CBS Evening News

24994J

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

I would argue that an evening news program is best suited in DC versus NYC.

Not to derail, but I always though the true World News Tonight format of London/New York/Washington/Chicago was perfect, though it didn't really account well for the West Coast just because of satellites at the time, and then when everyone shifted to New York, East Coast Bias became too overwhelming. Then CNN bailed out of Atlanta (itself a developing city) once TW bought it, and lost its way to become another ECB outpost. DC is just way overcovered as it is.

Like the "TOM" problem of Canadian news where everything along the 401/A20 is over-covered to death and establishing a Vancouver evening news presence just hasn't worked, I'd love to see a true Western Edition, from Los Angeles. Maybe we'll get that this decade; they already have begun to air the Eastern feed live, so that seems like the next natural step.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2022 at 11:27 PM, mrschimpf said:

Not to derail, but I always though the true World News Tonight format of London/New York/Washington/Chicago was perfect, though it didn't really account well for the West Coast just because of satellites at the time, and then when everyone shifted to New York, East Coast Bias became too overwhelming. Then CNN bailed out of Atlanta (itself a developing city) once TW bought it, and lost its way to become another ECB outpost. DC is just way overcovered as it is.

Like the "TOM" problem of Canadian news where everything along the 401/A20 is over-covered to death and establishing a Vancouver evening news presence just hasn't worked, I'd love to see a true Western Edition, from Los Angeles. Maybe we'll get that this decade; they already have begun to air the Eastern feed live, so that seems like the next natural step.

I remember when CBS broadcast the Weekend News from Los Angeles during Adriana Diaz's maternity leave.

If broadcasters in the west adopt live broadcasting from the east, it should be a matter of time before broadcasters create a television news broadcast from Los Angeles, for example, to the entire west coast.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, mrschimpf said:

I really wish someone would, but I have a hard time seeing anyone doing it any time soon. The networks aren't going to bother with a second full production when they can insert segments into the east coast-produced shows. Out of the big station groups, Nexstar is the only one that has enough non-big-3 affiliates to make it work but I think they're too busy trying to push NewsNation to try anything else.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

I feel like I'm back in 1999 when The Early Show started putting their logo in unrealistic places by their Fifth Avenue cameras.

image.thumb.png.337a4abea7a05cb8abb07d6897122fa0.png

Hate it. What is it supposed to be anyway? A balcony? So confused.

8 minutes ago, kshow said:

Hate it. What is it supposed to be anyway? A balcony? So confused.

I was trying to figure that out, too. At first I thought they wanted us to believe that Norah and company would be hanging out in there. But I have a feeling it will show results. I guess if NBC and Fox News can make it look like they are projecting election results on their NYC buildings, CBS has to, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, Tyler said:

I would argue that an evening news program is best suited in DC versus NYC.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:27 PM, mrschimpf said:

Not to derail x2, but how did NYC come to be the center of national broadcast news?

• 2 months later...

Katie Couric's book has been out for a while now and I just got around to reading the chapters about her time at CBS (which she didn't enjoy). Aside from citing sexism, she seems pretty dumbfounded about what exactly went wrong during her tenure. I think it was the shift to softer news and the Katie's Notebook/Talk Back op-ed segments for starters. Largely, it was the belief that her popularity in the mornings would translate to the evenings. Thoughts? 

Comparibly, I don't recall Diane Sawyer's nightly run being as criticized though. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I think it was the shift to softer news and the Katie's Notebook/Talk Back op-ed segments for starters.

I don't know why people liked Diane Sawyer more than Katie Couric, the CBS Evening News in it's later years shifted to serious news and I thought she did a good job but others were like... eh.

plus CBS was trying too hard to look for the next Walker Cronkite when they should of been working on delivering a fine news product.

those are my thoughts anyways.

• Like 2

I did definitely notice a shift to more serious content towards the end.

Sometimes Katie came off a bit snotty like when she told Britney Spears "I told you to stop calling me ma'am" or the Ann Coulter interview. It also seemed like sometimes Katie let her political bias is bleed into her interviewing. 

Maybe it was because Diane had a long career before the morning time which allowed people to accept her in an evening role?

Edited by iron_lion

Did not see that one coming at all. She seemed to be in the running, along with Amy, for ascension to Robin’s chair once that eventually opens up. Her latest ABC contract made her the Friday co-anchor as Robin doesn’t work on Fridays.

Good for her and CBS.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Did not see that one coming at all. She seemed to be in the running, along with Amy, for ascension to Robin’s chair once that eventually opens up. Her latest ABC contract made her the Friday co-anchor as Robin doesn’t work on Fridays.

Good for her and CBS.

Well Linsey Davis could be a good successor, to Robin's seat. But that if Roberts decide to throw in the towel.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t hate it, don’t hate it all. I actually quite liked that. It’s similar to WNT with the flare of CBS Mornings’ Eye Opener. Doubt it moves the needle at all but I do like it.

And the music continues to be one of the few bright spots about CBSEN.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alaskanews said:

Looks like CBS just got consultant-bombed. This new opening sequence is an absolute disaster. If this is supposed to hook viewers it did the opposite to me. I wanted to turn away 

I’ve gotta hand it to CBS. They took a clean, cohesive intro and managed to make even that look cheap.

Also, why do they insist on repeating the same 9 notes of the theme music before every headline in this new intro? It’s repetitive and annoying.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, alaskanews said:

Looks like CBS just got consultant-bombed. This new opening sequence is an absolute disaster. If this is supposed to hook viewers it did the opposite to me. I wanted to turn away 

This is how you give viewers whiplash, ladies and gentlemen.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, newseider said:

You beat me to finding it, I remember this. I’ve missed it. I think at one point they moved it to the end of the show.

Sorry. To be honest, I think doing this is great to help bring unity and connection between the two top CBS News shows, and bring a mini newscast for people who don't want to watch too long, but still at least get the information needed in a world where now an AI robot can give it to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I don’t hate it, don’t hate it all. I actually quite liked that. It’s similar to WNT with the flare of CBS Mornings’ Eye Opener. Doubt it moves the needle at all but I do like it.

And the music continues to be one of the few bright spots about CBSEN.

In theory I don't hate the idea of an evening version of the Eye Opener, but in execution this was chaotic and cheap looking, IMO. The 2018 version shared above felt better executed than this.

• Like 4

What i hate about all the evening newscasts (WNT, NN, EN) is that they all feel so rushed. From the opens, to the stories, the bumpers, everything. It's like watching at 2X speed of normal. I'd wish they'd slow down and let the stories breath instead of cramming as much into 20 min as possible.

• Like 4