TWC Cancelling Al Roker's AM Show

alex979

In a surprising move, The Weather Channel is cancelling "Wake Up With Al," which airs 5-7 AM ET from Rockefeller Center in New York. This is likely due to production costs, since it's the only the show on the network that doesn't originate from the Atlanta headquarters. TWC might be looking for a different role for Roker, but that won't be easy with his Today duties. It's not clear what his co-host, Stephanie Abrams, will be doing, or what will replace the show. Hopefully this means TWC is going to clean up the AM lineup, because it's currently unwatchable IMO. I personally can't stand AMHQ with Champion and Cantore, but I can't see them going anywhere soon.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-cancels-al-rokers-wake-up-with-al/271007

In a surprising move, The Weather Channel is cancelling "Wake Up With Al," which airs 5-7 AM ET from Rockefeller Center in New York. This is likely due to production costs, since it's the only the show on the network that doesn't originate from the Atlanta headquarters. TWC might be looking for a different role for Roker, but that won't be easy with his Today duties. It's not clear what his co-host, Stephanie Abrams, will be doing, or what will replace the show. Hopefully this means TWC is going to clean up the AM lineup, because it's currently unwatchable IMO. I personally can't stand AMHQ with Champion and Cantore, but I can't see them going anywhere soon.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-cancels-al-rokers-wake-up-with-al/271007

This is really depressing. The Weather Channel is going to hell in a hand-basket.

The most depressing part of that article to me was that Vivian Brown, who has been there for almost 30 years, left the network today. I was hoping that she just decided to retire or move on to something else, but the fact that she called it a "great disappointment" on-air suggests TWC pushed her out. They've done that to veteran meteorologists before, and they're often replaced with far inferior "personalities."

Frankly, I don't mind WUWA getting axed. Their morning shows are awful.

Also, this really adds fuel to the "NBC is selling its stake in TWC" fire.

The most depressing part of that article to me was that Vivian Brown, who has been there for almost 30 years, left the network today. I was hoping that she just decided to retire or move on to something else, but the fact that she called it a "great disappointment" on-air suggests TWC pushed her out. They've done that to veteran meteorologists before, and they're often replaced with far inferior "personalities."

Frankly, I don't mind WUWA getting axed. Their morning shows are awful.

Also, this really adds fuel to the "NBC is selling its stake in TWC" fire.

That's not surprising and I also think this only fuels the rumors that NBC wants to sell their stake in The Weather Channel. I rarely watch TWC anymore. I used to when I was growing up but when NBC bought part of TWC that's when it started going downhill and its only been worse from here. Btw if it's true that TWC forced Vivian Brown out of TWC how many other veteran meteorologists at The Weather Channel have they forced them to leave TWC?

heck it was better with your weather today with Heather Tesch and Marshall Seese

I like Day Planner too. I miss the old Weather Center. I don't like Weather Center Live. I would bring those 2 shows back and we need to have more emphasis on the Weather not reality shows. That's what turned The Weather Channel into a joke.

I'd like to see Heather return to TWC but I highly doubt that Marshall would want to return to TWC.

I like Day Planner too. I miss the old Weather Center. I don't like Weather Center Live. I would bring those 2 shows back and we need to have more emphasis on the Weather not reality shows. That's what turned The Weather Channel into a joke.

I'd like to see Heather return to TWC but I highly doubt that Marshall would want to return to TWC.

marshall retired in 2008 btw

Apparently according to the nypost (take it with a grain of salt) says that the show was cancelled over an email fight regarding T.S Erica

http://pagesix.com/2015/09/04/al-rokers-weather-channel-show-ends-after-email-fight/?_ga=1.93885661.1317801037.1440008243

Wow, I found some more info and it sounds like Al was really pissed.

The reason we are in the trouble we're in is an intransigence of management when it comes to a decision and an unwillingness to pivot.

That's pretty scathing, and it seems to accurately describe TWC's management for the past several years.

Archived