CBS Evening News

24994J

7 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m not sure why people keep mentioning Scott Pelley. He had 7 years to move the needle and did nothing. I’m sorry to burst your bubbles, but to the general viewing public, he sucked. You don’t become recognizable by being put in that chair, but you get put in that chair because you’re recognizable.

I’ve said this a million times, CBS’s bench isn’t that great. ABC and NBC know how to groom their talent. 

this 💯

NBC has Savannah Guthrie, Tom Llamas & Jose Diaz-Balart on standby, not to mention Craig Melvin for Today. 

ABC has Lindsey Davis, Whit Johnson and George Stephanopoulos on ice, even Terry Moran is a suitable host for WNT. Add TJ Holmes as a great "spare heir" for GMA. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I’m not sure why people keep mentioning Scott Pelley. He had 7 years to move the needle and did nothing. I’m sorry to burst your bubbles, but to the general viewing public, he sucked. You don’t become recognizable by being put in that chair, but you get put in that chair because you’re recognizable.

I’ve said this a million times, CBS’s bench isn’t that great. ABC and NBC know how to groom their talent. 

I get your point here but CBS has been the #3 evening newscast since the mid-1980s shortly after Dan Rather (undoubtedly a recognizable star) took the helm. I certainly don’t think Scott Pelley “sucked” and the network having been in the same spot it’s been in for 40 years is not an indication of one anchor sucking, more so that the network itself has failed to captivate audiences.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, NYTV said:

According to both the New York Post and FTVLive, Norah O'Donnell's Evening News tenure may end soon.

FTVLive, reporting on March 10 and citing an internal source that CBS may "downplay" her role at the network

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/3/10/norah-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-ukraine

And now on the 11th, the NY Post reports that her alleged attitude may not be helping the situation

https://nypost.com/2022/03/11/norah-odonnells-attitude-under-fire-at-cbs-evening-news/

As I said before, the fact that the newscast has not switched over to the new standard CBS font while the CBS Weekend News has was a sign that Norah's days were numbered.....

Edited by hmaxhanson
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

Ratings were up modestly during his tenure (after the very recognizable Katie Couric). Do I think he was poised to take the newscast above #3? Of course not. But they should've left him alone until they found a better option, which they still haven't.

Edited by mark
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I get your point here but CBS has been the #3 evening newscast since the mid-1980s shortly after Dan Rather (undoubtedly a recognizable star) took the helm. I certainly don’t think Scott Pelley “sucked” and the network having been in the same spot it’s been in for 40 years is not an indication of one anchor sucking, more so that the network itself has failed to captivate audiences.

Just now, mark said:

Ratings were up modestly during his tenure. Do I think he was poised to take the newscast above #3? Of course not. But they should've left him alone until they found a better option, which they still haven't.

Stop making excuses for Pelley. He just wasn’t that good. I get you guys appreciate his style of anchoring, but he clearly didn’t resonate with most viewers. Yes, the problem is bigger than just the anchors. A lot of the bigger affiliates are also 3rd, leading to a poor lead in. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Stop making excuses for Pelley. He just wasn’t that good. I get you guys appreciate his style of anchoring, but he clearly didn’t resonate with most viewers. Yes, the problem is bigger than just the anchors. A lot of the bigger affiliates are also 3rd, leading to a poor lead in. 

Alrighty then. I'll go ahead and tap out of this discussion. 

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 5:25 PM, lugnuts6 said:

Another question, should they dump Norah, do they move back to NY ,and do they go outside the bench and snap up someone from the O&Os or someone from the national cable news nets

Yes to 1 and 3.

Broken record but: Shep Smith, Bri Wi or (iffy choice) Chris Wallace or Ann Curry. Radical choices: George Stephanopolus (not that success elsewhere would necessarily translate to CBS as we saw with Katie Couric), or even Wolf Blitzer. Any other names I'd have to think more about. 

Perhaps CBS getting big names needs to extend to other broadcasts such as Mornings alongside Gayle. 

Maybe the goal at this stage shouldn't be to get out of third place but at least inch the numbers up and be competitive (assuming they're not already "compeditive").  Similarly if CBS Mornings were to be canceled tomorrow and replaced, I'm sure the broadcast would still be third because GMA and Today  have what CBS's AM slot lacks --- name brand recognition from longevity.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mark said:

Ratings were up modestly during his tenure (after the very recognizable Katie Couric). Do I think he was poised to take the newscast above #3? Of course not. But they should've left him alone until they found a better option, which they still haven't.

(unintentionally came out as two separate posts)

IMO Bob Schiffer should have stayed on until his retirement in 2015. 

