Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
24994J

CBS Evening News

Recommended Posts

Still amazed they didn't get a larger studio for CBS Evening News.  The studio is nice enough but they should have gone with something bigger for a move as monumental and historic as this.   To me, the studio is a downgrade from their CBSTM studio in NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 3:07 PM, Chopper4 said:

As long as I can remember, going back at least 30 years, the CBS evening news in the Burlington, VT / Plattsburgh, NY market has been airing at 7 PM every weeknights.    NBC and ABC are both on at 6H30 PM.         

It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the ratings, compared to other markets.

Pittsburgh (CBS O&O KDKA-TV) Does the same thing and air the CBS Evening News at 7 PM. Nearby Markets such as WTAJ, WTRF, and WKBN all air the CBS EN at 6:30 PM. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aesthetically, it's the nicest set they've had since...well, the last Washington set. I wish it didn't give such a CNN / FOX O&O feel, but that's sort of to be expected with the new EP coming from the Situation Room. I hope they find good use for those floor panels.

 

Visually, it's the most polished look since the Couric era.

 

They really could have put their money where their mouth is and led with politics tonight if that's the whole reason to set up shop there. A little disappointed it was weather instead.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The studio looks nice. The graphics are a nice update from the super plain look that debuted a few months ago, though it still feels a bit on the cartoonish side to me. Strange that the old lower-third banners appeared sometimes, including for the top story. (That has to be a mistake, right?)

 

I still hate the show's logo taking up a bar on the bottom of the screen. They had this for Jeff Glor but then switched to a box on the left. But why is this necessary at all? Neither ABC nor NBC has anything like this in the evening.

 

The opening theme still feels lost to me. Sounds almost like a weak close, not an open.

 

But overall, an upgrade from a visual perspective. Let's see if they can take advantage of being in D.C., put on a solid broadcast, and earn the trust of new viewers.

 

I'm interested to see if the special report graphics are updated. I imagine we'll see that on Wednesday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

They really could have put their money where their mouth is and led with politics tonight if that's the whole reason to set up shop there. A little disappointed it was weather instead.

 

I agree. I would guess, going forward, Norah will be doing more political reporting (in-studio interviews with lawmakers, etc..) on a regular basis. If not, moving the show to DC would serve no purpose. She definitely is going to have to take on a 'leading role' in their overall political coverage. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jase said:

 

I agree. I would guess, going forward, Norah will be doing more political reporting (in-studio interviews with lawmakers, etc..) on a regular basis. If not, moving the show to DC would serve no purpose. She definitely is going to have to take on a 'leading role' in their overall political coverage. 

 

I think that was kind of the point, and I am honestly very excited!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the new studio looks really good. I’m thankfully they are back to using monitor OTS instead of graphics! I always felt the graphic ones were very cheap looking. I’m also glad they are moving around to use different parts of the studio and standing sometimes unlike WNT. I agree the graphics are trending more towards WNT now with the movement and such. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the new CBSEN is using a control room in Washington, DC, or if they are sending everything back to one of the control rooms in New York.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ED2 said:

I wonder if the new CBSEN is using a control room in Washington, DC, or if they are sending everything back to one of the control rooms in New York.

 

They have been hiring for technical roles in DC, and there's always been a control room there, so it's safe to say at least a good chunk of the production is coming from DC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been told that the EP will likely be in DC but most of the crew will be back in NY. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I’ve been told that the EP will likely be in DC but most of the crew will be back in NY. 

 

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I’ve been told that the EP will likely be in DC but most of the crew will be back in NY. 

 

I wonder how permanent that arrangement will be.  I guess having much of the CBSEN staff in NY could work in the short-term, but I imagine that has to be incredibly inefficient.  Collaborating via phone calls and video conferences only work to a certain extent.  I just hope none of the rank-and-file employees lose their jobs.

