CBS Evening News

24994J

14 hours ago, SS8609 said:

This is definitely spot on. It's not going to necessarily boost their ratings, but to bring back the fanfare (as ABC did during pre-vax COVID and as NBC will always have even after John Williams is gone) is golden.

Then by your logic, CBS should do one for KTVT with the red and star accents...

Too bad the cbs theme is pretty vacant sounding compared to the other two.  So boring sounding compared to the other two.  The best version was the bombastic arrangement during the later Rather years, that was pretty pretty good.

4 hours ago, tjt24 said:

That's really one of the only ways they are lol. They do well in the ratings, but other than that, there isn't all that much that's special about them. 

Same across the board, local TV is so homogenized-- more than ever.

Edited by Superdude
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/26/2022 at 8:02 PM, wabceyewitness said:

Did you also criticize David Muir when he wasn’t there the last time ABC used the old “World News” name and theme?

David Muir ratings are nearly double or triple Norah’s ratings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Superdude said:

Too bad the cbs theme is pretty vacant sounding compared to the other two.  So boring sounding compared to the other two.  The best version was the bombastic arrangement during the later Rather years, that was pretty pretty good.

I keep hoping that they decide to bring that back instead of the 87 version. It's got so much more energy.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ATLNewsExpert said:

Ehh they better fix that and quick 

Looks like they already did, a different hour of it ended with this insteadimage.thumb.png.39374d539ae98141939ddde93524bb2f.png

Also my local station KMOV airs like 20 minutes of Overnight News "in progress", cuts to an exact recording of the Evening News with their graphics and exact ad break from earlier in the day, then cuts back to Overnight "in progress" so I didn't even see any parts with Norah actually branded as Overnight News.
image.thumb.png.a474c42567630d505cbbfcb77c0c0b23.png

image.thumb.png.84a2376fe3240c2003a67d8eb8bc87c5.png

Edited by bgiesing

Big improvement! Love the return to it's roots theme, taking a great page from ABC! Hopefully the late era Rather theme makes a comeback one day. 

The L3's are horrendus but the dark theme for the video walls is great, especially considering how bright and washed out newscasts and daytime tv looks with HD these days.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 5

I feel a lot of NBC inspiration here (much how CBSTM seems an exact inspiration of CNN). It's a very clean and polished look with just enough flare that it gets your attention. Subtle and not in your face.

If only ABC would get their act together and update WNT...

• Like 6

On 8/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, bgiesing said:

Some other pictures from them
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Also it's confirmed the new music remix is by AntFood, the same people who designed the new CBS Mnemonic. No more Man Made Music.

I like the virtual newsroom looks in the corner. The dark tones give it some versatility. The wooden tones make me think there in a wooden set so did the loop of the newsroom.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Superdude said:

You're referring to the 1991-2006 version composed by Patterson, Walz and Fox. That was a DAMN GOOD version. I hope they bring back that version with a twist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

You're referring to the 1991-2006 version composed by Patterson, Walz and Fox. That was a DAMN GOOD version. I hope they bring back that version with a twist.

It’s such a great theme and they’ve now brought the great 1988 theme back twice that the news buff in me wishes they’d resurrect the 91-06 theme at some point. It’s one of the best news pieces ever. Side point but man has Rather managed to rehabilitate his image from the time at the end of his CBS run.

• Like 4

What strikes me the most about all of this is how traditional it all looks. Solid royal blue everywhere, restrained design elements, and an orchestral theme that's refreshed but still light on contemporary touches. The newscast itself is pretty sober with an offering of all the meat and potatoes news of the day.

This show feels more in line with what it was like during the later Rather or early Pelley eras. Funny how every time CBS tries to shake up the Evening News, they always eventually go back to a pretty traditional presentation and newscast format. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, C Block said:

What strikes me the most about all of this is how traditional it all looks. Solid royal blue everywhere, restrained design elements, and an orchestral theme that's refreshed but still light on contemporary touches. The newscast itself is pretty sober with an offering of all the meat and potatoes news of the day.

This show feels more in line with what it was like during the later Rather or early Pelley eras. Funny how every time CBS tries to shake up the Evening News, they always eventually go back to a pretty traditional presentation and newscast format. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. 

The only time in the last decade+ ratings went up.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 10:52 PM, C Block said:

This show feels more in line with what it was like during the later Rather or early Pelley eras. Funny how every time CBS tries to shake up the Evening News, they always eventually go back to a pretty traditional presentation and newscast format.

I resonate with this sentiment very strongly. I still remember in 2016 when they really tried to hype up their new orchestral theme when Pelley was still there. The effort to freshen the newscast's theme felt very try-hard, but I also really liked the orchestral theme as a piece by itself, which they then hastily ditched in the original form as fast as they ditched Pelley (what a mess). [Reference video for the hype piece]

Ah, nostalgia; companies are just like us, as indecisive as ever. And now we're back to where we basically started.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Vidifont said:

The CBS Weekend News from the Broadcast Center looks so more refreshing than the plasitc show Norah puts on. Just close that studio and bring everybody back to New York. It's a waste of money and time. It also lends credibility.

As long as Norah helms the weeknight newscasts, don't ever expect CBS Evening News to leave DC. The only reason EN is there in the first place is because DC is where Norah lives.

Edit: I should note CBS News has almost always been in DC with a bureau there, so it's not as if they moved in to DC just for Norah.

Edited by ActionTV27
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Vidifont said:

The CBS Weekend News from the Broadcast Center looks so more refreshing than the plasitc show Norah puts on. Just close that studio and bring everybody back to New York. It's a waste of money and time. It also lends credibility.

Being in Washington gives the EN even more credibility than if they were in NYC, I’d argue. For one, it’s in the world’s most powerful city.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:39 PM, MorningNews said:

It’s such a great theme and they’ve now brought the great 1988 theme back twice that the news buff in me wishes they’d resurrect the 91-06 theme at some point. It’s one of the best news pieces ever. Side point but man has Rather managed to rehabilitate his image from the time at the end of his CBS run.

Have you heard this guy's recreation on YT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n94DLb9ND6M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Being in Washington gives the EN even more credibility than if they were in NYC, I’d argue. For one, it’s in the world’s most powerful city.

I remember back in 90s Carole Simpson would Anchor World News On the Weekends from Washington. 

I think Each Network should have a least one Newscast originating from DC; there’s too

much News in that City to not have a Flagship Newscast. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NYPhillynews said:

I remember back in 90s Carole Simpson would Anchor World News On the Weekends from Washington. 

I think Each Network should have a least one Newscast originating from DC; there’s too

much News in that City to not have a Flagship Newscast. 

Well, the networks already have a newscast of sorts running from D.C.--all the sunday talk shows--and Andrea Mitchell hosts her MSNBC hour from there too. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ActionTV27 said:

As long as Norah helms the weeknight newscasts, don't ever expect CBS Evening News to leave DC. The only reason EN is there in the first place is because DC is where Norah lives.

Edit: I should note CBS News has almost always been in DC with a bureau there, so it's not as if they moved in to DC just for Norah.

I would argue that an evening news program is best suited in DC versus NYC.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1