Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at who can play along, the following conflicts exist if someone wanted to buy stations in all 6 markets affected (if a 2 is indicated, it includes one shell, 3 indicates two shells, etc.):

Sinclair - Conflicts in Nashville (3), Portland (duopoly), Mobile (2 both duopolies) and Greenville-Spartanburg (2)

Nexstar - No conflicts, but likely all out of their size range

Gray - No conflicts, but likely all out of their size range

Scripps - Conflicts in Nashville

Hearst - Conflicts in Greenville-Spartanburg

Tegna - Conflicts in Portland

Tribune - Conflicts in Hartford-New Haven (duopoly), owns in Portland but can legally acquire

Cox - No conflicts, but they don't seem to be expanding

Raycom - No conflicts

Man, didn't see this coming- of course, the story breaks just after I leave for the school bus. Meredith Media General? That's just awkward. And concerning Portland, I could see Tribune making a play for KOIN- as for Hartford, they'd be crazy to sell WFSB.

Call me crazy for these predictions but...

Portland: MMG keeps KOIN/KPDX, KPTV goes to Cox

Hartford: MMG keeps WFSB, WTNH/WCTX goes to Scripps or Raycom

Nashville: MMG keeps WSMV, WKRN goes to Raycom, TEGNA or Nexstar

Greenville: MMG keeps WSPA/WYCW, WHNS goes to Raycom

Mobile: MMG keeps WALA/WFNA, WKRG to Raycom or TEGNA

Springfield is really anyone's guess

I don't think a single buyer will emerge, but some markets are clear and some are difficult to predict. That was the same situation with LIN-MG when there were clear signals and conflicting factors.

Greenville-Spartanburg: This one is about as clear cut as it gets, WSPA is almost certainly staying put (along with WYCW) and WHNS is almost certainly for sale. I believe WSPA is 2nd in the market and WHNS is 4th.

Hartford-New Haven: Likewise, good consensus on WFSB staying as the strong market leader, while WTNH is generally 3rd or 4th in the market with a solid niche in the south and almost invisible in the north. WCTX could either be along for the ride or could be split back to WFSB.

Mobile: This undoes the 2014 purchase, and Mobile is back on the market. WALA was sold once, so there is little reason to believe it won't be sold again. Although some have suggested reuniting WALA and WFNA, I would think the CBS affiliation is more valuable. I believe WKRG is the market leader and WALA is a close 2nd.

Nashville: I believe WSMV is 2nd in the market and WKRN is 3rd. That alone suggests that WSMV should stay and WKRN should go as there are no duopolies or affiliation issues that could be wildcards.

Portland: Difficult one here. I'm not that familiar with ratings here, but I believe KOIN is 2nd and KPTV 4th? However, KPTV has a duopoly with KPDX which is entrenched, and KOIN is all alone. There are cases for both, but as we seem to agree, Tribune would be crazy to pass up here and they can only take KOIN, not KPTV/KPDX.

Springfield: Another tossup with critical factors. WWLP is the market leader and is the master control for WPRI/WNAC. However, Western Mass News with WGGB/WSHM involved a lot of work and is now entrenched with WFSB, which is almost certainly staying put. WSHM is staying put regardless most likely, as it doesn't count against anything. Unless there are side deals up their sleeve...

Portland: MMG keeps KPTV/KPDX, KOIN creates duopoly w/ KRCW with Tribune) Cox or Scripps

Hartford: MMG keeps WFSB, WTNH/WCTX goes to Hearst

Nashville: MMG keeps WSMV, WKRN goes to Raycom,

Greenville: MMG keeps WSPA/WYCW, WHNS goes to Raycom

Mobile: MMG keeps WALA/WFNA, WKRG to Raycom

Springfield Sinclair or Gray

I don't think a single buyer will emerge, but some markets are clear and some are difficult to predict. That was the same situation with LIN-MG when there were clear signals and conflicting factors.

Greenville-Spartanburg: This one is about as clear cut as it gets, WSPA is almost certainly staying put (along with WYCW) and WHNS is almost certainly for sale. I believe WSPA is 2nd in the market and WHNS is 4th.

