CBS Evening News

24994J

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Not sure this is accurate. CBS Saturday Mornings has topped Saturday Today but has yet to beat Weekend GMA who is #1.

Ok with Three exceptions (also have to add 60 Minutes and CBS Sunday Morning) but every one of the weekday CBS News Programming is in third place. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Report: Brian Williams turns down CBS Evening News. Looks like the writing could be on the wall for Norah. 

All this during contract talks with Norah and CBS...yikes! But this is definitely not surprising from CBS. The Evening News is like a death sentence for journalist. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

Report: Brian Williams turns down CBS Evening News. Looks like the writing could be on the wall for Norah. 

More writing on the wall- that shiny new Studio 57 set can probably make for an easy move for CBSEN back to NYC

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

More writing on the wall- that shiny new Studio 57 set can probably make for an easy move for CBSEN back to NYC

The fact that they have not changed over to the new standard CBS font (They're still using the slightly extended version from when Jeff Glor took over back in 2017) yet the CBS Weekend News already has, may also be a sign of Norahs days being numbered.....

Edited by hmaxhanson

Recall that Khemlani's charge was to cut costs across the division.  It would not surprise me if this were a sly but effective tactic by CBS in Norah's contract renegotiation to suggest to her that she is dispensable, in an effort to counter her request for more money.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

According to both the New York Post and FTVLive, Norah O'Donnell's Evening News tenure may end soon.

FTVLive, reporting on March 10 and citing an internal source that CBS may "downplay" her role at the network

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/3/10/norah-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-ukraine

And now on the 11th, the NY Post reports that her alleged attitude may not be helping the situation

https://nypost.com/2022/03/11/norah-odonnells-attitude-under-fire-at-cbs-evening-news/

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 9:15 PM, TVNewsLover said:

Don’t forget Jane Pauley (Sunday Morning) and Deborah Norville (Inside Edition, part of CBS’s production arm).

I honestly think if they wanted Jane Pauley, they would've done that awhile back (I recall her doing the evening news for a day or two after Scott Pelly left the show).

Deborah Norville is possible. Mary Calvi I've always seen as a potential replacement for Deborah, wether or wether or not that would happen.

However, I think CBS is eyeing a younger face I've noticed lately. Which could play in how they're picking.

I honestly think they're eyeing Tony Dokoupil as a replacement for her. Personally, I'd like to see either Tony or Anthony Mason as anchor. 

If they put Tony on the show, they have endless opportunities as to who can replace him on Mornings'.

Edited by Jornado

3 hours ago, NYTV said:

According to both the New York Post and FTVLive, Norah O'Donnell's Evening News tenure may end soon.

FTVLive, reporting on March 10 and citing an internal source that CBS may "downplay" her role at the network

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2022/3/10/norah-is-nowhere-to-be-seen-in-ukraine

And now on the 11th, the NY Post reports that her alleged attitude may not be helping the situation

https://nypost.com/2022/03/11/norah-odonnells-attitude-under-fire-at-cbs-evening-news/

Questions: Despite being in 3rd place, is 5 Mil viewers a night that horrendous?

I doubt Tony D taking over (as rumored by the NY Post will solve anything).

Nora did give off an intense vibe ocassionaly during her time on CTM.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

Questions: Despite being in 3rd place, is 5 Mil viewers a night that horrendous?

I doubt Tony D taking over (as rumored by the NY Post will solve anything).

Nora did give off an intense vibe ocassionaly during her time on CTM.

Tony will not bring the newscast to #1, but I'm sure the thought is that he'd cost less to be #3.

CBS is in a no-win situation. Norah isn't connecting with viewers but changing anchors every few years isn't going to win anyone over either. I think the first mistake was letting Scott Pelley out of the chair.

Edit: OK, that's far from the network's first mistake, but I do think it was a mistake 😆

Edited by mark
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, mark said:

Tony will not bring the newscast to #1, but I'm sure the thought is that he'd cost less to be #3.

CBS is in a no-win situation. Norah isn't connecting with viewers but changing anchors every few years isn't going to win anyone over either. I think the first mistake was letting Scott Pelley out of the chair.

Speaking of changing anchors every few years, another problem with moving Tony to Evening News is yet another casting change to the Gayle King Show...

