Jump to content
Outage Alert! Software Upgrades this Weekend ×

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
24994J

CBS Evening News

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, mountainave said:

You said "no real ratings bump," referring to Norah's time at CBSEN, which during the reported ratings window was a whopping five days.

 

By the way, you said in your post, "...and that's exactly what they deserve."  Why do "they" "deserve" that?

Well isn't she being heralded by CBS' new leader to be the show's saving grace? It doesn't seem like it. Doesn't seem like the changes made at CTM are proving to be successful either.

 

It's what the entire leadership of CBS deserves because for years they've made talent the scapegoat for lackluster viewership figures instead of addressing format, content and structure of their programs. The one time they took a risk with their programming (in recent memory for me) resulted in a string of the most successful years their morning show has ever had. Barring any odd changes at ABC or NBC, Norah's entire CBSEN tenure will see the show parked firmly in 3rd place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AvidViewer said:

Looks like we just got our first glimpse of the new CBS Evening News set in Washington DC: 

 

 

7A2E1E0A-3643-41BD-902C-2191E4E5798F.png

 

I always suspected it would be the FTN set - barring staffing it makes you wonder why they didn't launch right from DC out of the gate.

 

8 hours ago, mountainave said:

It's been a week.

 

Given the short tenure of Jeff Glor vs. the expectations set for Norah, months and even weeks do matter here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Well isn't she being heralded by CBS' new leader to be the show's saving grace? It doesn't seem like it. Doesn't seem like the changes made at CTM are proving to be successful either.

 

It's what the entire leadership of CBS deserves because for years they've made talent the scapegoat for lackluster viewership figures instead of addressing format, content and structure of their programs. The one time they took a risk with their programming (in recent memory for me) resulted in a string of the most successful years their morning show has ever had. Barring any odd changes at ABC or NBC, Norah's entire CBSEN tenure will see the show parked firmly in 3rd place.

 

If you read the WSJ article I posted in this thread on July 12, you would have seen the following quote:

 

Quote

Will Ms. O’Donnell’s approach be enough to lift “CBS Evening News” from its perennial third-place ratings? Give her time, she says. “It’s our vision to be the No. 1 evening news broadcast, but it takes time for an audience to find you. That’s OK; we know it’ll be a slow build,” she says.

 

They (she, Zirinsky, and CBS management) obviously know that you don't win back millions of viewers in five days.  

 

 

You and others are missing the important point that Zirinsky did not appoint Jeff Glor to be host of CBSEN.  Zirinsky likely felt, ratings aside, that Glor was not a natural fit to anchor the show in the first place.  So, your repeated suggestion that CBS churns through talent because of bad ratings (a) is not supported by fact, and (b) glosses over the nuance that Scott Pelley was removed due to a personal dispute with Zirinsky's predecessor, and Jeff Glor was removed because he never belonged there in the first place.  

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mountainave said:

 

If you read the WSJ article I posted in this thread on July 12, you would have seen the following quote:

 

 

They (she, Zirinsky, and CBS management) obviously know that you don't win back millions of viewers in five days.  

 

 

You and others are missing the important point that Zirinsky did not appoint Jeff Glor to be host of CBSEN.  Zirinsky likely felt, ratings aside, that Glor was not a natural fit to anchor the show in the first place.  So, your repeated suggestion that CBS churns through talent because of bad ratings (a) is not supported by fact, and (b) glosses over the nuance that Scott Pelley was removed due to a personal dispute with Zirinsky's predecessor, and Jeff Glor was removed because he never belonged there in the first place.  

And Norah will be removed in another few years for reason X, Y, or Z. CBS’ daily news shows are unstable and have been for over a decade. That is not a recipe for success or resonance with viewers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I want to ride "Anchor Roomba"...

 

542878773_AnchorRoomba.png.ddaf58e8c92ae164ced75e0658b35177.png

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Eat News
[Making Film] (WJSN) - 'Boogie Up' .. https://youtu.be/4tLjzQSEaa0
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBSEN with Norah continues to do terrible. While this was never an easy fix, certainly they expected her to at least stop the bleeding? Seems like she's clocked in a few 100,000 viewers down from Jeff Glor so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

CBSEN with Norah continues to do terrible. While this was never an easy fix, certainly they expected her to at least stop the bleeding? Seems like she's clocked in a few 100,000 viewers down from Jeff Glor so far.

I mean, it is summer. Aren’t numbers expected to be down? Seems like an unfair comparison.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 2:36 AM, MorningNews said:

And Norah will be removed in another few years for reason X, Y, or Z. CBS’ daily news shows are unstable and have been for over a decade. That is not a recipe for success or resonance with viewers.

 

How about CBS has their O&O anchors rotate hosting the news?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I mean, it is summer. Aren’t numbers expected to be down? Seems like an unfair comparison.