Hartford-New Haven: Likewise, good consensus on WFSB staying as the strong market leader, while WTNH is generally 3rd or 4th in the market with a solid niche in the south and almost invisible in the north. WCTX could either be along for the ride or could be split back to WFSB.

Mobile: This undoes the 2014 purchase, and Mobile is back on the market. WALA was sold once, so there is little reason to believe it won't be sold again. Although some have suggested reuniting WALA and WFNA, I would think the CBS affiliation is more valuable. I believe WKRG is the market leader and WALA is a close 2nd.

Nashville: I believe WSMV is 2nd in the market and WKRN is 3rd. That alone suggests that WSMV should stay and WKRN should go as there are no duopolies or affiliation issues that could be wildcards.

Portland: Difficult one here. I'm not that familiar with ratings here, but I believe KOIN is 2nd and KPTV 4th? However, KPTV has a duopoly with KPDX which is entrenched, and KOIN is all alone. There are cases for both, but as we seem to agree, Tribune would be crazy to pass up here and they can only take KOIN, not KPTV/KPDX.

Springfield: Another tossup with critical factors. WWLP is the market leader and is the master control for WPRI/WNAC. However, Western Mass News with WGGB/WSHM involved a lot of work and is now entrenched with WFSB, which is almost certainly staying put. WSHM is staying put regardless most likely, as it doesn't count against anything. Unless there are side deals up their sleeve...

In Mobile- I guess your right I always thought WALA was ahead of WKRG here this ratings report from Feb/15..It looks like KRG tops in HH but ALA is tops in demos.

http://lagniappemobile.com/wkrg-posts-strong-february-sweeps/

Portland- KGW tops but I thought it was a three way-tie with 2,6,12 and in between times 12 ahead of 2 &6 but here one report from 5 yrs ago. Of course we know things can change.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/market-profile-portland-ore-115176

Well...the first link is a press release direct from the company, so...

Interested in which company lands whichever station Meredith/MG decides to shed. I'm with GoldenShine in saying that they unload WHNS since they'll likely want to hold on to WSPA (CBS affiliate and the #1 station in the market).

That and the fact WSPA is already in a duopoly with WYCW.

We should move most of the speculative posts to Speculatron9000...like this one:

Greenville-Spartanburg: MG keeps WSPA, WHNS gets sold off to Raycom.

Hartford-New Haven: MG keeps WFSB, WTNH/WCTX duopoly gets sold off to either Cox or Hearst(leaning towards Hearst).

Nashville: MG keeps WKRN, WSMV gets sold off to one of these four; Raycom, Tegna, Sinclair, or Cox.

Mobile/Pensacola: MG keeps WKRG and pairs it with WFNA, WALA gets sold off to Raycom, but could see either Gray or Sinclair make a play.

Portland: MG keeps KOIN, KPDX and KPTV are sold off, to whom I'm not certain. Maybe Cox gets in on this.

Springfield: MG keeps WGGB and WSMH, WWLP gets sold off to Hearst.

Lacy will be the combined company's third CEO in as many years (George Mahoney was the CEO from 2013 until the LIN merger, LIN's CEO Vincent Sadusky took that job from him after that and will leave it after this merger is done). How often does that happen?

Lacy will be the combined company's third CEO in as many years (George Mahoney was the CEO from 2013 until the LIN merger, LIN's CEO Vincent Sadusky took that job from him after that and will leave it after this merger is done). How often does that happen?

Hmmm Vincent Sadusky is leaving after the merger. Isn't Vincent Sadusky like the Barbara Walters of broadcasting CEOs?

I would think that a company that has no conflicts, like Raycom or Cox, will be pressured to take the whole group and not just the pieces they want. I'm pretty sure MMG doesn't want to do 3 or 4 transactions to get rid of the conflicting stations.

I would think that a company that has no conflicts, like Raycom or Cox, will be pressured to take the whole group and not just the pieces they want. I'm pretty sure MMG doesn't want to do 3 or 4 transactions to get rid of the conflicting stations.

The problem is that they may not want all of the stations. Raycom has no assets in the Northeast, for example, and they don't seem to be wanting to make a play there.

Gray and Nexstar I don't think are in play as they are beyond their size range for the most part. Except for Springfield, they are all top-60 markets (mostly top-40), and Springfield is pretty much a sub-market of Hartford anyway so they should be going together.