We can go on to eternity as to what anchor might bring CBS to the promised land. Besides changing who anchors the show, what other changes can be made to CBSEN to make it a better program. Formatting, graphics, theme music, story choice, presentation, reporter and correspondant roster? 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

We can go on to eternity as to what anchor might bring CBS to the promised land. Besides changing who anchors the show, what other changes can be made to CBSEN to make it a better program. Formatting, graphics, theme music, story choice, presentation, reporter and correspondant roster? 

Lead In. We know that in major markets that CBS is not first with even local newscasts (we have data for Chicago, Minnesota, et al on another thread) We can assume that CBS is not winning in other major markets (NYC, LA, DFW, the list goes on) and that does not help.

Even in markets where CBS does well with news (WCCO, for example says they have #1 from 5-7 Central) the viewer is a creature of habit- what stops them from switching to GMA or Today at 7am?CBS not only needs to provide quality programming but also burdened with providing such good programming that the viewer breaks their normal habits. Same sentiment translates to CBSEN.

• Like 1

Given the gossip about toxic workplaces being leaked to the New York media, it's kind of a funny coincidence Norah O'Donnell's "Ted Lasso" story aired tonight.

O'Donnell: "Kindness and positivity can be transformative"

Sudeikis: "And so can the opposite."

• Like 1

Ratings at CBS O&Os in the largest markets and at affiliates where it counts have lagged for decades. With a few exceptions, ABC and NBC just have stronger large market stations. The gutting of CBS on the news side started under Larry Tisch and has been a running theme for 30+ years. The Great FOX Station Swap of ‘94-‘95 only made things worse. Channel 62 in Detroit, anyone? When it comes to news, CBSViacom, er Paramount, either has to fix it, sell it, or close it. A perennially third-place product means it you’re forever doing just enough to stay afloat, throwing evening news talent overboard, tightening every budget screw so you don’t sink. But it’s exhausting and no way to live.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, newseider said:

Whatever they do can they please stop saying "If you can't watch live, set your DVR's" at the end of every broadcast. Even the fill in anchors are forced to say it. It's just embarrassing they still say this.  

A better signoff would be "If you can't watch us live, stream us at 10:30/9:30 central on CBS News Streaming".

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 5

On 3/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Georgie56 said:

A better signoff would be "If you can't watch us live, stream us at 10:30/9:30 central on CBS News Streaming".

Sure, that sounds better, but those are two different asks.  If people DVR the broadcast it contributes to the program's ratings.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2022 at 12:56 PM, mountainave said:

Sure, that sounds better, but those are two different asks.  If people DVR the broadcast it contributes to the program's ratings.

Only if they actually watch it though, right? I DVR a lot of news programs but only watch a select few. I do so just in case I hear of something of interest that happened on one, I can go back and look for it.

Shep Smith filled in for Lester Holt on Fri over on NBC. I wonder if this may open CBS's eyes as to his capabilities?

Ideally since Bri Wi is apparently disinterested in returning to evenings, if CBS could get him, it might work to put him on Mornings with Gayle *alongside Norah* and have Shep handle evenings.

But again, alot more than anchor line ups will have to change at CBS.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Don’t see that happening. Norah (not many anchors frankly, but especially Norah) likely wouldn’t stick around long at the place that demoted her from the principle role. Part of that is also the network’s desire to hide “failed” anchors by reducing their contribution levels.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Georgie56 said:

They could also force the western stations (specifically the O&Os) to broadcast the east coast live at 3:30pm. I know KPIX does it, That could increase ratings.

Edited by Gavin M.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

CBS Evening News recently ran a story that aired over a month ago on CBS Mornings, offered no update and even trimmed it down from its original package. 

more from FTV Live: 

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/3/24/recycling-the-news-at-cbs

I wish there was a “disgusted” reaction on this site.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 7:37 PM, Jornado said:

I honestly think if they wanted Jane Pauley, they would've done that awhile back (I recall her doing the evening news for a day or two after Scott Pelly left the show).

Deborah Norville is possible. Mary Calvi I've always seen as a potential replacement for Deborah, wether or wether or not that would happen.

However, I think CBS is eyeing a younger face I've noticed lately. Which could play in how they're picking.

I honestly think they're eyeing Tony Dokoupil as a replacement for her. Personally, I'd like to see either Tony or Anthony Mason as anchor. 

If they put Tony on the show, they have endless opportunities as to who can replace him on Mornings'.

I think you took my post out of context. I wasn’t suggesting Pauley or Norville head to the EN. I was quoting someone who mentioned the numerous talent that has gone from NBC (specifically Today) to CBS, and was adding those two names.

23 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I think you took my post out of context. I wasn’t suggesting Pauley or Norville head to the EN. I was quoting someone who mentioned the numerous talent that has gone from NBC (specifically Today) to CBS, and was adding those two names.

Oops. Apologies. I must have read it wrong.