WGN Adding 10PM Newscast

24994J

Shit's getting real at 10.

35 years after they last aired a newscast against the big three (then-helmed by John Drury) at 10pm, Tribune-owned WGN will add 30 minutes following its signature "News at Nine" this fall. Anchored by the 9pm team of Mark Suppelsa, Micah Mattere, Tom Freakin' Skilling and Dan Roan, the broadcast will be entering a heated race that has seen the rise of WMAQ, challenging and frequently beating WLS for the first time in decades. The addition of WGN is likely to affect the numbers, and send WBBM deeper into the abyss. Unlike the 6-hour early morning circus and the 2-hour midday and evening shows, the new half hour will be a standalone newscast, not merely an extension of the previous hour. To differentiate itself from its competitors, Skilling will lead each night's broadcast, presumably as a thinly-veiled way of getting him off the air and to bed faster than if he stuck through til like 10:20. One would think that he might leave the midday show at some point. Game show 'Celebrity Name Game' will move a half hour to 10:30, and keep its hour at 10am.

The new newscast debuts October 5th. The move will expand WGN's weekly news output to 63.5 hours, a full 21 hours ahead of the next station (WLS with 42.5).

This does present a larger problem to me, though, as viewers could potentially grow tired of the team in place, as the anchors will now helm 3.5 hours each night. Plus, many, including myself, can only take Micah Materre in small doses. Frankly, this makes the moving of Lourdes Duarte to mornings and the continuing relegation of Tom Negovan to reporter/fill-in even more troubling. It also seems like a waste to be keeping Patrick Elwood and Nancy Loo (an established team at WFLD) off the desk.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/08/18/wgn-enters-10-p-m-news-battle/

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7586-wgn-tv-launching-10-00pm-newscast

Shit's getting real at 10.

35 years after they last aired a newscast against the big three (then-helmed by John Drury) at 10pm, Tribune-owned WGN will add 30 minutes following its signature "News at Nine" this fall. Anchored by the 9pm team of Mark Suppelsa, Micah Mattere, Tom Freakin' Skilling and Dan Roan, the broadcast will be entering a heated race that has seen the rise of WMAQ, challenging and frequently beating WLS for the first time in decades. The addition of WGN is likely to affect the numbers, and send WBBM deeper into the abyss. Unlike the 6-hour early morning circus and the 2-hour midday and evening shows, the new half hour will be a standalone newscast, not merely an extension of the previous hour. To differentiate itself from its competitors, Skilling will lead each night's broadcast, presumably as a thinly-veiled way of getting him off the air and to bed faster than if he stuck through til like 10:20. One would think that he might leave the midday show at some point. Game show 'Celebrity Name Game' will move a half hour to 10:30, and keep its hour at 10am.

The new newscast debuts October 5th. The move will expand WGN's weekly news output to 63.5 hours, a full 21 hours ahead of the next station (WLS with 42.5).

This does present a larger problem to me, though, as viewers could potentially grow tired of the team in place, as the anchors will now helm 3.5 hours each night. Plus, many, including myself, can only take Micah Materre in small doses. Frankly, this makes the moving of Lourdes Duarte to mornings and the continuing relegation of Tom Negovan to reporter/fill-in even more troubling. It also seems like a waste to be keeping Patrick Elwood and Nancy Loo (an established team at WFLD) off the desk.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/08/18/wgn-enters-10-p-m-news-battle/

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7586-wgn-tv-launching-10-00pm-newscast

Take Tom off the midday and bring in Mike Janssen? Caplan? McGill? Ivory? Somebody. Sometimes Tom isn't even ready for the midday show.

Holy shit.

Mark and Micah doing 3.5 hours is just messed up. I don't see the need for this newscast, but I guess we were saying that about the 4pm, and look how that's doing. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: it's going to be a hell of a sweeps season. And WBBM is really screwed.

I'm holding out hope that a new set is on the way for WGN.

Take Tom off the midday and bring in Mike Janssen? Caplan? McGill? Ivory? Somebody. Sometimes Tom isn't even ready for the midday show.

Yeah, I don't know if he or the station is trying to prove something, but he doesn't have to. They're pretty much without competition at noon and they're #1 at 11 without him, so they don't really need him as a draw, and it's not like they don't have a deep bench that could back him up. Hell, they could have Demetrius do the 10pm show, and come back for the 4-6 early newscast, and he'd still be putting in fewer hours than Tom.

I'm holding out hope that a new set is on the way for WGN.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

Isn't it ironic that one of the reasons (and there were MANY) why Suppelsa left Fox is because he wasn't given 'The TEN' (shudders), feeling that it would undermine the 9pm flagship? Now, after nearly two decades, he finally gets his 10 o'clock newscast, and I think it's fair to say the dean of Chicago news will not reside at 190 North after the current king steps down.

Yeah, I don't know if he or the station is trying to prove something, but he doesn't have to. They're pretty much without competition at noon and they're #1 at 11 without him, so they don't really need him as a draw, and it's not like they don't have a deep bench that could back him up. Hell, they could have Demetrius do the 10pm show, and come back for the 4-6 early newscast, and he'd still be putting in fewer hours than Tom.

Abso-frickin-lutely.

Isn't it ironic that one of the reasons (and there were MANY) why Suppelsa left Fox is because he wasn't given 'The TEN' (shudders), feeling that it would undermine the 9pm flagship? Now, after nearly two decades, he finally gets his 10 o'clock newscast, and I think it's fair to say the dean of Chicago news will not reside at 190 North after the current king steps down.

Usually the dean is the guy who's been around the longest...