What are the chances they give a former anchor another shot? Pelley? Glor?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mark said:

Edit: OK, that's far from the network's first mistake, but I do think it was a mistake 😆

Tony is a short term solution to a long term problem. Getting rid of Scott was a huge mistake, having him lead the network through the events that unfolded in the first couple years following would've been helpful. Norah having these behind the scenes "meltdowns" and all the drama is a serious problem for the network and will eventually be a PR issue, we've watched her get angry while she's live on the air, imagine how she acts when the camera is off. 

Brian Williams would be great but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

My suggestion, Ann Curry, she has the experience, look, presentation and leadership. Best of all she's no drama and very straight forward, she would bring in good interviews and stick around long enough for CBS to groom a long term replacement, just 5 years would be long enough for them. She's also been out of news long enough to be viewed as an outsider who isn't caught up in politics and she's no longer immediately associated with NBC & Today, not to mention all the people who would be rooting for her comeback. 

I use to watch Scott every night, the transition to Jeff was weird and people got too comfortable with Anthony Mason.

I haven't consistently watched Norah at all and never will. 

Bringing Scott or Jeff back would be better than what they have now. 

Edited by jrogo
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, jrogo said:

Tony is a short term solution to a long tern problem. Getting rid of Scott was a huge mistake, having him lead the network through the events that unfolded in the first couple years following would've been helpful. Norah having these behind the scenes "meltdowns" and all the drama is a serious problem for the network and will eventually be a PR issue, we've watched her get angry while she's live on the air, imagine how she acts when the camera is off. 

Brian Williams would be great but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

My suggestion, Ann Curry, she has the experience, look, presentation and leadership. Best of all she's no drama and very straight forward, she would bring in good interviews and stick around long enough for CBS to groom a long term replacement, just 5 years would be long enough for them. She's also been out of news long enough to be viewed as an outsider who isn't caught up in politics and she's no longer immediately associated with NBC & Today, not to mention all the people who would be rooting for her comeback. 

I use to watch Scott every night, the transition to Jeff was weird and people got too comfortable with Anthony Mason.

I haven't consistently watched Norah at all and never will. 

Bringing Scott or Jeff back would be better than what they have now. 

I could get on the Ann Curry train... She fits the CBS "straight news" mantra, and I was hoping she would have replaced Norah on the Gayle King Show.

No chance she would likely overtake Lester Holt for the #2 spot, but nevertheless it would be a good chance to redeem herself for getting screwed over by Lauer on "Today". Even if she was the stop gap while a long-term host was groomed, it would transition nicely into a role at 60 Minutes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrogo said:

Tony is a short term solution to a long term problem. Getting rid of Scott was a huge mistake, having him lead the network through the events that unfolded in the first couple years following would've been helpful. 

I think you really hit the nail on the head right here. He was just at the edge of becoming truly recognizable (he was hardly a household name prior to getting the Evening News job) and his measured tone could have really set the network apart as Trump-mania overtook most mainstream news operations. (Side rant: while news orgs of course shouldn't normalize the types of bizarre stuff the former president did/said, much of the coverage surrounding him was filled with over-the-top pearl-clutching. Pelley's straightforward, factual style could have been ideal for such a manic time period.)

Jeff Glor is talented and just might be the future of the network. But installing him on the Evening News was also an obvious attempt to recreate the success of David Muir at ABC. It just wasn't original and it just wasn't his time.

The Ann Curry idea is interesting. For starters, shouldn't at least one of the networks have a female lead anchor? She does real journalism, very much in the CBS tradition. However, the Evening News anchor job requires being exceptionally skilled at reading a teleprompter, but she wasn't exactly well-known for that during her time as newsreader on Today. That said, she does have star power and is an extremely sympathetic figure these days.

I don't see Brian Williams going for another evening news job, where he'd face stiff competition from the other networks and be made to look like a failure when his broadcast is in third. If CBS could somehow snag him for Mornings, he could really showcase his broad range of skills. A Brian Williams/Gayle King pairing could mark a welcomed return of the traditional male/female co-anchored newscast. Would it be worth blowing up the show AGAIN? Maybe not, but Williams' talents would shine on a show like that and talent of his caliber don't become available often.

• Like 1

I’m not sure why people keep mentioning Scott Pelley. He had 7 years to move the needle and did nothing. I’m sorry to burst your bubbles, but to the general viewing public, he sucked. You don’t become recognizable by being put in that chair, but you get put in that chair because you’re recognizable.

I’ve said this a million times, CBS’s bench isn’t that great. ABC and NBC know how to groom their talent. 

• Like 3