says quite clearly that AMHQ is not being cancelled; it's just being reworked, and Champion is being pulled from it. I think keeping the AMHQ brand is a mistake, though. They ought to change the name so viewers immediately know that it's a completely different show, one that's focused on just weather.

They're keeping the AMHQ name, but completely changing the format of the show. The "Wake Up With Al" name will be going away with Roker. It's unclear how they're ultimately going to schedule mornings, and what the new AMHQ's time slot will be.

They're keeping the AMHQ name, but completely changing the format of the show. The "Wake Up With Al" name will be going away with Roker. It's unclear how they're ultimately going to schedule mornings, and what the new AMHQ's time slot will be.

From what I read it looks like AMHQ is going to replace WUWA's spot at 5am ET. Like I said anything that'll get me back to watching TWC again is great. When I watch The Weather Channel I watch it for the WEATHER not Reality non-weather related "shows" if I wanted to watch those shows I could turn it over to A&E. Get back to focusing on the weather and I'll return to watching TWC again.

Sam didn't leave GMA for TWC just because of money. At the time, He mentioned how going to TWC/Atlanta would allow him to be closer to his husband in Miami. Not sure if that's still the case or not.

Archived