Nielsen released 2015-16 DMA Rankings.

CircleSeven

The fact that people are moving out of Detroit proper, and to a lesser extent, leaving the Detroit DMA might have something to do with that.

The thing is that moving out of Detroit proper affects nothing. A few left the DMA... About 4000 TV homes. It's not that the Detroit market has shrunk so much as all these Sun Belt places have exploded and overtaken us...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Nashville continues to grow, it lost more than 12,000 TV households over the last year (part of it may be due to people cutting the cord as of late) and yet remains ranked at 29th.

Other observations:

- Memphis remains at 50 (but will likely fall out of the top 50 next year)

- Knoxville dropped a spot to 62nd behind Ft Myers

- Chattanooga remains 88th

- The Tri-Cities (TN & VA) remain 97th

- Jackson (TN) remains 176th

- Jonesboro remains 181st.

I wonder if Fox will try and get back into St Louis or Milwaukee at some point...

St. Louis it depends on what happens to the future of the Rams because Rams owner Stan Kroenke is proposing an 80,000 seat stadium (and a 6,000 seat performance venue) across the street from The Forum in Inglewood (a suburb of Los Angeles) and he wants to move the Rams to LA and into his stadium in Inglewood. IF and I mean a big IF the NFL tells Stan that he can't move the Rams and they vote in favor of the Carson proposal (which involves the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers) which means the Rams stay in St. Louis I might see Fox going after KTVI but I think the duopoly of KTVI/KPLR having their own news departments is what's hurting the chance of re entering the St. Louis market.

Milwaukee I don't think Tribune is interested in selling WITI. If they want to buy a Tribune owned Fox station in the future I would look at buying KCPQ/KZJO in Seattle for the same reasons why they bought WJZY/WMYT in Charlotte.

Even though Nashville continues to grow, it lost more than 12,000 TV households over the last year (part of it may be due to people cutting the cord as of late) and yet remains ranked at 29th.

Other observations:

- Memphis remains at 50 (but will likely fall out of the top 50 next year)

- Knoxville dropped a spot to 62nd behind Ft Myers

- Chattanooga remains 88th

- The Tri-Cities (TN & VA) remain 97th

- Jackson (TN) remains 176th

- Jonesboro remains 181st.

You're exactly right people are cutting the cord in favor of Netflix, Hulu, etc. So that's why you're seeing places like KC losing TV households.

St. Louis it depends on what happens to the future of the Rams because Rams owner Stan Kroenke is proposing an 80,000 seat stadium (and a 6,000 seat performance venue) across the street from The Forum in Inglewood (a suburb of Los Angeles) and he wants to move the Rams to LA and into his stadium in Inglewood. IF and I mean a big IF the NFL tells Stan that he can't move the Rams and they vote in favor of the Carson proposal (which involves the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers) which means the Rams stay in St. Louis I might see Fox going after KTVI but I think the duopoly of KTVI/KPLR having their own news departments is what's hurting the chance of re entering the St. Louis market.

Milwaukee I don't think Tribune is interested in selling WITI. If they want to buy a Tribune owned Fox station in the future I would look at buying KCPQ/KZJO in Seattle for the same reasons why they bought WJZY/WMYT in Charlotte.

You're probably right, but who knows? I still wouldn't be surprised if Fox tried to snatch up Seattle, St Louis, or even Milwaukee when Tribune tries to renew the Fox Affiliations in 2018.

- Richmond/Petersburg - my home market - is up one notch (from 57 to 56; a measly +0.1%). Thank goodness.

- Meanwhile down I-64 East; Hampton Roads still stuck at 42 (-1.24%).

- Roanoke: Wow! From 67 to 69 (-1.64%). What's going on there? I'll be shocked if they go to 70.

- Harrisonburg and Charlottesville: Still at 178 (5th year; -0.74%) and 183 (6th year; -2.03%!), respectively.

http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/

You can go down into the list and view each state or DMA and which counties are included. I don't know if there are any counties that are in 2 DMAs.

Just a heads up: those maps haven't been updated since 2006, so they may not help much in determining where those fringe counties have landed this year.

Guest Former Member 207
http://www.dishuser.org/TVMarkets/

You can go down into the list and view each state or DMA and which counties are included. I don't know if there are any counties that are in 2 DMAs.

Riverside County in Southern California is split between the Los Angeles and Palm Springs DMAs. The western portion is tied to L.A., while the central part (and perhaps some of the far-eastern part of Riverside County) is its own DMA--Palm Springs.

