Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
24994J

CBS Evening News

As long as I can remember, going back at least 30 years, the CBS evening news in the Burlington, VT / Plattsburgh, NY market has been airing at 7 PM every weeknights.    NBC and ABC are both on at 6H30 PM.         

It would be interesting to see if it makes a difference in the ratings, compared to other markets.

2 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Things to remember is: (1) Many TV viewers have lost faith in local and national news organizations for a multitude of reasons.  (2) CBS has never fully recovered from the mid 90s affiliation switch, where CBS lost affiliates (in Atlanta, Austin, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Milwaukee, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay) to Fox, as well as additional switches that took place in Baltimore, Boston, Denver, Philly, Sacramento, and Salt Lake City about that same time.  (3) And whether it's Scott Pelley, or Jeff Glor, or Norah O'Donnell anchoring, or if CBS were to pick a name like Shephard Smith or Ann Curry, ratings aren't going to improve overnight.  This will take time.

Interesting idea to move the Evening News to a different time slot, but I'm not sure if it would be better. I imagine most people have heard the news of the day by that point, and are more interested in relaxing with entertainment content before bed, rather than news. I wonder what it would be like if primetime across the country moved from 7pm-10pm, local news 10-11pm, then network news at 11pm, with the late shows at 11:30pm?

Anyways, despite whatever reason people may claim is the problem with CBS in the short term, I think it's really much simpler. Do you really think people are not tuning in to CBS because 20 years ago something happened that most people aren't even aware of? I don't think so.

While there may be a few specific reasons CBS Evening News is struggling against its competitors, I think it just comes down to the fact that TV news is slowly dying. Yeah, that sucks for "us" as fans or myself personally, it being my career.  But society and culture is changing, and TV news is losing out to other methods to get news and to other ways people want to spend their free time. Some organizations are experimenting (Tegna) to see if there is something they can produce that consumers want....maybe they'll strike gold, but currently I don't see that happening.

Ultimately, I view TV news like a landline phone. Slowly dying. Some people still have one and enjoy it, but others have dropped it and moved on to other options. Then there's others that will never use one because there are better, more attractive, more convenient options (cell phones, internet), so they will never want a landline. Which means there is almost nothing landline providers can do to attract people unless society/culture shifts in some way to prefer landlines again, which doesn't seem likely.

Edited by PTVNews
  • Like 5

Here's an article about the new set in DC; Norah got a glimpse, but it's still under construction.   So I suppose the CBS Evening News is going to move to Washington next month sometime probably, if not the end of this month.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/10/19/cbs-evening-news-dc-studio-preview/

Edited by HearstArgyleFan90

It's weird because the previous FTN studio was perfectly serviceable for the Evening News and was only a year or so old - and IIRC Norah anchored EN from there a couple times and it looked really good.

On 10/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, PTVNews said:

Interesting idea to move the Evening News to a different time slot, but I'm not sure if it would be better. I imagine most people have heard the news of the day by that point, and are more interested in relaxing with entertainment content before bed, rather than news. I wonder what it would be like if primetime across the country moved from 7pm-10pm, local news 10-11pm, then network news at 11pm, with the late shows at 11:30pm?

An 11PM or otherwise late national news won't work - too many are in bed by that hour and it would probably need to be "edgy" to have a snowball's chance. What I do think would work is someone expanding their evening newscast to an hour each night, so there's more opportunity to produce and air stories with depth and not try to jam everything most of the public already knows into 90 second packages--basically put on a watered down 60 Minutes, but every night. That's basically what Scott Pelley's Evening News was, and even in a 30 minute slot it was excellent.

As the syndication market falters and more programming's coming in-house, I wonder what network would have the guts to try it. CBS, honestly, is a prime candidate. Their syndie arm just dropped the Insider and while Inside Edition filled the hole in a lot of markets, that time could absolutely be spent putting better content on the air. I bet plenty of station groups would love to not have to pay for another half-hour of programming for their stations.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

It's weird because the previous FTN studio was perfectly serviceable for the Evening News and was only a year or so old - and IIRC Norah anchored EN from there a couple times and it looked really good.

An 11PM or otherwise late national news won't work - too many are in bed by that hour and it would probably need to be "edgy" to have a snowball's chance. What I do think would work is someone expanding their evening newscast to an hour each night, so there's more opportunity to produce and air stories with depth and not try to jam everything most of the public already knows into 90 second packages--basically put on a watered down 60 Minutes, but every night. That's basically what Scott Pelley's Evening News was, and even in a 30 minute slot it was excellent.

As the syndication market falters and more programming's coming in-house, I wonder what network would have the guts to try it. CBS, honestly, is a prime candidate. Their syndie arm just dropped the Insider and while Inside Edition filled the hole in a lot of markets, that time could absolutely be spent putting better content on the air. I bet plenty of station groups would love to not have to pay for another half-hour of programming for their stations.

NBC wanted to experiment with expanding Nightly News from half-hour to full-hour back in the early 80s.  Those plans never materialized.  NYT article from 1981: https://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/20/arts/stations-board-passes-one-hour-nbc-news.html

If CBS were to expand from half-hour to full-hour, one of a couple scenarios would have to occur.  Easy scenario I could think of would be CBS (A) rescheduling daytime line-up...

The Price Is Right at 11AM eastern

The Young & The Restless at 1PM eastern

The Talk at 2PM eastern

The Bold & The Beautiful at 3PM eastern

CBS having the option of shorten Let's Make A Deal to half-hour, or cancel LMAD for either a new half-hour soap or expand B&B to full-hour.  Or if CBS wanted to move The Talk to 3PM eastern, and put B&B in 2PM eastern.  CBSEN air 6:30-7:30PM eastern or 7-8PM eastern.

(B) CBS convincing its affiliates to air hour-long CBSEN, and having O'Donnell personally visit each of the affiliates.

The only successful hour-long network evening news program would be PBS Newshour seen on most PBS member stations.  It would be interesting to see whether or not NBC would also want to revisit the hour-long Nightly News idea again, or if ABC could be thinking the same thing with World News Tonight.  Only time will tell.

• Like 2