The DMA rankings:

Portland - #24

Nashville - #29

Hartford-New Haven - #30

Greenville-Spartanburg - #37

Mobile - #58

Springfield - #116

Neither Media General nor Meredith own any newspapers, correct?

While neither company owns newspapers, Meredith owns several magazine brands which will likely be kept and not spun off into its own company.

WSMV is likely going to be kept by the merged Meredith/Media General while WKRN gets sold. Nashville is a hot market right now, so I would probably expect a Hearst, Tribune, Cox or TEGNA to step in to acquire the station.

Mobile is kinda tricky. For certain, they are going to keep WKRG and sell WALA. I'm not even going to hold my breath on suggesting Raycom get the station because they had three opportunities to get a station there when WALA was being sold twice (first to Lin, and then to Meredith), and WPMI/WJTC were on the auction block (sold to Sinclair). It's probably either going to Nexstar or be used as trade bait.

Either KOIN or KPTV is likely going to Cox or Tribune since those are the only two companies that I see could want to grow their presence in the Pacific Northwest.

I feel like Hearst would target Hartford/Springfield. They haven't shown an aversion to buying...and it really complements their other New England stations. Yes, Springfield is small...but it just fits...

This definitely won't be a group selloff though.

My guesses as to what they jettison and who buys:

WTNH -> Hearst? Scripps?

WKRN -> Tegna? Raycom?

WHNS -> Raycom?

WALA -> Raycom?

Springfield and Portland are two markets where I can't really make a guess either way. As I understand it, WWLP is the ratings leader but they could value WSHM/WGGB more because of the duopoly (hence why WPRI/WNAC were kept over WJAR)

It's almost certain that WKRN and WTNH are toast as far as their time with (M)MG goes IMO.

I would guess Tribune could be a player for whatever they sell in Portland...and Gray/Nexstar/Sinclair could be player for whatever they sell in Springfield.

Who knows really...I don't think anyone saw this deal coming and certain groups have shown a willingness to buy in bigger (or smaller) markets. Nexstar has, unfortunately, bought in bigger markets and I don't think anyone saw the (then-)Gannett/London deal coming.

Swaps, of course, could happen but it seems like most companies would prefer to grow if possible.

There is one difference between WGGB/WSHM and WPRI/WNAC. The Providence duo was a grandfathered LMA that could not be broken up or they would run into legal trouble with the FCC. In the Springfield case, they are a full-power and a legally owned low-power, so WSHM can (and likely will) be kept no matter what.

The key unknown is do they want to break up Western Mass News? Also they would have to move the WPRI/WNAC master control if WWLP is sold.

I think they don't have much of a choice to keep WSPA because of the existing LMA with WYCW. It is funny that the same company that broke up the WALA/WFNA duopoly because of its purchase of LIN is once again faced with the choice of dumping WALA off to someone else or alternately, making WFNA its sister station again. Also ironic, Media General sold off its newspapers a few years ago, and this acquisition also puts MG back in the publishing game since Meredith's magazines are part of the deal.

I think they don't have much of a choice to keep WSPA because of the existing LMA with WYCW. It is funny that the same company that broke up the WALA/WFNA duopoly because of its purchase of LIN is once again faced with the choice of dumping WALA off to someone else or alternately, making WFNA its sister station again. Also ironic, Media General sold off its newspapers a few years ago, and this acquisition also puts MG back in the publishing game since Meredith's magazines are part of the deal.

Magazines are on slightly less shaky ground than newspapers are.

My best guess on the overlaps:

Portland - Keeps KOIN, sells KPTV

Nashville - Keeps WSMV, sells WKRN

Hartford - Keeps WFSB, sells WTNH

Greenville - Keeps WSPA, sells WHNS

Mobile - Keeps WKRG, sells WALA - again!

Springfield - Keeps WGGB, sells WWLP

I think Hearst would be frontrunner for WKRN, WTNH and WWLP as they all fit very well in their portfolio. Raycom could complete networks with WHNS and WALA. As for KPTV, that's a tough one. Tribune would be the first in my mind, but they are over the cap already. Sinclair and Tegna are already in the market.

I got one for KPTV, COX Media Group?

Archived