Nielsen released 2015-16 DMA Rankings.

CircleSeven

WOFL is in a duopoly with WRBW, which would limit Fox's desire to trade it. Of course KCPQ is in one with KZJO...
Not to mention that in order for KCPQ and KZJO to be an even trade, not only would it have to involve WPWR, but KDFI as well, and there's a chance that Fox will buy both KCPQ and KZJO (and possibly change the callsigns of both stations) without trade deals.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the rams indeed leave St Louis, then that could give Fox a little headroom under the cap in order to purchase KCPQ and WITI. Let's not forget that Fox does have stations that it could trade to Tribune. Fox could get KCPQ and WITI, while tribune gets WOFL, and KTBC. True, Orlando and Austin are good secondary markets for the Bucks and the Cowboys respectively, KCPQ and WITI probably reel up just as much, if not more money because they are in the primary markets of the Packers and Seahawks, so I could see Fox selling Orlando and Austin sometime in the future...

What about New Orleans? You think Fox will go after WVUE or WGNO/WNOL?

That depends if Tom Benson wants to cash out. If Tom Benson puts WVUE for sale, I would expect that either Raycom or Fox would make bids to purchase it.

There wouldn't be a point in this because Raycom would just take it outright, because of the SSA agreement. If Tom was to sell it, Raycom would already take the station. FOX wouldn't have a chance on it.

WOFL is in a duopoly with WRBW, which would limit Fox's desire to trade it. Of course KCPQ is in one with KZJO...

I could see WOFL and WRBW going to Tribune, while KCPQ and KZJO would go to Fox, that's if Tribune doesn't play hardball again like they did last year. I bet that if Fox would buy back WITI, they would probably want a duopoly as well, maybe they could snatch WVTV or WCGV from Sinclair?

Las Vegas grew to #40 from #41 and Austin, while it stays at #39, grew from 729,300 to 745,640, which means that if it keeps growing at this rate, then it may as well climb to around #37 in a few years, if not sooner. Also, I think that within 5 years, there is a chance that DFW will grow to where it becomes #4 and, as I mentioned earlier, if it does happen, ABC may want to own a station, more than likely WFAA, and buy it from TEGNA, and considering how all the networks own stations in all the top 6 markets, except ABC, which doesn't own any station in the Metroplex, it's possible that could actually happen.

How Ohio stacks up heading into 2016

• Cleveland is up 1 to #18
  • Columbus up a slot to #31 this year from #32 last year.
  • Cincinnati still at #36
  • Toledo drops to #77 from #76 last year.
  • Dayton stays at #64
  • Youngstown is #114 which is down 1 from last year
  • Lima stays at #188
  • Zanesville which I don't know why it isn't lumped in with Columbus, Probally because of WHIZ is still #204

Markets that serve Ohio Counties

• Wheeling WV is at #157 Same as last year
  • Huntington- Charleston, WV is at #67 dropping 1 spot from last year.

Here why I say going into 2016. We will hear NONSTOP about the Presidential elections AKA one of the curses of living in Ohio. Some areas will hear those annoying campaign ads more then other because of bang for the buck.

Not to mention that in order for KCPQ and KZJO to be an even trade, not only would it have to involve WPWR, but KDFI as well, and there's a chance that Fox will buy both KCPQ and KZJO (and possibly change the callsigns of both stations) without trade deals.

KDFI? Why would KDFI have any role in this?

Las Vegas grew to #40 from #41 and Austin, while it stays at #39, grew from 729,300 to 745,640, which means that if it keeps growing at this rate, then it may as well climb to around #37 in a few years, if not sooner. Also, I think that within 5 years, there is a chance that DFW will grow to where it becomes #4 and, as I mentioned earlier, if it does happen, ABC may want to own a station, more than likely WFAA, and buy it from TEGNA, and considering how all the networks own stations in all the top 6 markets, except ABC, which doesn't own any station in the Metroplex, it's possible that could actually happen.