 

11 minutes ago, C Block said:

 

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

 

Agreed.  I'll be surprised if the DC version of CBSEN lasts more than a couple or few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the old studio, Im all for fully utilizing a resouce but, why does CBS repeatedly use studio 57 for almost everything?

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

In terms of the old studio, Im all for fully utilizing a resouce but, why does CBS repeatedly use studio 57 for almost everything?

 

After they left Studio 47 in 2016, they revamped that newsroom.  I don't know for sure if the Studio 47 space was "absorbed" into the remodeled newsroom, but the pictures released at the time the remodel was unveiled didn't show any signs of the studio still being there.   I would be curious to see if anyone has better knowledge on this matter.

 

All of that to say:  Besides the CBSN setup, Studio 57 (CBSTM set) has become the primary place for CBS News network broadcasts when originating from NY.

Edited by TheRyan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, C Block said:

 

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

What do you mean? The bulk of the team being in NY, or the show being in DC.

 

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

 

After they left Studio 47 in 2016, they revamped that newsroom.  I don't know for sure if the Studio 47 space was "absorbed" into the remodeled newsroom, but the pictures released at the time the remodel was unveiled didn't show any signs of the studio still being there.   I would be curious to see if anyone has better knowledge on this matter.

 

All of that to say:  Besides the CBSN setup, Studio 57 (CBSTM set) has become the primary place for CBS News network broadcasts when originating from NY.

Every  studio CBS Broadcast Center is booked. The only place I think they could use to switch out sets would be using the CBS Sports Studio.  They’ve used the studio before for a few of their town halls they did during sweeps. But the news division doesn’t have any other major studio space except for Studio 33 which I imagine is just a chroma key studio for 60 Minutes. Studio 45 which is half Inside Edition’s virtual set and half hard set for Sunday Morning which I don’t think they dare touching (aside from maybe painting and technological upgrades has it changed from the beginning). And Studio 57 is the bulk of their operations. 
 

There are also two studios converted into newsrooms - Studio 57 and Studio 47.

 

The rest of the space is booked.

 

41 - The Mel Robins Show

42 - Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Desus & Mero
43 - CBS Sports

44 - CBS Sports Network

46 - WCBS/WLNY. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, C Block said:

 

No way that's going to last long term. Moving the show to DC was clearly all about Norah.

Even if it is fully based in D.C. and "all about Norah", what difference would it make? Nothing of the move would change much the show's bottom line anyway. Plus she lives there with her family anyway, so...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very fresh look. Parts of it give off a CNN vibe, but maybe that's because of the chrome. Large displays, sharp corners, brightly lit (although with so much blue it feels cold) with occasional round elements to change it up. It has European elements that have been given an American flare. As for the graphics. They're certainly improved. It's a flashy flat look that doesn't go overboard. It's energetic.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance Studio 57 gets renovated to bring the look more in line with the current DC look?   I'd imagine that they would want the studio to look comparable in design in case they the show gets anchored from NY from time to time (like when a guest anchor is hosting or major coverage from NY).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

It's a very fresh look. Parts of it give off a CNN vibe, but maybe that's because of the chrome. Large displays, sharp corners, brightly lit (although with so much blue it feels cold) with occasional round elements to change it up. It has European elements that have been given an American flare. As for the graphics. They're certainly improved. It's a flashy flat look that doesn't go overboard. It's energetic.

 

Definitely a CNN vibe. Some parts remind me of Wolf Blitzer's studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing a second CBS Evening News recording on my TiVo I did a look around and saw that most of the CBS O&Os rerun the Evening News overnight. Sounds like a ratings play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

After seeing a second CBS Evening News recording on my TiVo I did a look around and saw that most of the CBS O&Os rerun the Evening News overnight. Sounds like a ratings play. 

 

NBC does the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 24994J said:

...And ABC. I believe 'Nightly News' was first to do this.

I haven’t seen the O&Os on NBC do it nor many affiliates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

I haven’t seen the O&Os on NBC do it nor many affiliates?

 

All 3 Chicago stations are doing it, that's all I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.