WLS To Get New Set

24994J

Not to take away from the topic at hand, but KGO was at the newsroom desk for a few weeks last year while they worked on the main set. It's actually a really nice setup with great depth of field producing a glow from the assignment desk monitors. In some ways, it looked/looks far more interesting than the studio on the single anchor shots.

maxresdefault.jpg

What a wonderful wall Color back there.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a wonderful wall Color back there.

They were upgrading the lighting system to LED at that time and for some reason they also took out the ABC 7 logo off the desk. Thoughts and speculations was it was going to be a hand me down to KRON. But they got rid of their massive 7 LIVE loft set for KRON's new studio.

FINALLY! It was pissing me off how old that set was and how they seemingly didn't want to change it.

Regarding BDI, their sets aren't bad by any means at all, however they don't seem to age very well. After a few years they can look really old and outdated. That was my biggest beef with WLS's set, even 3 or 4 years ago, it just looked old.

Yep. KUSA's set hasn't aged well in the same way.

They were upgrading the lighting system to LED at that time and for some reason they also took out the ABC 7 logo off the desk. Thoughts and speculations was it was going to be a hand me down to KRON. But they got rid of their massive 7 LIVE loft set for KRON's new studio.

Are they still using a desk without a logo?

Windy City Live's season premiere will be on September 8th, so I think that's a safe bet for a launch date, though a Saturday night soft launch is more likely.

That would kind of match the way they did the 2013 graphics too...

Nice job... I like the blue a lot... I'd be happy if our set was half that blue....

I've been working on this demo for a couple of years, now, and only went the blue/gray route in wake of the SSS's refresh in 2014. The previous model, which I still have, was designed with the old graphics in mind. I'll admit, the design is a terrible space waster, and obviously wouldn't work in the storefront space.

I've been working on this demo for a couple of years, now, and only went the blue/gray route in wake of the SSS's refresh in 2014. The previous model, which I still have, was designed with the old graphics in mind. I'll admit, the design is a terrible space waster, and obviously wouldn't work in the storefront space.

The SSS is actually pretty small compared to the way it looks on TV.

i found something of what looks to be their OLD set was this before they moved to 190 or was it in a different part of 190?

That was their previous set before they even had the street-level storefront studio (The studio for Windy City Live, which is behind the storefront studio, has been there since the 80's after the State Lake Theater closed, and was where Oprah's first show was produced). The temporary set they're on right now is probably in the same studio that old set was in.

They've been at 190 North State since sometime in the late 1950's.

I fear saying this out of fear someone will give me the Jim Gardner facepalm graphic ... but going out on a limb here ... how about WPVI for a new set?? I know they did that nice video wall about 6 or so months back?? We all know they need new gfx (I would love to see them get the KABC/KGO gfx ... so damn bad) ... how about a new set??

-- Matt

I fear saying this out of fear someone will give me the Jim Gardner facepalm graphic ... but going out on a limb here ... how about WPVI for a new set?? I know they did that nice video wall about 6 or so months back?? We all know they need new gfx (I would love to see them get the KABC/KGO gfx ... so damn bad) ... how about a new set??

-- Matt

KTRK updated their video wall about a year or so ago as well as adding new smart board video technology to the set and now they're getting a new one. WLS did some updates last year too. I think it's like someone earlier said, they are probably told random that they'll be getting funding for a new set

KTRK updated their video wall about a year or so ago as well as adding new smart board video technology to the set and now they're getting a new one. WLS did some updates last year too. I think it's like someone earlier said, they are probably told random that they'll be getting funding for a new set

There isn't anything random about it.

I'm not familiar with how the process works, care to share some insight? I just a find it bizarre that stations make tweaks and updates to their set when an entirely new set isn't that far down the road.

Its all about the budget line items. Sometimes (most times) the news department only gets enough "capital improvement" funding to pay for only so much. They GM can make the request, but if corporate doedn't feel it's needed or they need a different piece of equipment more, then it gets put off. However, they might get a minor upgrade approved instead.

So the GM makes the same request the next budget year, and voila: It's approved because other, more important, needs have already been met.

They just don't know from one budget year to the next what will be approved in the next cycle.

KGO's market doesn't demand a new set. They're doing well in the ratings, and KTVU hasn't had a new set in over 10 years. The KGO set is muted enough that it ages well, especially with the giant live video wall.

I'm not convinced KTRK is getting a new set - the source is a Tweet noticing they're on a temp set. But they could be doing the same lighting updates KGO and WLS did.

WLS was definitely due for a set. The angles of the set structure didn't age well.

Archived