Garth Kemp Resigns From KABC

FiveNews

The station announced on his Twitter @abc7Garth that he resigned after 17 years. No reason given. I wasn't a Garth fan, he has been their morning wx caster for quite sometime....officially talking over in the morning from Johnny Mountain when he went to KCBS. If I remember correctly, he was also on weekends as well. Might be a string of moves as their new ND gets settled in.

Guest Former Member 207

Wow...pretty shocking indeed. He had been with KABC since 1998, and was a pretty popular station personality. I wonder, like many of you perhaps, what made him resign from the station.

BTW...KABC moved fairly quick--his bio is gone from the station's website.

I bet he ends up at 2/9 sooner than later.

The real interesting news this week is Gonzo Goes Bako.

Send Gonzo into Bako to "soften up the target" ...

NBG and the rest of the cast soon follow.

Sorry....

No time for translation....big Socal news a breaking!

i hope not or they did bow to kris kartrashian

He resigned......

So either his contract had an open "window"...or he had a stipulation in his contract that allowed for a sudden resignation.

Or he had a morals clause that was activated, and he bailed before he got fired. Maybe he was a bad boy and we just don't know about it yet....or ever.

Or....

He just quit, breach of contract and we see ya in court maybe.

It's pretty hard to say what happened without knowing some details of his contract with KABC...we may never know....but my guess is KCBS/KCAL's new ND may be involved somehow.

I bet he ends up at 2/9 sooner than later.

The real interesting news this week is Gonzo Goes Bako.

Send Gonzo into Bako to "soften up the target" ...

NBG and the rest of the cast soon follow.

Sorry....

No time for translation....big Socal news a breaking!

Can't rule KTLA, since Corsini was the one that imported several KABC personalities while at 2/9.

I'm not really a big KABC fan, but you can't deny they plan for the long term. Garth was popular, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bri or Jonathan took his spot. KABC tends to make decisions that may have us scratching our heads in the short term, but make sense in the long term. Remember when Marc and Michelle used to anchor the 4pm, 6pm and 11pm? They did that for years. Now they anchor the more traditional 5pm and 11pm shows. Also remember when Johnny Mountain did weather in the morning, 11am and 5pm? When Johnny left, they put Dallas at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm and 11pm. Garth was promoted to mornings and 11am. We'll see how his replacement plays out

This is what somebody posted on tvspy messages board

Update: Garth Kemp called into KABC 790AM talk show 8/19 morning to talk about his resignation with Doug McIntyre. He says that it was his decision to increase his new career in voiceover work and it was better for his own schedule to no longer do weather on TV. He didn't touch at all on the manner in which ABC7 abruptly dropped him using the station-owned Twitter/Facebook feeds, but did promote his new personal Twitter feed. Seems he is happy and not going to cast aspersions. Classy, Classy Guy!

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/veteran-kabc-weather-anchor-out/153732#disqus_thread

His statement leaves a whole lot of questions.

He just decided to bail on KABC??? That's not considered classy....that's called "breach of contract".

Unless.....

He had "window" in the contract and he took advantage of it....much to the surprise of KABC. Usually it's the other way around.

Translation.....

"Voiceover My Ass".

You gotta be damm sure something else is arranged before jamming like he did. VO does not pay what he was making...Just ask Mark Thompson.

To be continued.....

Speculation time: Garth winds up at KTLA as the PM weather anchor, Vera gets bumped down to the early afternoon newscasts. I can't see him leaving a nice cushy gig at 7 w/o him having something better lined up. I just can't see KCBS/KCAL ponying up the dough for Kemp with all the cuts they've been doing recently.

I can't see him leaving a nice cushy gig at 7 w/o him having something better lined up. I just can't see KCBS/KCAL ponying up the dough for Kemp with all the cuts they've been doing recently.

Unless those "cuts" are to make room for him....

...or not..

Your KTLA Scenario is totally workable also...

Don't touch that dial!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The morning news with what is left makes me want to puke. They need to just report the news and not act like big shots or like their poop don't stink. I always liked Garth for weather over most of the others. What a loss for ABC7. Until the attitudes change with their way of casting, I need to search after all these years for another channel to watch.

• 1 year later...

No one mentioned Indra Petersons. She also left KABC suddenly and without an explanation. My guess is that at least her situation involved Dallas Raines somehow, but there is absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever anywhere (and no, I am not suggesting anything sexual). It is interesting that the Wikipedia page for Dallas Raines warns about potentially libelous or harmful material. Regardless, there does seem to be secrets at KABC that they are protecting but that is only my opinion. If Garth Kemp's leaving KABC has anything to do with secrets then it is possible that none of the guesses are relevant.

Archived