NBCU Extends Premier League Contract for Six Years

rkolsen

NBC is recently started their third and final year of their current Barclays Premier League Contract. Today they extended their contract for six more seasons through 2021-2022 season. Neither NBC or BPL disclosed how much their contract is worth but they currently pay $83million/ season.

I don't watch football often but when I do I've enjoyed their coverage. I believe they are part of the reason why the past men's and women's World Cups have been so popular. NBC was showcasing every match on the weekend on NBC, NBCSN and on special OnDemand channels where viewers can watch the matches live.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33855590

NBC is recently started their third and final year of their current Barclays Premier League Contract. Today they extended their contract for six more seasons through 2021-2022 season. Neither NBC or BPL disclosed how much their contract is worth but they currently pay $83million/ season.

I don't watch football often but when I do I've enjoyed their coverage. I believe they are part of the reason why the past men's and women's World Cups have been so popular. NBC was showcasing every match on the weekend on NBC, NBCSN and on special OnDemand channels where viewers can watch the matches live. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33855590

And on USA Network and CNBC as well. Other than that, 6 MORE YEARS!!!! 6 MORE YEARS!!!! 6 MORE YEARS!!!!

I'm not sure how true this was but a commenter on a Guardian.com article said that Mark Lazarus has said that he was willing to pay $500 million for a three year deal. What's especially surprising is that this contract is for six seasons where in the UK the standard contract term is three seasons.

Almost all comments on the said Guardian.com article were favorable towards NBC and deplored the prior Fox contract.

I'm not sure how true this was but a commenter on a Guardian.com article said that Mark Lazarus has said that he was willing to pay $500 million for a three year deal. What's especially surprising is that this contract is for six seasons where in the UK the standard contract term is three seasons.

Almost all comments on the said Guardian.com article were favorable towards NBC and deplored the prior Fox contract.

That's the thing that shocked me too, if I recall the current contract was only for 3 years and I just assumed that it would be another 3 year long contract. The fact it's double that means that NBC really gave the Premier League an offer that it couldn't refuse.

And I can't say I blame the comments on the Guardian. NBC gave the Premier League a ton of attention and marketing and has helped grow the fan base for the league in the US tremendously. Whereas Fox just treated it as filler similar to how they treat the UEFA Champions League package.

Although in all fairness, since Fox got the FIFA package they have been getting better at covering soccer but soccer fans have been tremendously spoiled with NBC's Premier League coverage and that caused Fox to finally step up their game.

Archived