New Set for KABC?

fan of la tv

Looking a montage posted on YouTube, KABC's opens (and presumably in-show graphics) have been updated every 3 years since 1995, except for the first HD package from 2007, which only lasted 2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=HeFyYHqTg6Q;m=7;s=6

Not a fan of the look or the font choice. Big step backwards.

I tend to agree. Not that condensed Helvetica is inspired, but NBC and CBS O&O's already have enough Gotham for the markets they share.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking a montage posted on YouTube, KABC's opens (and presumably in-show graphics) have been updated every 3 years since 1995, except for the first HD package from 2007, which only lasted 2 years.

Hold on. I thought KABC went HD in 2006 (two months before WLS's new studio debuted).

Hold on. I thought KABC went HD in 2006 (two months before WLS's new studio debuted).

Now that I think about it, yeah. So, the '04 graphics (which were a heavy refresh, really) had the shortest term of those mentioned.

Well along with a new set, could new graphics might be in the works, as well? Earlier tonight, Channel 7 debuted new weather graphics.

RkZ9Xlr.png

Here's the full new KABC graphics package. Dallas did give a brief mention of them at the end of his weathercast. Seems like they are going for a 3D/virtual view in their near future?

[ATTACH=full]2350[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2351[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2352[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2353[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2354[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2355[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2356[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2357[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2358[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]2359[/ATTACH]

I love the descriptions for the different weather.

Speaking of hot... Does it look like Hothaus will be doing the new stuff too?

All kidding aside, it's possible. As different as the new weather graphics and logo are, I could very well see the new look being a very heavy refresh, more of a re-imagining of the 2012 package than a brand-new concept. If so, why not go back to the original source?

The new KTRK look also uses Gotham, so it makes sense. Wouldn't be surprised to see other ABC O&O stations adopt similar typographic styles as well.

Eh, I'm not sure how smart it is to switch to the same typeface that two of your major competitors are also using. Gotham seems to be this decade's version of DIN when it comes to local TV design — they're both otherwise well-designed types that lose their freshness and edginess when everybody is using them.

That's not to say that the Helvetica it's replacing is all that original either — though at least the condensed and extended versions that KABC/KGO used with the flat look really made it pop.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, it's a nice evolution of what they had. I would say I preferred the old look more, but hey, this is brand new and fresh, and the outgoing look is not, so it's all good. The studio's very nice, but the lighting seems a little dark on the anchors and the top of the set.

Indeed,Charles! those graphics are sharp, and they have a better jibe with the "Eye In LA" look. I also like that they've departed from the all flat look that the 2012 graphics had in the open.... dig the new video that was shot for them as well :cool:

NewscastStudio.com's update on the set is now live! Headline for the set page here says the set was designed by Broadcast Design International. To me, this set looks like a bit of a different direction for BDI to go in terms of certain shapes used... and a HUGE departure from KABC's 2006 set.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/setstudio/kabc3/

UPDATE: GFX also uploaded there as well:

http://www.newscaststudio.com/graphics/kabc2/

Archived