 

That's not entirely true. A lot (ratings-wise) depends on what's happening in the U.S./Around the World.  Plus, bigger stories (Mass Shootings, Hurricane Dorian, etc..) often result in a larger than average viewership.

 

For example >>>  From Adweek/TVNewer:

 

'World News Tonight with David Muir has now finished as the most-watched evening newscast for 48 out of the past 49 weeks, and this past week (Week of August 26) increased its lead year-to-year total viewer advantage over NBC by +484% (vs. 181,000 for week of Aug. 27). World News also turned in its largest average total audience in four months, and its largest average adults 25-54 audience in 12 weeks.'

 

Having a change in anchors during the summer wasn't the smartest move for CEN. And Norah's inability to mask her distain for Trump isn't helping matters.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I mean, it is summer. Aren’t numbers expected to be down? Seems like an unfair comparison.

I considered that until looking at the evening broadcasts ratings and ABC WNN and NBC NN have remained steady or even gained viewers during a busy summer season. Additionally, Norah is down ~600,000 viewers compared to the same period last year despite a very busy news period. World News Tonight is flirting with 9 million viewers which is crazy for summer figures. Norah on the other hand is flirting with falling below 5 million. Her 

 

Nothing against Norah - I just don't think she's the right choice to lead the CBS EN. This broadcast is going on 30 years in 3rd place and while they haven't changed the outdated format/content of the show much, they have changed anchors 7 times over that same period. 

Edited by MorningNews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Chopper4 said:

I wonder if the move to Washington DC will stop the bleeding?

 

Nope!

This show is bleeding out fast...

Remember that uncle Walter used to play to 29 million viewers each evening. That was in 1976, and the population of the USA was only 200 million people.

 

Nora barely gets 5 million viewers per show.

 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/20/cbs-anchor-norah-odonnells-ratings-in-freefall/

 

Edited by Eat News
Twice-Fake and True .. https://youtu.be/zQELp93xxfo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt the move will change anything, Norah is just not anchor material. Hopefully these numbers continue trending downward until CBS decides to make real changes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eat News said:

 

Nope!

This show is bleeding out fast...

Remember that uncle Walter used to play to 29 million viewers each evening. That was in 1976, and the population of the USA was only 200 million people.

 

Nora barely gets 5 million viewers per show.

 

https://nypost.com/2019/10/20/cbs-anchor-norah-odonnells-ratings-in-freefall/

 

 Zirinsky, and CBS management need to go. I mean GO like yesterday! Walter and Dan had better ratings than this.  I'm not 100% if Katie Couric had good ratings. But I bet a bit better than Norah. What a sad day in CBSEN

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She has only been in this position for four months now. Substantial change doesn't happen overnight.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

 Zirinsky, and CBS management need to go. I mean GO like yesterday! Walter and Dan had better ratings than this.  I'm not 100% if Katie Couric had good ratings. But I bet a bit better than Norah. What a sad day in CBSEN

 

You guys are mentioning ratings from 10/15+ years ago. It's a different time now. Numbers are going to keep going down in this day and age. People don't watch Evening News broadcasts. Period.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

She has only been in this position for four months now. Substantial change doesn't happen overnight.

 

1 hour ago, kshow said:

 

You guys are mentioning ratings from 10/15+ years ago. It's a different time now. Numbers are going to keep going down in this day and age. People don't watch Evening News broadcasts. Period.

 

Suddenly ratings don't matter to the network that has gone through several anchors on both flagship programs in a decade. Norah will be gone in another year.

 

WNT hit 9 million viewers a few months ago and is hovering around where Charlie Gibson's numbers were. In fact, 11 years ago last week 7,610,000 viewers watched WNT compared to 8,227,000 viewers who watched last week. What you stated is simply not fact.

 

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-oct-13/22480/

Edited by MorningNews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Norah gets the boot, who do you think should anchor the CBS Evening News? IMO, I would pick... Shepard Smith.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

If Norah gets the boot, who do you think should anchor the CBS Evening News? IMO, I would pick... Shepard Smith.

I would too. Shep would be perfect for any high-power gig, but a CBS gig like Evening News would be his best career move, period.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question, if the CBS Evening News can't gain viewership and find stability, what if CBS moved it to a later time slot?

I'm thinking CTV National News, BBC News at 10, CBC The National, that kind of route. I'm sure local stations and ownership groups wouldn't like the idea but it would set CBS apart from everyone else and have national network news when other don't, basically no competition. I don't know the feasibility of it or how late local news would work with the Evening News being on later (say 10pm in every market?) but theoretically it could work based off the success of other networks around the world that do it. 

Edited by JRogotzke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JRogotzke said:

I have a question, if the CBS Evening News can't gain viewership and find stability, what if CBS moved it to a later time slot?

I'm thinking CTV National News, BBC News at 10, CBC The National, that kind of route. I'm sure local stations and ownership groups wouldn't like the idea but it would set CBS apart from everyone else and have national network news when other don't, basically no competition. I don't know the feasibility of it or how late local news would work with the Evening News being on later (say 10pm in every market?) but theoretically it could work based off the success of other networks around the world that do it. 

