CBS Evening News

24994J

On 4/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, newscopter7 said:

The collateral impact to GMA if CBS snagged Stephanopoulos might make it worth it. 

Off topic from CBSEN but I think TJ Holmes has the right lively personality to co-anchor with Robin and Michael.

As for CBSEN, Bob Schiffer was a great successor and I wish he had stuck around until his  retirement in 2015 for stability sake. Schiffer staying on CBSEN, Williams then Holt on NNN and Koppel on WNT (had he not left ABC) would have been a great continuation of the big three era.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I think TJH could be a good replacement for GS when he moves on someday from GMA. Yes I agree about BS. If they had him anchor for 10 years as opposed to for a year and a half I think the ratings would have been better. Then someone else could have been groomed as a successor. Someone else could have taken over FTN. I always thought Holt was better for NNN than Williams and perhaps had Koppel waited even another week before deciding to leave he could have been in a position to anchor WNT and he could have done well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We’ve reached the two year mark with Norah as anchor and the face of CBS News. Personally, I don’t think she’s the worst nor do I think she’s the best. In reality who else does CBS News have?

Again I ask are you all satisfied off dissatisfied with the current state of CBSEN? 

Edited by iron_lion

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I think Norah is a solid journalist but I haven’t been thrilled with her version of CBSEN.

Agreed. It's the same mistake CBS made with Katie Couric on CBSEN... Great journalist and interviewer with a solid resume as a morning host- but an evening anchor she did not make. Norah was a great balance to Gayle on CBSTM with her experience with politics and the happenings in DC, it just didn't translate well to PM.

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

In reality who else does CBS News have?

Herein lies the problem... The answer is honestly no one. They need some stability in their game of musical anchors on their shows. But the bench has been weak for decades- evident when there was no clear successor for Dan Rather (Whereas Holt was waiting in the wings on Williams, Muir for Sawyer). If (and emphasize on "IF") CBS wanted to blow up the EN again, they really have no choice but to hire from outside and realistically missed the boat when NBC scooped up Tom Llamas (which, still unnecessary as they had their next-generational anchor in Jeff Glor)

Even on Weekends, CBS has an identity issue. Good journalists at the helm with zero name recognition- Adriana Who? Meanwhile across the street, weekend anchors who still have prominence during the week and build a connection with viewers- Diaz-Balart and Snow at NBC, Davis and Johnson at ABC who all make appearances on the network's weekday shows and cable/OTT platforms.

But of course, moving EN to Washington and CTM to Times Square will fix everything...

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

My personal favorite version of CBSEN was when Bob Scheiffer was interim anchor from spring 2005 thru summer 2006. 

I think Norah is a solid journalist but I haven’t been thrilled with her version of CBSEN. 

30 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Agreed. It's the same mistake CBS made with Katie Couric on CBSEN...

But the bench has been weak for decades- evident when there was no clear successor for Dan Rather ( Diaz-Balart and Snow at NBC, Davis and Johnson at ABC who all make appearances on the network's weekday shows and cable/OTT platforms.

That clear successor was (in my view) Bob Schiffer. It looked like they were grooming John Roberts with his constant substitutions for Dan, but Bob was better. I like that he kept Rather’s exact same theme, graphics, and set design with a few formatting tweaks added. Im being repetitive but Bob should’ve stuck on CBSEN until his retirement. Perhaps they thought he was “too old” to be their star anchor? But that’s pure speculation.

Norah and Katie exemplify that success in the mornings don’t necessarily translate to be evenings, or elsewhere.

Linsey Davis is showing real promise at ABC!

Edited by iron_lion

6 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Perhaps they thought he was “too old” to be their star anchor? But that’s pure speculation.

We could have a lot of fun over at the Speculatron with this... I'd argue the possibility that Bob was doing well and enjoyed Face The Nation too much to switch.

Another one to speculate would be could some of the NewsNation talent find a home at CBS if that venture folds (cough, Joe Donlon, cough)

• Like 1

As for grooming CBS didnt invest well in that during Dan’s tenure. John Roberts was a frequent substitute but that didn't amount to anything. NBC handled succession the best of the big 3. ABC had rocky moments but Gibsion, Sawyer and Muir were all solid picks.

Edited by iron_lion

I think CBS should have kept Jeff Glor in Evenings. He was just becoming popular when they replaced him with Norah. Unfortunately, there has to be a network that's in third place and David and Lester were still more popular with viewers.

Norah's not a bad anchor but I still liked her better on CTM and as a White House Correspondent.  I also don't care that they sort of copied WNT's method of "shouting" the headlines at the beginning for drama.

I actually do like that the newscast is now based in Washington, as they're always have been more news stories there than in NYC. 