At one point, Riverside County split was into three DMAs--L.A., Palm Springs, and Phoenix. We all know that the Phoenix TV stations have satellite/translator stations throughout central and northern Arizona, and since the Colorado River is the boundary line between Arizona and California, those communities in far-eastern Riverside County near that border got TV from the Valley of the Sun instead of from La-la-land.

You're probably right, but who knows? I still wouldn't be surprised if Fox tried to snatch up Seattle, St Louis, or even Milwaukee when Tribune tries to renew the Fox Affiliations in 2018.

Yeah and by the time 2018 comes St. Louis may not have the Rams. It all depends on what the 32 NFL Owners have to say about this NFL Los Angeles issue Will the league allow Stan Kroenke to move the Rams back to LA? We'll see about one. Seattle and Milwaukee I could see that but because of he Rams being one of the 3 teams rumored to move to LA (the other 2 are the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers) I'm neutral about Fox re entering the St. Louis market. What I mean by neutral it's where Fox should reacquire KTVI but at the same time what happens to the future of the NFL in St. Louis? I'm also hearing rumors that the Jacksonville Jaguars (an AFC team) might be the Rams' replacement in t. Louis and if that happens you can kiss any possibility of Fox re entering the St. Louis Market, goodbye.

I only ask about split DMA's because here in Maryland Anne Arundel and Howard Counties cable and satellite subscribers get both Baltimore and Washington stations.

That's a leftover of the fact that both are bedroom communities for both cities, though both are in the Baltimore market. When I was living for a couple of semesters in Ellicott City, Howard County Cablevision was dropping some of the "fringe" DC stations "that nobody watched" - 14 (WOOK?), 50 (WFTY), 53 (WNVC), and 32 (WHUT). The only one that interested me at the time was WFTY...

I'm pretty sure there is a "gentlemans' agreement" between the DC and Baltimore stations not to fight to get the other kicked off cable in the Suburbs. In the cities, proper, yes (WBAL was on DC cable for years), and I believe WRC was on Baltimore cable for a while.

That's a leftover of the fact that both are bedroom communities for both cities, though both are in the Baltimore market. When I was living for a couple of semesters in Ellicott City, Howard County Cablevision was dropping some of the "fringe" DC stations "that nobody watched" - 14 (WOOK?), 50 (WFTY), 53 (WNVC), and 32 (WHUT). The only one that interested me at the time was WFTY...

I'm pretty sure there is a "gentlemans' agreement" between the DC and Baltimore stations not to fight to get the other kicked off cable in the Suburbs. In the cities, proper, yes (WBAL was on DC cable for years), and I believe WRC was on Baltimore cable for a while.

Alright. Thanks for the info. I'm a Comcast subscriber in Baltimore County and they pipe in WETA and WHUT.

Edit: After a quick google it appears that WRC, WUSA and WJLA are significantly viewed stations and that's why they're carried in Anne Arundel and Howard Counties. I know WBFF tried to flex their muscle to kick WTTG off the system but I'm not sure if they were successful.

I think when the rules for out of market changed (as did PBS rules), WHUT made it back in the lineup. Back in the 80s, it was heavily focused on DC and Howard University (not much PBS programming), and (believed to be) not relevant to the suburbs. Times have changed, and so has WHUT and cable TV.

Jim

Yeah and by the time 2018 comes St. Louis may not have the Rams. It all depends on what the 32 NFL Owners have to say about this NFL Los Angeles issue Will the league allow Stan Kroenke to move the Rams back to LA? We'll see about one. Seattle and Milwaukee I could see that but because of he Rams being one of the 3 teams rumored to move to LA (the other 2 are the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers) I'm neutral about Fox re entering the St. Louis market. What I mean by neutral it's where Fox should reacquire KTVI but at the same time what happens to the future of the NFL in St. Louis? I'm also hearing rumors that the Jacksonville Jaguars (an AFC team) might be the Rams' replacement in t. Louis and if that happens you can kiss any possibility of Fox re entering the St. Louis Market, goodbye.

If the rams indeed leave St Louis, then that could give Fox a little headroom under the cap in order to purchase KCPQ and WITI. Let's not forget that Fox does have stations that it could trade to Tribune. Fox could get KCPQ and WITI, while tribune gets WOFL, and KTBC. True, Orlando and Austin are good secondary markets for the Bucks and the Cowboys respectively, KCPQ and WITI probably reel up just as much, if not more money because they are in the primary markets of the Packers and Seahawks, so I could see Fox selling Orlando and Austin sometime in the future...

Archived