WLS To Get New Set

24994J

While not always popular in these parts (or totally accurate, as they say the set was refreshed in 2013), NewscastStudio is saying that they'll be on the temp set until September, when a new set will debut. I must say, I'm curious as to how the space will be converted, considering they butt right up to 'Windy City Live', and might the talk show be getting a makeover?

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/08/13/chicago-abc-moves-to-temporary-set/

Jack Morton PDG will get the nod this time around. Based on their recent designs (SportsCenter, CBS This Morning, KXAS, WCBS), I think they'll be a good hands.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While not always popular in these parts (or totally accurate, as they say the set was refreshed in 2013), NewscastStudio is saying that they'll be on the temp set until September, when a new set will debut. I must say, I'm curious as to how the space will be converted, considering they butt right up to 'Windy City Live', and might the talk show be getting a makeover?

http://www.newscasts...-temporary-set/

Jack Morton PDG will get the nod this time around. Based on their recent designs (SportsCenter, CBS This Morning, KXAS, WCBS), I think they'll be a good hands.

Jack Morton? Huh. That's not a name I've heard before... It'll be interesting to see if they lose chairs for sports and weather and make them stand. I've heard it's actually easier logistically to do it that way. Just walk up and then walk away. Maybe they'll start doing what Ron Magers does on Thanksgiving too and have multiple stand-up anchor shots during the newscast.

Not even kidding, I pretty much created a new studio for them in Google's SketchUp program, that uses a few cues from Morton sets.

One thing I've noticed, especially among local sets in their repertoire, they have many traditional elements, while still going very light and tech heavy. Look at the outgoing studio. Very traditional, relying on fixed decorative pieces, and not so much on high-tech features. Compare that WABC, with their ridiculous amount of monitors, but with little warmth and substance. The Morton sets blend style very well.

Again, Morton PDG seems like a very solid choice, but they have a very wide range, making it very difficult to speculate where they might go. Space will be the ultimate limitation, either way, and hopefully it doesn't hinder the creative side.

Not even kidding, I pretty much created a new studio for them in Google's SketchUp program, that uses a few cues from Morton sets.

One thing I've noticed, especially among local sets in their repertoire, they have many traditional elements, while still going very light and tech heavy. Look at the outgoing studio. Very traditional, relying on fixed decorative pieces, and not so much on high-tech features. Compare that WABC, with their ridiculous amount of monitors, but with little warmth and substance. The Morton sets blend style very well.

Again, Morton PDG seems like a very solid choice, but they have a very wide range, making it very difficult to speculate where they might go. Space will be the ultimate limitation, either way, and hopefully it doesn't hinder the creative side.

I agree. Plus, Jack Morton's designs/sets tend to age fairly well. The thing about BDI's sets (and in particular, the one they created for WLS) was that they tend to overdo it and it makes the set look very busy. Never was a fan of the desk or the background.

If KTRK and KABC get new sets, then...what about KGO? Did their new set get lost in the mail?

LOL. Totally forgot about KGO. They really need a new set and badly. Maybe they'll get lucky and the mouse will be in a giving mood and get them a new set.

If KTRK and KABC get new sets, then...what about KGO? Did their new set get lost in the mail?

Hold on. A3N was just throwing KABC into the mix. To my knowledge, they're not doing anything at the moment.

Any way to post what you made?

Jack Morton? Huh. That's not a name I've heard before...

They designed another streetside studio in Chicago... WBBM.

Of course, since WBBM wrecked it, Jack Morton doesn't seem to want to promote that they designed it anymore.

I've been waiting on this set since 2010. This last set didn't particularly aged well. By the time 2009 hit, it already started looking dated but kudos to them for making it almost 10 years. Now I hope WGN and WBBMWBBM get a new set that they also badly need an upgrade.

FINALLY! It was pissing me off how old that set was and how they seemingly didn't want to change it.

Regarding BDI, their sets aren't bad by any means at all, however they don't seem to age very well. After a few years they can look really old and outdated. That was my biggest beef with WLS's set, even 3 or 4 years ago, it just looked old.

The new lighting and anchor backdrop duratrans installed last year really did work wonders, but it's odd that that they waited so long to make such a move, only to blow it up now.

So if KTRK and WLS are getting new sets, then KABC should be getting a new one real soon as well.

KGO is way overdue for a new set. With them leasing the studio across the hallway to KRON, it would most likely be a newsroom set up for a temporary set.

The new lighting and anchor backdrop duratrans installed last year really did work wonders, but it's odd that that they waited so long to make such a move, only to blow it up now.

I said the same thing. WSPA also changed their duratrans to only get a new set less than a year later which I thought was funny but sometimes stations find out at the last minute from their company that they will grant them money they need for a new set. Maybe this happened at WLS.

Apparently they have a stand-up area arranged, though the only stand-up done last night was Hosea (minus Kathy, who was wearing a shade of green) standing in front of the green screen, tossing to the 5 o'clock news.

Screenshot_2015-08-14-12-46-23_zpsgsye0r0h.png

KGO is way overdue for a new set. With them leasing the studio across the hallway to KRON, it would most likely be a newsroom set up for a temporary set.

Not to take away from the topic at hand, but KGO was at the newsroom desk for a few weeks last year while they worked on the main set. It's actually a really nice setup with great depth of field producing a glow from the assignment desk monitors. In some ways, it looked/looks far more interesting than the studio on the single anchor shots.

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived