CBS Evening News

24994J

From Brian Stelter's Reliable Sources newsletter: Norah O'Donnell renews with CBS News

"CBS Evening News" anchor Norah O'Donnell has renewed with the network through the 2024 election and beyond, Puck's Dylan Byers reported Friday night. He pointed out that O'Donnell, whose deal was coming due, has been subjected to "endless industry gossip." This news should put it to rest for a while, at least. A person with knowledge of the matter confirmed the deal. A network rep did not immediately respond to a request for comment. This news comes on the heels of Gayle Kingrenewing at "CBS Mornings" and Robert Costa joining the network...

The link to the story referenced in the newsletter: https://puck.news/norah-odonnell-makes-her-next-career-move/ 

Edited by froyo49
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, froyo49 said:

From Brian Stelter's Reliable Sources newsletter: Norah O'Donnell renews with CBS News

The link to the story referenced in the newsletter: https://puck.news/norah-odonnell-makes-her-next-career-move/ 

I'm surprised as well. Good luck continuing to be in 3rd place CBS as I continue to watch David Muir and Lester Holt. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I'm actually surprised by this.

I think they realize that no matter who they brought in as a replacement, it wasn't going to lift them out of third place. It makes sense to continue to strengthen the CBS News brand and devote both time and resources to that effort rather than trying to find yet another anchor for CBSEN. Sometimes you have to resign yourself to certain things (at least for the time being).  

Edited by jase
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, jase said:

I think they realize that no matter who they brought in as a replacement, it wasn't going to lift them out of third place. It makes sense to continue to strengthen the CBS News brand and devote both time and resources to that effort rather than trying to find yet another anchor for CBSEN. Sometimes you have to resign yourself to certain things (at least for the time being).  

Constantly changing the anchors isn't ideal, but I can also understand the mindset of "We can pay someone much less to keep us in third place."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geojustiniano said:

Today, Lester and David were anchoring their respective evening news shows from Brooklyn while Norah stayed in Washington. 

Doing your show from the nation's capital has some advantages... You main anchor stationed there when news breaks in America's largest city isn't one of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, geojustiniano said:

Today, Lester and David were anchoring their respective evening news shows from Brooklyn while Norah stayed in Washington. 

Does a shooting where no one even suffered life-threatening injuries really warrant national anchors on the scene? Sometimes events in New York get treated with exaggerated importance simply because it seems so much bigger to the entire staff.

I was working at at station one night when there was a minor car accident outside the front of the building during our newscast. People in the newsroom got excited and sent a photographer down there because they wanted video on the air as soon as possible. In the minutes that followed, cooler heads prevailed and it was determined that it shouldn't even register as a story.

Clearly a subway shooting is a much larger story but I think network producers based in New York need to take a breath.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

Does anyone think the CBS Evening News is prerecorded? Look at the clock on this picture. 4:30 PM? 

Screenshot_20220413-001426.jpg

portions of all network evening newscasts are pre-recorded, including headlines and some anchor interviews with experts, newsmakers and correspondents. 

14 hours ago, geojustiniano said:

it’s great that Lester and David made it to the scene, but it didn’t add to or take away from coverage by the anchor being there or not. 

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 4

On 4/13/2022 at 8:28 AM, Geoffrey said:

Does a shooting where no one even suffered life-threatening injuries really warrant national anchors on the scene? Sometimes events in New York get treated with exaggerated importance simply because it seems so much bigger to the entire staff.

I was working at at station one night when there was a minor car accident outside the front of the building during our newscast. People in the newsroom got excited and sent a photographer down there because they wanted video on the air as soon as possible. In the minutes that followed, cooler heads prevailed and it was determined that it shouldn't even register as a story.

Clearly a subway shooting is a much larger story but I think network producers based in New York need to take a breath.

I get this pov. I will say that the idea of a mass shooting/smoke bombing in the NYC Subway, the climax of years of being dangerous, is what drew the national hype. Add a manhunt to that and it's the perfect storm for media hype. International stations like 9 Australia were covering it. I even had relatives calling me from out of state to check to see if everything was alright.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

That reminds me of what happened at WLS-TV in Chicago more than 15 years ago when a car plowed into street-level studio sending Ravi Benchwal into a panic.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TheRob said:

New York Post article on O'Donnell (CBS denies they were looking to replace O'Donnell)

https://nypost.com/2022/06/02/norah-odonnells-salary-slashed-by-more-than-half-at-cbs-evening-news/

Paramount can deny it all they want but CBS was trying to replace Norah because Norah is terrible at doing the CBS Evening News. Ratings haven't been this bad since Dan Rather was at the network. Even Katie Couric had better ratings as the anchor then Norah has now.  There is a reason why morale is at an all time low at CBS, it starts with Norah and ends with her too. 

• Like 6

I guess when you have a penny-pinching, micro-managing boss, an alleged narcissist as your chief anchor, and friction between the two, that doesn’t translate to high ratings or a good product. The relationship between O’Donnell and CBS News seems to be a marriage of convenience, and a dysfunctional one at that.

• Like 6

All the replies above this are spot on, couldn’t say it better. 
I think the gem of this article is: “As previously reported by The Post, O’Donnell’s predecessor Jeff Glor was making a modest $2 million.”

So Jeff did it for $2M, they fired him, signed Norah for $8M for the same result, now have Norah at $3.8M. Seems like Jeff really got screwed. 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, jrogo said:

All the replies above this are spot on, couldn’t say it better. 
I think the gem of this article is: “As previously reported by The Post, O’Donnell’s predecessor Jeff Glor was making a modest $2 million.”

So Jeff did it for $2M, they fired him, signed Norah for $8M for the same result, now have Norah at $3.8M. Seems like Jeff really got screwed. 

Imho, CBS screwed themselves more than they screwed Jeff. One can argue that Jeff somehow has the better end of the deal today. He works almost exclusively on Saturday mornings with a good cohort of people, and might even get another shot at the big chair down the road if/when CBS decides to fill its ranks with people who know what the hell they’re doing. In the meantime, he can sit comfortably knowing that he’s not involved with this current fiasco.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Imho, CBS screwed themselves more than they screwed Jeff. One can argue that Jeff somehow has the better end of the deal today. He works almost exclusively on Saturday mornings with a good cohort of people, and might even get another shot at the big chair down the road if/when CBS decides to fill its ranks with people who know what the hell they’re doing. In the meantime, he can sit comfortably knowing that he’s not involved with this current fiasco.

Jeff could do so much better if he was with NBC or ABC. We saw it with Tom Llamas when he switched from ABC to NBC. I could also see Jeff Glor do what Russ Mitchell did with WKYC. There are still stations that will hire network talent for the right price.