New MSNBC graphics

tyrannical bastard

As said in my post in the "MSNBC Graphics Go 16:9" thread,

Well, look who finally joined everyone else in going out of the safe area!

And the new UPPRERCASE logo looks really nice under this font, and very (obviously) reminiscent of the classic pre-2009 logo.

brand.gif?itok=paZDpJPi

As for the graphics themselves, it's not great but is really nice.

And I also see some traces of CNN in there, but is in color. It's a nice change-up here.

I like the chyron font changing to Helvetica Condensed but the logo and live bug are far too big. Make those bugs smaller and make them fit on one line in that box and fit the show title under the logo and live bugs. Or, since they're not looping the logo/slogan anymore, loop the logo and show title. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the ticker.

MSNBC today revamped their logo and graphics today with a cleaner presentation style.

They now have a bigger and more easily readable ticker. The lower thirds look the same for the most part except it's now been shifted to the left and to the right there's a box featuring an oddly designed live bug featuring a capitalized msnbc logo. Full screens look different as well but still have certain elements such as the diagonal zebra lines that are seen on Weekends with Alex Witt.

imDtXyZh.jpg

Kl8tSUmh.jpg

Here's two crappy iPhone TVE screen grabs.

I love the new ticker as it's now easier to read. I wish they'd permanently loop the show name / msnbc logo in that white box permanently or maybe rotate in a descriptor box of sorts.

imDtXyZh.jpg

Kl8tSUmh.jpg

I believe their lower thirds are the best of the three big cable news networks, and CNBC and FBN. However I'm not sure how I feel about the logo box. It seems fairly large. It's also strange seeing a capitalized MSNBC after so many years of it being lowercased. No one really caught on to the 'msnbc' stylization of it, everyone always wrote it capitalized.

MSNBC's look has had a fairly clean, simplified look since they debuted the first edition of this package 6 years ago. I like it. Certainly not as busy as Fox News's, which I find to be distracting.

Noticing they've dropped using any type of constant on-screen branding for their shows (i.e. All In with Chris Hayes.)

Not sure if I like that. It's kind of lumping everything under the same banner.

I would definitely have the MSNBC logo and show logo rotate. I'd move the time/market info next to a live bug that actually disappears when they show a package. I'd also make the left box to full width.

It's a bit odd seeing a news network that doesn't have a permanent time bug.

Other than those minor tweaks I like it.

Noticing they've dropped using any type of constant on-screen branding for their shows (i.e. All In with Chris Hayes.)

Not sure if I like that. It's kind of lumping everything under the same banner.

That might be intentional, considering their idea to become more news-driven and less personality-driven in certain dayparts.

The one thing that bugs me is that the logo isn't centered, and the text dwarfs the peacock. Just not right. The idea is there, but...

Archived