 

If it's at 11 pm (10 pm Central), the affiliates would likely scream at that thought. They would be forced to delay local news until 11:30 pm and it would bottle up everything else including late night shows. 

 

As for news in the 10 pm (9 pm CT) hour, CBS could make their national news a full hour (or have a nightly extra like a relocated 48 Hours or 60 Minutes) but that would cost CBS an hour of prime time. Would the ratings justify it though? What kind of ratings does CBS network TV get in that hour? That might be something really worth considering. CBS affiliates would be able to have a full hour newscast in the 6 pm hour in all time zones in that scenario.

Edited by GoldenShine9
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

If it's at 11 pm (10 pm Central), the affiliates would likely scream at that thought. They would be forced to delay local news until 11:30 pm and it would bottle up everything else.

 

As for news in the 10 pm (9 pm CT) hour, that would cost CBS an hour of prime time. Would the ratings justify it though? What kind of ratings does CBS network TV get in that hour?

I was thinking have it air at 10pm in every market. Who cares if it's from a few hours ago, it can always be updated if needed and they have the "western edition" it's the same thing they do now. Local news could come on at 10:30 in most markets unless they choose to have the EN on at 11 then local at 11:30. In terms of the 9pm ratings, the other night (10/21/19) CBS got 5.4M viewers. But they wouldn't need to eliminate any of the shows they have, just delay local news by 30 minuets. 

Edited by JRogotzke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF they were to ever move 'Evening News,' there's no way in hell an hour (or even 30 minutes) of primetime gets dumped. COULD they consider shifting it to 7 ET/6 CT? Sure, but I believe a station or two out east just ended longtime 6:30 local newscasts so they could carry 'EN' at it's normal airtime, likely at the network's recommendation. CBS isn't moving it anywhere. They'll cancel it altogether, before they reschedule.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JRogotzke said:

I have a question, if the CBS Evening News can't gain viewership and find stability, what if CBS moved it to a later time slot?

I'm thinking CTV National News, BBC News at 10, CBC The National, that kind of route. I'm sure local stations and ownership groups wouldn't like the idea but it would set CBS apart from everyone else and have national network news when other don't, basically no competition. I don't know the feasibility of it or how late local news would work with the Evening News being on later (say 10pm in every market?) but theoretically it could work based off the success of other networks around the world that do it. 

 

10 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

If it's at 11 pm (10 pm Central), the affiliates would likely scream at that thought. They would be forced to delay local news until 11:30 pm and it would bottle up everything else including late night shows. 

 

As for news in the 10 pm (9 pm CT) hour, CBS could make their national news a full hour (or have a nightly extra like a relocated 48 Hours or 60 Minutes) but that would cost CBS an hour of prime time. Would the ratings justify it though? What kind of ratings does CBS network TV get in that hour? That might be something really worth considering. CBS affiliates would be able to have a full hour newscast in the 6 pm hour in all time zones in that scenario.

 

1 minute ago, JRogotzke said:

I was thinking have it air at 10pm in every market. Who cares if it's from a few hours ago, it can always be updated if needed and they have the "western edition" it's the same thing they do now. Local news could come on at 10:30 in most markets unless they choose to have the EN on at 11 then local at 11:30. In terms of the 9pm CT ratings, the other night (10/21/19) CBS got 5.4M viewers. But they wouldn't need to eliminate any of the shows they have, just delay local news by 30 minuets. 

 

1 minute ago, 24994J said:

IF they were to ever move 'Evening News,' there's no way in hell an hour (or even 30 minutes) of primetime gets dumped. COULD they consider shifting it to 7 ET/6 CT? Sure, but I believe a station or two out east just ended longtime 6:30 local newscasts so they could carry 'EN' at it's normal airtime, likely at the network's recommendation. CBS isn't moving it anywhere. They'll cancel it altogether, before they reschedule.

I kind of don't see CBS wanting to repeat the mistake of filling 10PM hour Monday-Friday with CBS Evening News much like a decade ago how NBC filled 10PM hour Monday-Friday with Jay Leno's failed prime-time talk show.  Plus, I don't think CBS would want to cancel its news show anytime soon.

 

Things to remember is: (1) Many TV viewers have lost faith in local and national news organizations for a multitude of reasons.  (2) CBS has never fully recovered from the mid 90s affiliation switch, where CBS lost affiliates (in Atlanta, Austin, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Milwaukee, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay) to Fox, as well as additional switches that took place in Baltimore, Boston, Denver, Philly, Sacramento, and Salt Lake City about that same time.  (3) And whether it's Scott Pelley, or Jeff Glor, or Norah O'Donnell anchoring, or if CBS were to pick a name like Shephard Smith or Ann Curry, ratings aren't going to improve overnight.  This will take time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.