NO! ABC doesn't want anymore stations in their fold. We all thought WJLA would become an ABC O&O. It been said Disney wants out of the tv news business. Gannett/TEGNA has a big hold in many TEXAS markets. I don't see it. If ABC said were selling our news division stations (which they make a ton of $$$$ on btw) Sinclair would be like a little puppy dog with it tongue out salivating.

Remember Gannett said they had to jump while they could for Belo, because Sinclair wanted Belo stations as well. Could you see Sinclair in Houston, DFW, Austin & of course San Antonio (Sinclair would own NBC/FOX & Deerfield Media would own KENS...) I'm just saying if Sinclair did get Belo Stations before Gannett did a few years back.

KDFI? Why would KDFI have any role in this?

For that matter, what does WPWR have to do with it?

NO! ABC doesn't want anymore stations in their fold. We all thought WJLA would become an ABC O&O. It been said Disney wants out of the tv news business. Gannett/TEGNA has a big hold in many TEXAS markets. I don't see it. If ABC said were selling our news division stations (which they make a ton of $$$$ on btw) Sinclair would be like a little puppy dog with it tongue out salivating.

Remember Gannett said they had to jump while they could for Belo, because Sinclair wanted Belo stations as well. Could you see Sinclair in Houston, DFW, Austin & of course San Antonio (Sinclair would own NBC/FOX & Deerfield Media would own KENS...) I'm just saying if Sinclair did get Belo Stations before Gannett did a few years back.

If Disney is thinking about selling it's ABC O&Os why don't they just sell the ABC TV Network altogether?

Now that I think about it, I can see ABC keeping their stations for a long while, especially considering that they own 4 TV stations in each of the top 4 DMAs. If they were to sell any stations however, Scripps would be happy to buy KTRK and WTVD. But why doesn't ABC want to own anymore stations even though it actually could?

If Disney is thinking about selling it's ABC O&Os why don't they just sell the ABC TV Network altogether?
I don't think they'll sell the network altogether. They might as well keep it because they have a history together dating as far back as the 50s and, to a lesser extent, even now.

I think they'll do because to me if Disney is trying to sell the Network-owned stations, in my opinion that gives me an indication they want to get out of the broadcast TV stations. Yes their relationship between Disney and ABC goes all the way back to the 50s but there again the rumors of Disney wanting to sell it's O&Os is giving me an indication they want to sell ABC altogether.

I highly doubt that Fox would sell WPWR. WPWR doesn't make sense because both KCPQ and WOFL are duopolies, so that means that both Tribune and Fox would get 2 stations each. Fox gets Seattle, and Tribune gets Orlando. Maybe if Fox were to snatch up WITI and if Tribune wanted more than KTBC, then maybe they could talk about WPWR.

I highly doubt that Fox would sell WPWR. WPWR doesn't make sense because both KCPQ and WOFL are duopolies, so that means that both Tribune and Fox would get 2 stations each. Fox gets Seattle, and Tribune gets Orlando. Maybe if Fox were to snatch up WITI and if Tribune wanted more than KTBC, then maybe they could talk about WPWR.

In my opinion I see KCPQ/KZJO and WITI to Fox for KTBC in Austin and WOFL/WRBW in Orlando. But at the same time I have a hard time seeing Fox giving up KTBC given the fact they help cover State Capital news for KDFW and KRIV rather than sending one of the stations all the way to Austin to cover State Capital news.

I think they'll do because to me if Disney is trying to sell the Network-owned stations, in my opinion that gives me an indication they want to get out of the broadcast TV stations. Yes their relationship between Disney and ABC goes all the way back to the 50s but there again the rumors of Disney wanting to sell it's O&Os is giving me an indication they want to sell ABC altogether.
To me, Disney selling their stations just doesn't make strategic sense because they get a lot of revenue out of them, not to mention they have really strong news departments for their stations.

Because Fox was considering trading the KCPQ/KZJO duopoly with WPWR so that they could get more revenue from Seahawks games.