KTLA launched their 11pm news...what?...a year ago? I have only watched it a handful of times since I am usually up for the 4am KTLA Morning News. Not surprised with this move. I am sure they will do well just as KTLA has. I see Skilling moving off the midday newscasts and exclusively to the evening newscasts. WGN has a lot of weather talent to take Tom's place.

Usually the dean is the guy who's been around the longest...

Then it depends on who succeeds Magers. I think status as primary anchor for a station should count, in addition to tenure.

Either way, whatever.

Then it depends on who succeeds Magers. I think status as primary anchor for a station should count, in addition to tenure.

Either way, whatever.

I only say longest at a station because the guy who's considered the dean here is the business reporter at WJBK... Since 1975... so that's where I'm getting my idea of what "dean" means. If you wanted to use it for only lead anchors than I suppose Suppelsa would be next after Majors.

Maybe they'll go big and debut a new set on the launch date

I'd be very, very disappointed if they didn't. They got new graphics for the last big newscast launch, so a new set should be in order this time. Right?

I've been thinking a lot about anchor pairings... Wouldn't something like this be reasonable?

Midday: Negovan and Dina

4: Mark and Dina

5: Mark and Micah

9: Micah and Steve

10: Mark and Micah

I'd love to see Steve at 9 again, because that's just where he belongs, and it would allow Negovan, who's a vastly underrated anchor, to return to midday. I'm not sure if I like Dina doing all of midday and the 4pm, but that seems to be the most realistic. It would be really nice for Lourdes to come back to evenings (she was the best co-anchor Mark ever had IMO), but that would present problems for the early morning show. And I don't know what to do about the meteorologists... Tom probably should stop doing midday, but I don't know who would replace him. Demetrius doing 4-6 and 11-1 seems like a little much.

I say longest at a station because the guy who's considered the dean here is the business reporter at WJBK... Since 1975... so that's where I'm getting my idea of what "dean" means. If you wanted to use it for only lead anchors than I suppose Suppelsa would be next after Majors.

Suppelsa wouldn't be next in line after Majors. Steve Sanders and Alan Krasesky would be if you're talking about anchors. You are right that the 'dean' would be someone who has been at a station, newspaper, etc... for the longest length of time.

The addition of a 10P newscast is unnecessary. I can't seem them keeping this beyond a year unless they can firmly overtake WBBM, which shouldn't be too hard.

Suppelsa wouldn't be next in line after Majors. Steve Sanders and Alan Krasesky would be if you're talking about anchors. You are right that the 'dean' would be someone who has been at a station, newspaper, etc... for the longest length of time.

The addition of a 10P newscast is unnecessary. I can't seem them keeping this beyond a year unless they can firmly overtake WBBM, which shouldn't be too hard.

I was thinking lead anchors though if majors goes maybe that's Krashesky if he gets it...

• 4 weeks later...
It begins. I saw a 5-second promo this morning with a picture of Skilling and the words "Tom at Ten. 10.05.15."

A similar type of Tom at Ten ad has been shown on expressway billboards for the past two weeks or so. I think I forgot to mention it here.

Interesting how as of right now, they're exclusively advertising Skilling and nothing else about the newscast.

A similar type of Tom at Ten ad has been shown on expressway billboards for the past two weeks or so. I think I forgot to mention it here.

Interesting how as of right now, they're exclusively advertising Skilling and nothing else about the newscast.

Skilling is basically make or break for the ol' number 9....

• 3 weeks later...

Not really sure what to expect for the debut tomorrow, but here are few things I'll be looking for:

• How will they close the 9:00? Will they still go to commercial at 9:57, or roll right into the 10:00?
  • Will they tweak the format of the news at nine? I don't see the need to do the seven day forecast "update" at 9:50 anymore, if Tom's going to lead off the ten.
  • Does Tom do his full forecast right at 10:00, or just a short version (kind of like he does at 4:00)?
  • Will the music/graphics for the intros, talent open (if there is a talent open) be the same as the 9? I hope not... The 9pm theme is definitely the weakest one they're using.
  • How is Roan going to do two unique sports segments that are only about half an hour apart? I feel like the 10pm sports would just be a rehash of what he did on the 9:00.
  • End of the News at Ten: will the four of them finally sit together to close a newscast?
  • Ratings.

Not really sure what to expect for the debut tomorrow, but here are few things I'll be looking for:

• How will they close the 9:00? Will they still go to commercial at 9:57, or roll right into the 10:00?
  • Will they tweak the format of the news at nine? I don't see the need to do the seven day forecast "update" at 9:50 anymore, if Tom's going to lead off the ten.
  • Does Tom do his full forecast right at 10:00, or just a short version (kind of like he does at 4:00)?
  • Will the music/graphics for the intros, talent open (if there is a talent open) be the same as the 9? I hope not... The 9pm theme is definitely the weakest one they're using.
  • How is Roan going to do two unique sports segments that are only about half an hour apart? I feel like the 10pm sports would just be a rehash of what he did on the 9:00.
  • End of the News at Ten: will the four of them finally sit together to close a newscast?
  • Ratings.

With regards to weather doing an update at 945 still works because I'm sure lots of WGN's viewership is headed for bed pretty quick so you really can't show the thing too many times. Maybe for the 10 they'll come up with a ten day forecast?

Roan could do an expanded 10pm sportscast or he could make the 10pm one abbreviated. It depends on how they want to use the time in that 10pm hour. I would imagine they wouldn't make many changes to the 9pm show. Saying "we offer more sports and weather than anyone else at 10 in Chicago" can't hurt.

Archived