WTHI ripoff of "The Now" for a 5pm promo

tyrannical bastard

For some reason, maybe just out of pure curiosity (or remembering the old WTWO promo years back about the Doppler Dead Zone), I happened to stumble across WTHI in Terre Haute.

When I clicked on their livestream, the pre-roll promo that preceded it was a DEAD ON RIPOFF of the promo used by Scripps stations to launch "The NOW" on their stations....right down to the graphics, animation and SCRIPT itself!

(I've attached screengrabs....I don't have Bandicam capability, but you get the gist of it...If anyone is up to the challenge to catch this...feel free to post)

[ATTACH]1568.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1567.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1566.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1565.IPB[/ATTACH]

Come on WTHI...it's bad enough you blatantly ripped off this spot...but one for THE NOW?!?!?!?!

1078004939_wthiripoff4.jpg.e2b91af1c3942f91466160f969ab3a8e.jpg

34603795_wthiripoff3.jpg.f3a18d5dbb330864ba02f5b741134e18.jpg

1702001945_wthiripoff2.jpg.03f52729c229dae0deca5244c5a7e89f.jpg

1065427749_wthiripoff1.jpg.dddb4f7ec3ffc90bad5427a27f3e9262.jpg

Ripped Off?

Maybe they just bought the thing and the elements. Spot elements are sold everyday. Cardealers do ot....radio stations....supermarket chains etc.

Entire marketing companies are built around the Idea of "one spot fits all".

Ripped Off?

Maybe they just bought the thing and the elements. Spot elements are sold everyday. Cardealers do ot....radio stations....supermarket chains etc.

Entire marketing companies are built around the Idea of "one spot fits all".

...but "The NOW" is solely a Scripps thing. This is a Media General station in Terre Haute.

Small-market ripoffs of larger market work are very prevalent. All it takes is a consultant, news director, CSD, or GM to find something they like on YouTube, and decree "make the spot look like this".

Sometimes it's justified when a package is bought by a station (like the Stephen Arnold "Waking up my Day" spot/jingle). But I highly doubt this is the case since this is not the first time Media General has copied Scripps (as with WATE's current graphics package). It's VERY unlikely this was sanctioned by Scripps at all.

Scripps has a very competent graphics hub. They're not buying pre-made templates for The NOW.

It doesnt mean they aren't selling them though... And yeah when it comes to special graphics and stuff the hub spitts out some really nice stuff. The regular graphics are from when they weren't quite as good at it. Every replacement element I've seen since has looked great.

...but "The NOW" is solely a Scripps thing. This is a Media General station in Terre Haute.

Small-market ripoffs of larger market work are very prevalent. All it takes is a consultant, news director, CSD, or GM to find something they like on YouTube, and decree "make the spot look like this".

Sometimes it's justified when a package is bought by a station (like the Stephen Arnold "Waking up my Day" spot/jingle). But I highly doubt this is the case since this is not the first time Media General has copied Scripps (as with WATE's current graphics package). It's VERY unlikely this was sanctioned by Scripps at all.

Even the pre-YouTube days featured some absolutely dynamite ripoffs of major market work, as the Diversified stations in the 90s suggest.

I mean, there's a reason we have a whole thread of graphics knockoffs.

It doesnt mean they aren't selling them though... And yeah when it comes to special graphics and stuff the hub spitts out some really nice stuff. The regular graphics are from when they weren't quite as good at it. Every replacement element I've seen since has looked great.

After actually seeing the promo, and not just the tiny stills in the OP...

It's a rip off. And a not very well done one at that.

Learning that Terre Haute still has WRTV on their local cable line up makes it even worse. This is the case because WRTV was the default ABC affiliate for Terre Haute before Nexstar's spat with FOX which made them rechristen WFXW as WAWV with an ABC affiliation. Even as WTHI launched their new FOX subchannel with prime real estate on basic cable, WRTV remained.

Archived