I'll guess we'll see what continues to happen to their ratings. I don't see Norah going away in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

Unfortunately, there has to be a network that's in third place

Facts. But there's third place in a close fight, and then there's the kind of third place that CBS has seemingly become (another example, WBBM-TV)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I also don't care that they sort of copied WNT's method of "shouting" the headlines at the beginning for drama.

I noticed that too. On the contrary I can’t stand it for the same reason, drama. It makes the news seem more stressful, if that makes sense.

• Like 4

On 8/1/2021 at 2:07 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

I think CBS should have kept Jeff Glor in Evenings. He was just becoming popular when they replaced him with Norah. Unfortunately, there has to be a network that's in third place and David and Lester were still more popular with viewers.

Norah's not a bad anchor but I still liked her better on CTM and as a White House Correspondent.  I also don't care that they sort of copied WNT's method of "shouting" the headlines at the beginning for drama.

I actually do like that the newscast is now based in Washington, as they're always have been more news stories there than in NYC. 

I'll guess we'll see what continues to happen to their ratings. I don't see Norah going away in the foreseeable future. 

Jeff Glor’s stardom had already climaxed when he was given the EN. They should’ve given him the position when Katie left, and not to Scott.

49 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Jeff Glor’s stardom had already climaxed when he was given the EN. They should’ve given him the position when Katie left, and not to Scott.

As a Scott Pelley fan, Jeff Glor probably should've been the anchor in 2011, when he was known at the time as the Early Show news reader.

The timing for Glor wasn't right in 2011. He had just been installed on the doomed Wragge-Hill Early Show, and I'm certain they wanted the stability there. Hell, Glor wound up as temporary anchor when Chris Wragge went back to WCBS late in the year. Besides, CBS hadn't exactly given him a higher profile, as he had only spent a short time as Saturday evening anchor, before Russ Mitchell added that to his Sunday role. Personally, I think Russ should've been in the mix to get the top job as soon as Rather was shown the door. When Couric was stepping aside, they wanted a clear, 180-degree shift in format and tone from Katie, which made Scott Pelley an obvious choice to fill such a program. Jeff didn't have that established style and voice to convey the network's intentions.

For example, look at ABC's anchor change in 2014. David Muir had been on weekends for like 7 years, had been the most frequent fill-in for Diane, was molded in her image, so upon reaching the weeknight chair, the show's format remained the same. The transition was so smooth. What CBS attempted in 2011 is like if ABC installed Stephanopoulos after Diane. Such a move would've signaled an obvious departure from the Sawyer style, heralding a return to the more serious program that it had been under Jennings and Gibson.

If Jeff had succeeded Katie, they would've not only had to promote the hell out of the tonal shift, but also build up the image of a comparative unknown, while trying to shift eyeballs from absolute rock stars in Sawyer and BriWi. Plus, by promoting Pelley, they had a whole body of 60 Minutes work to make clear their intentions. Jeff was right to succeed Scott, though I feel it was too soon, but his ultimate demise was even swifter.

At this point, they can play with story selection, visuals, set, and sound, but they need to commit to Nora for the long haul. Every anchor change has hurt the ratings, and they don't have many more viewers to lose.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, NYTV said:

According to the New York Post, possible cost-cutting measures at CBS, may have Norah O'Donnell leaving the "Evening News"

https://nypost.com/2021/10/24/norah-odonnell-in-danger-of-losing-anchor-spot-at-cbs-evening-news/

Good bye Norah O'Donnell. I wonder if CBS News  will go back to the affiliate model they did for the weekend evening news during the pandemic and make it for  weekdays. I would love to see KDKA-TV 's news team do a newscast for the entire country and then have it rotate to every CBS Affiliate in the US until you find a successor to Norah. Who they currently have at the network level SUCKS and they know it. 

Keep in mind that the New York Post is a tabloid, and the whole story is based on anonymous sources. Try not to get ahead of yourselves. Also, even if she does end up leaving, her contract is up in the spring, so it'll be a while before anything happens.

• Like 7

Exactly; there are people in New York who want to be doing something at 6:30 p.m., and will stir the pot however they can to get back to work. Viacom can't get a refund on the set work done in Washington at this point, and this reads as someone's book report on 'Why Norah O'Donnell is a Big Meanie and Should Be Grounded'...and they should have been failed because a lot of this report drones on and on about Gayle King's status to fill out the column inches.

• Like 1

Norah’s reputation has been widely reported over the last several years as being difficult to work with so I don’t think this is just someone bored and trying stir a hit piece up. However, I’ll believe it when I see it. It is interesting that a Business Insider piece reported something similar just last month. Where there’s smoke there’s fire…

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1