Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here some Media General / Nexstar news for the morning.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/nexstar-takeover-talks-media-general-impasse-1201662017/

I'm thinking now that no matter how desperate Perry Sook is they aren't budging. Money may not be a factor as much as control over the stations and fear that the crown jewels will suffer.

Here some Media General / Nexstar news for the morning.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/nexstar-takeover-talks-media-general-impasse-1201662017/

I'm thinking now that no matter how desperate Perry Sook is they aren't budging. Money may not be a factor as much as control over the stations and fear that the crown jewels will suffer.
And you know Nexstar has a reputation for cheapness when even Media General calls them out on it when they expressed their disappointment that, among other things, “Rather than improving its initial August 10, 2015, proposal of $17.00 per share based on our joint synergy work and to reflect the improved valuations in the media and TV broadcasting sectors since August 2015, Nexstar continues to reiterate its current proposal that reflects a discount to its August 10, 2015 proposal which was unanimously rejected by the Media General board of directors at the time". Basically, Media General knows that not only will their crown jewels suffer if Nexstar takes over, the share price will be cheapened as well.

I think money may not be a factor; perhaps MG realizes what they would lose?

Don't kid yourself money is a factor.

But, control and ego are at play here as well. Based on everything that has happened to date it appears that Soohyung Kim, MG's Largest Shareholder, isn't ready to relinquish control and cash in on his investment yet. It's going to take a large(er) pile of money for him to throw in the towel and cash in. I'm too lazy to re-write everything but, this previous post explains further. It also includes links to articles providing further background on Mr. Kim.

And, quite frankly a deal isn't going to be made or broken based on some perceived status some TVNTers think certain stations may hold. The belief that MG won't sell because they want to "protect" certain stations/assets is something that only exists here. If Nexstar (or, any other party) plops down enough money MG will gladly turn over the keys.

Go home Nexstar.....you're drunk.

Investors aside, IMHO the Media General / Meredith deal is much better for the viewers and employees than the Nexstar deal.

Like I said before, if Nexstar loses this round, expect them to aggressively pursue the leftovers in conflict markets and throw wads of cash at anything they can get their hands on. Dispatch, Capitol, and other holdouts may be a thing of the past if Nexstar gets their way.

Investors aside, IMHO the Media General / Meredith deal is much better for the viewers and employees than the Nexstar deal.

Like I said before, if Nexstar loses this round, expect them to aggressively pursue the leftovers in conflict markets and throw wads of cash at anything they can get their hands on. Dispatch, Capitol, and other holdouts may be a thing of the past if Nexstar gets their way.

Hahaha! That's really funny. And yes, it would be a lot better if the MG/Meredith deal went through or if no deal went through at all.

I get this idea that Nexstar (especially Perry Sook) is really desperate about localism that they're trying to buy Media General and "divest" them into LMAs owned by their side cars. At least their website URLs are honest about their shared services agreements like, say for example, you search wyou.com or wbre.com, it will redirect into pahomepage.com, reflecting not only the locality, but also the honesty that most other broadcasters who do this don't have.

One more thing, Nextstar rarely subchannels...
I've also noted that neither have minority-owned stations before they were being bought. Although, even then, some of them had subchannels, so why not Nexstar?

I'm sure that with the upcoming spectrum auctions, sub channels are part of their future MISSION, if you catch my drift.

Not to mention that Perry Sook thinks of Nexstar as the "WHITE KNIGHT" even though most people in broadcasting don't, if you get what I mean.

I'm sure that with the upcoming spectrum auctions, sub channels are part of their future MISSION, if you catch my drift.

Not to mention that Perry Sook thinks of Nexstar as the "WHITE KNIGHT" even though most people in broadcasting don't, if you get what I mean.

Nexstar is wasting space by not subchanneling, most people in Baton Rouge can get our Me/H&I and Antenna affiliates because they dont have it. 4 of their stations are owned or joint owned by Nexstar

Nexstar is wasting space by not subchanneling, most people in Baton Rouge can get our Me/H&I and Antenna affiliates because they dont have it. 4 of their stations are owned or joint owned by Nexstar

They don't see it as that though. They see subchannels as a waste. And by the way, how often does anyone watch subchannels?

Archived