CBS Evening News

24994J

There are a few parts of the newscast where CBS is copying (or if you prefer, taking inspiration from) ABC. They didn’t air a single commercial until 14 minutes in, and that commercial (for a pharmaceutical, of course) was accompanied by a headline banner. In addition, Robert Costa’s opening story relied heavily on quick soundbites, fast cuts, zoom effects, and the obligatory “Breaking News” banner, all hallmarks of modern-day ABC News.

I’m not sure if any of these adjustments were in place before today, and the rest of the stories felt like they were from a CBS newscast, but I couldn’t help noticing some close similarities to David Muir’s newscast.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

There are a few parts of the newscast where CBS is copying (or if you prefer, taking inspiration from) ABC. They didn’t air a single commercial until 14 minutes in, and that commercial (for a pharmaceutical, of course) was accompanied by a headline banner. In addition, Robert Costa’s opening story relied heavily on quick soundbites, fast cuts, zoom effects, and the obligatory “Breaking News” banner, all hallmarks of modern-day ABC News.

I’m not sure if any of these adjustments were in place before today, and the rest of the stories felt like they were from a CBS newscast, but I couldn’t help noticing some close similarities to David Muir’s newscast.

CBS has been doing the late commercial and 60 second commercial thing for a few weeks now. 

• Like 2

This is definitely spot on. It's not going to necessarily boost their ratings, but to bring back the fanfare (as ABC did during pre-vax COVID and as NBC will always have even after John Williams is gone) is golden.

2 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I want a black and gold version of this for KDKA-TV please. Please CBS. 

Then by your logic, CBS should do one for KTVT with the red and star accents...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kenneth Kissel said:

Why do people hate the odd color that KDKA has for their graphics. I don't get it. BTW, I actually would love if CBS did a Texas theme for KTVT.

KDKA. Is. Not. Special.

Whenever a new group-wide package debuts, they'll get the same thing as everyone else, and they'll be better off, for it. Besides, while I understand the civic pride, the black and gold look they have is downright unsightly for any coverage not pertaining to the Pens, Pirates, or Steelers.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Big upgrade. I'm a fan of the on-screen graphics, in-studio graphics, and the new music.

I'm not a huge fan of the large show bug but that seems to be everywhere now. I guess that box's size was dictated by the streaming service to fit the horizontal "CBS NEWS" logo but I wish they could have made it smaller.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Why do people hate the odd color that KDKA has for their graphics? I don't get it.     BTW, I actually would love if CBS did a Red and blue Texas theme for KTVT.

18 minutes ago, 24994J said:

KDKA. Is. Not. Special.

Whenever a new group-wide package debuts, they'll get the same thing as everyone else, and they'll be better off, for it. Besides, while I understand the civic pride, the black and gold look they have is downright unsightly for any coverage not pertaining to the Pens, Pirates, or Steelers.

No offense, but I don’t get why either of you is so passionate either way about KDKA’s color scheme. I don’t think KDKA will tank in the ratings depending on whether they go with a standard set of graphics or change some colors around. Besides, it’s not like they’re filling the screen with fuchsia (although I suppose I shouldn’t give people ideas).

To get back on topic, despite the twinkle effect in the intro and the large horizontal bug, this is the best the Evening News has looked in a long time. For once, they beat out the other networks’ graphics. ABC could certainly use a similar upgrade.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Our good friends over at The Other Site have the new open, and speaking of new music... CBS is bringing back the music from '87, albeit slightly remixed.

They did an excellent job tweaking the 1987 theme.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

I’m not a fan of the black and gold graphics but when it comes to ratings—compared to WCBS, KCBS, and WBBM—KDKA is special.

That's really one of the only ways they are lol. They do well in the ratings, but other than that, there isn't all that much that's special about them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Big upgrade. I'm a fan of the on-screen graphics, in-studio graphics, and the new music.

I'm not a huge fan of the large show bug but that seems to be everywhere now. I guess that box's size was dictated by the streaming service to fit the horizontal "CBS NEWS" logo but I wish they could have made it smaller.

First of all, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ilham, and i love remaking broadcast design (especially News design) in a free time. And speaking of CBS Evening News design, i remaking the CBS Evening News Lower Third with a smaller box size as a form of visualization of your thoughts (and my thoughts too). 

(*Also i added a news ticker that heavily taken from CBS News Streaming Service news ticker because why not)

my take on CBSEN L3's.png

• Like 1