And whenever I hear about Fox trying to buy a station in Seattle, this is what I think of:

In my opinion I see KCPQ/KZJO and WITI to Fox for KTBC in Austin and WOFL/WRBW in Orlando. But at the same time I have a hard time seeing Fox giving up KTBC given the fact they help cover State Capital news for KDFW and KRIV rather than sending one of the stations all the way to Austin to cover State Capital news.

Let's not forget that Fox probably had a hard time giving up WFXT because it is in a top 10 market, and Fox still regrets selling the local TV stations 7 years ago, so if Fox can do that, then I think they should still be willing to and would most likely have to sell Austin in order to get back into Milwaukee within the next few years.

To me, Disney selling their stations just doesn't make strategic sense because they get a lot of revenue out of them, not to mention they have really strong news departments for their stations.

Disney's first focus is as an entertainment company (theme parks, movies, television production, sports, etc), which is why they acquired ABC and several other companies/brands of value in the first place over the years. Taking in the O&O stations was just a small condition of their merger with CapCities and nothing more. If I were to take a guess, the non-entertainment assets of ABC (i.e., ABC News) are somewhat low-priority investments in terms of pecking order even with the strides the news division has been making ratings-wise, and the O&Os are essentially left to their own devices (though the company may throw in a bone from time to time).

Disney's first focus is as an entertainment company (theme parks, movies, television production, sports, etc), which is why they acquired ABC and several other companies/brands of value in the first place over the years. Taking in the O&O stations was just a small condition of their merger with CapCities and nothing more. If I were to take a guess, the non-entertainment assets of ABC (i.e., ABC News) are somewhat low-priority investments in terms of pecking order even with the strides the news division has been making ratings-wise, and the O&Os are essentially left to their own devices (though the company may throw in a bone from time to time).

I would agree.... What's this connection that's bandied about between them since the 50's? As far I've ever known prior to 1996 there wasn't much of one...

Fox Owned and operated and NFC Conference Package are:

WTVT (Fox/21st Century Fox) Tampa-St. Petersburg with 1,859,820. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -NFC

KSAZ (Fox/21st Century Fox) Phoenix dropping to 12 (1,848,850) The Arizona Cardinals NFC

WJBK (Fox/21st Century Fox) Detroit to 13 (1,828,230).

WOFL (FOX) Orlando Florida’s theme park capital slipped to 19 (1,489,710).

Fox -affiliate are:

WFXT is owned by Cox Media Group No. 8 with 2,411,250. New England Patriots-AFC

WJW (Tribune) Cleveland Ohio home of the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame moving up to 18 (1,493,160) - Browns AFC

Well Tribune and Fox Televison Swap station again. Fox will Take Seattle (KPCQ/KJZO, Seahawks NFC) exchange for Houston (Texans are AFC, Put MyNetwork TV on Channel 39.4 on Sub Channel), Orlando, Gainsville/Ocala, FL or Austin Texas? You Be Judge!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fox Owned and operated and NFC Conference Package are:

WTVT (Fox/21st Century Fox) Tampa-St. Petersburg with 1,859,820. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -NFC

KSAZ (Fox/21st Century Fox) Phoenix dropping to 12 (1,848,850) The Arizona Cardinals NFC

WJBK (Fox/21st Century Fox) Detroit to 13 (1,828,230).

WOFL (FOX) Orlando Florida’s theme park capital slipped to 19 (1,489,710).

Fox -affiliate are:

WFXT is owned by Cox Media Group No. 8 with 2,411,250. New England Patriots-AFC

WJW (Tribune) Cleveland Ohio home of the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame moving up to 18 (1,493,160) - Browns AFC

Well Tribune and Fox Televison Swap station again. Fox will Take Seattle (KPCQ/KJZO, Seahawks NFC) exchange for Houston (Texans are AFC, Put MyNetwork TV on Channel 39.4 on Sub Channel), Orlando, Gainsville/Ocala, FL or Austin Texas? You Be Judge!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why would they want an AFC market?

Archived